upcoming movies

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

upcoming movies

Post by zoegirl »

I would like to see two main movies this CHristmas season.

One will definitely be Voyage of the Dawn treader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwaFwqR0 ... re=channel and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJQDPpIK6I

And a more historical one called The King's Speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOS ... r_embedded
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: upcoming movies

Post by B. W. »

zoegirl wrote:I would like to see two main movies this CHristmas season.

One will definitely be Voyage of the Dawn treader. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwaFwqR0 ... re=channel and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrJQDPpIK6I

And a more historical one called The King's Speech http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aS4hoOS ... r_embedded
These look good Zoe

I'll most likely see these...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Echoside
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Echoside »

Oh wow I didn't know they were making a movie for the first, I haven't read that book in like 10 years. I will definitely have to check out voyage of the dawn treader.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Echoside wrote:Oh wow I didn't know they were making a movie for the first, I haven't read that book in like 10 years. I will definitely have to check out voyage of the dawn treader.

By the looks of the trailer and review - they have taken a little artistic license with it though and changed the plot a bit. But we will see.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

The changes in the first weren't so bad....They messed up Prince Caspian but it looks like they kept much of the spirit of the story.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Just saw The Kings Speech today and I loved it!! It was an amazing story amazingly played by both Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush. In reading about King George VI and subsequently King Edward, it is rather stunning to see God's hands through this troubled times. Through something as seemingly trivial as wanting to marry a divorcee (at least now), King Edward abdicated his throne. What's rather interesting is that he was widely thought to be more sympathetic to the Nazi's than he should be and it was definite that he supported appeasement to Hitler.

Through all of this constitutional crisis, the prime minister Winston Churchill came into his position and between Winston Churchill and King George there was greater opposition to such a heinous power as Hitler. It's also rather stunning to see the growth in King George VI.

Just a wonderful movie. There is some strong language in it....it's not the typical strong language, however, of movies that just throw in vile language for the sake of it. In his speech therapy, there is a scene where he is encourage to speak some rather strong words to aid in his stammer. But because of this it was rated R. It hardly is worth that rating and should not stop anyone (over 17, well, even then a mature teen could definitely enjoy it) to see it.

See it, see it, see it....very good.
mitchco
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by mitchco »

Did you know that in most movies which the majority of them are manufactured for profit are mediums where spiritual wickedness in high places sell their ideas to an ignorant majority into accepting things that are immoral as normal behaviour.As christians we need to be careful what our eyes and ears take in. Once i got saved the Lord took me out of the worlds trough and placed me in the mountain of God that by his grace i can see from his perspestive what is good and what is not. The big screen and television is satans classroom where many pass in evil but fail in righteousness . So we need to walk in the fear of God because this is the beginning of wisdom.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Sooo...are there no good movies in your view?

This was a story of a man who, although reluctant and fearful of becoming king because of his speech impediment and views of his inadequacies, confronted his problem and through the friendship and encouragement from his speech therapist and wife, learned ot have confidence in his role, overcome his speech impediment, and lead his country through a horrible time.

Is this a movie to avoid? Why?
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Both look good. I enjoyed both Chronicles of Narnia movies, although Prince Caspian not as much. I don't mind the idea of changing content, especially seeing as there isn't much to the book. It's just that the changes weren't very good ones, and in the end it felt too much like a PG version of The Lord of the Rings. From what I've heard The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is an improvement. Too bad it didn't open well at the box office, although it has held better than Prince Caspian, probably partly because of good word of mouth.

Another one I'd like to see as a western fan is True Grit. The original wasn't the best John Wayne movie ever, but I liked it. Coen brothers make some good movies, although there's often some offensive content stuck in there.
Young, Restless, Reformed
mitchco
Acquainted Member

Post by mitchco »

Hi Zoegirl I myself dont mind movies which are based on historical facts and in truth show mans struggle in this life. I was just making the point that most movies and tv shows are funded by certain industrie groups which make money by normalising behaviour which the bible classes as sin. For an example if a pharmacuetical company wants to sell more drugs like for depression or anxiety it funds movies like sex and the city and portrays that single life and being divorced sets you on a path to freedom which is a lie. Gods word says he hates divorce. When relationships in families break down it affects the children is it any wonder that the emo culture is huge in the western world. Emo children the majority are from broken homes.They look at suicide as an escape. In my work as i witness these truths to secular people they are amazed it shows them that the love of money is the route of all evil. This world bathes itself in a cesspool of filth and most of it comes out of the US and the western world. Another movie Avatar which was so successful at the box office which is fantasy i heard on the radio that a lot of people had suicidal thoughts they would like to escape the world they are living in. I myself havent seen these movies . I believe the devil is a roaring lion looking to devour the hearts and minds of people. As christians we need to keep our battle gear on the helmet of salvation the breast plate of righteousness and the shield of faith and the feet shod with the gospel of peace. My children which go to a christian school have come up against fellow students and even teachers which have said to them to be quiet because they have said that a lot of kids movies are evil. In the western world especially the churches they are rich and in need of nothing but jesus says come and purchase eye salve that you may see. Gods word says do not love the world and the things that are in the world. I heard an old pastor say that when jesus washed the feet of the disciples he wasnt just cleansing them from sin but also from the world because his word must be carried out into the world by people who will walk in cleanliness. I am writing this not aimed at anyone but just as a witness of things that god has showed me bless you in jesus name.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I just saw the The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in the Narnia series.. I REALLY liked it, in fact I think it was better than Prince Caspian and Harry Potter and Tron.

I'm surprised it didn't get better ratings.. :esad: I only hope they launch "The Silver Chair" next..

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
mitchco
Acquainted Member

Post by mitchco »

Beware of CS Lewis. CS Lewis taught in his book (mere christianity pp 62,63) that water baptism and sacrements were means to finding,what he termed as, the christ life. New agers and ecumenical compromises love to hail Lewis, because his philosophies attempt to yoke christian beliefs with pagan religion. In this book mere christianity page 139 Lewis refers to man is the highest animal (1st corinth 15:39 calls Mr Lewis a liar). CS Lewis held that the biblical genesis account came from pagan and mythical sources. This is what he says from the book (Reflections on the Psalms, page 110) I have therefore no difficulty accepting, say, the view of those scholars who tell us that the account of creation in genesis is derived from earlier Semitic stories which were Pagan and mythical. If it is true to say that you are what you eat then it is also true to say that a christian is what he hears and reads, since this is how he gets his spiritual food. Thus if christians are brought up on a diet of CS Lewis, it should not surprise us to find they are seeking to continue the legacy of CS Lewis a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump Galatians 5:9. Thus if christians read and applaud such books as Mere Christianity, it should come as no surprise if we find them working towards a common mission with the enemies of the gospel. Lewis taught Theistic Evolution. Lewis believed that God created the universe, but then men evolved from animals (The problem of Pain pp 133, 77). CS Lewis is no christian, what comes out of mans mouth defiles him. His message is a confused mixture of Paganism and christianity . We need to protect our children from Lewis. With in 15 minutes of the opening scene in Narnia viewers are face to face with pan the Pagan sex god. Look at images of pan on the net and look at mr Tumnus guess what you are looking at the same thing. Satanists and people familiar with witchcraft can instantly recognize pan the evil sexually perverted god.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Whether C.S. Lewis is Christian or not is up to God.. But I happened to like the movie. Of course we can dissect any movie to the ground and come up with evil. In that respect there is no "true to God" movie. None. But that doesn't mean we throw away the parables either..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

mitchco wrote:Beware of CS Lewis. CS Lewis taught in his book (mere christianity pp 62,63) that water baptism and sacrements were means to finding,what he termed as, the christ life. New agers and ecumenical compromises love to hail Lewis, because his philosophies attempt to yoke christian beliefs with pagan religion. In this book mere christianity page 139 Lewis refers to man is the highest animal (1st corinth 15:39 calls Mr Lewis a liar). CS Lewis held that the biblical genesis account came from pagan and mythical sources. This is what he says from the book (Reflections on the Psalms, page 110) I have therefore no difficulty accepting, say, the view of those scholars who tell us that the account of creation in genesis is derived from earlier Semitic stories which were Pagan and mythical. If it is true to say that you are what you eat then it is also true to say that a christian is what he hears and reads, since this is how he gets his spiritual food. Thus if christians are brought up on a diet of CS Lewis, it should not surprise us to find they are seeking to continue the legacy of CS Lewis a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump Galatians 5:9. Thus if christians read and applaud such books as Mere Christianity, it should come as no surprise if we find them working towards a common mission with the enemies of the gospel. Lewis taught Theistic Evolution. Lewis believed that God created the universe, but then men evolved from animals (The problem of Pain pp 133, 77). CS Lewis is no christian, what comes out of mans mouth defiles him. His message is a confused mixture of Paganism and christianity . We need to protect our children from Lewis. With in 15 minutes of the opening scene in Narnia viewers are face to face with pan the Pagan sex god. Look at images of pan on the net and look at mr Tumnus guess what you are looking at the same thing. Satanists and people familiar with witchcraft can instantly recognize pan the evil sexually perverted god.
mitchco, nothing personal but this type of judgemental tripe this early in the morning makes my feet itch.

Is there anything more positive you can turn your attention to than this?

God will be the judge of who is a true Christian and who is not. Not you. Not me. Not anyone else.

Pray that God treats you with more Grace than you just treated the memory of C.S. Lewis with.
Matt 18:23-35 Therefore the Kingdom of Heaven is like a certain king, who wanted to reconcile accounts with his servants. When he had begun to reconcile, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. But because he couldn’t pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, with his wife, his children, and all that he had, and payment to be made. The servant therefore fell down and kneeled before him, saying, ‘Lord, have patience with me, and I will repay you all!’ The lord of that servant, being moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt. "But that servant went out, and found one of his fellow servants, who owed him one hundred denarii, and he grabbed him, and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ "So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will repay you!’ He would not, but went and cast him into prison, until he should pay back that which was due. So when his fellow servants saw what was done, they were exceedingly sorry, and came and told to their lord all that was done. Then his lord called him in, and said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt, because you begged me. Shouldn’t you also have had mercy on your fellow servant, even as I had mercy on you?’ His lord was angry, and delivered him to the tormentors, until he should pay all that was due to him. So my heavenly Father will also do to you, if you don’t each forgive your brother from your hearts for his misdeeds."
C.S. Lewis was not a perfect man by any means. The use of literary metaphors in a fantasy story is hardly grounds for what you've written here. There's not shortage of shortcomings in C.S. Lewis' life that you could have added. Lewis did lean toward Theistic Evolution. What of it? Theistic Evolution is a viable theory for how God accomplished His creative works. Most of us here are not Theistic Evolutionists, but we do not question people's salvation who are or consider the possibility.

When you can stand the same scrutiny and are a perfect person, then you'll be fit to sit in that seat of judgement over another man's salvation. Until you are, criticism and disagreement are fine and welcome, but this sort of stuff speak more about the person speaking than the one being spoken about and I hope you'll reconsider before doing it again.

Think about it.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
mitchco
Acquainted Member

Post by mitchco »

Gman what you are saying then is that every one who calls themselves a christian is a christian. Then why on some forum sites is there topics on mormons and JWs even on unitarians and calling them cults. According to you we must not judge them just label them christians and let the mormons keep preaching unhinderd that Jesus is Satans half brother. We know that these groups are cults why because we take their doctrines and match it with scripture to see if its the truth. CS Lewis and no other man goes under the radar of gods word. To say that Its my judgement is false we have the sword Gods word why is it a sword because it slays lies and liars. I was raised in a catholic home we all believed that we were christians. Every Sunday morning my dad would drop me off to catholic lessons for three hours. This went on for 10 years most of us kids had our ears pulled faces slapped hair pulled because of this action by the nuns i hated God and the Bible. Catholic doctrines are demonic these groups destroy little childrens minds. What the nuns did to me was horrific but this i say i thank God why it put in me a spirit of dont trust man or his doctrines simply just rely on Jesus and his word and no other man. I got saved by reading the bible and matching the word of God to what i was taught by the nuns. What the catholics do is they work on the person to destroy any faith that person has so they can control you. I hope you understand when i found out that CS Lewis in his last days was visiting a priest and leaning towards catholicism it made me look into this mans doctrines. His writings are so mixed with false statements the same application I used to escape the catholic church I used to see that his interpretation of christianity is false. Please consider these scriptures 1Kings chpt 22 vrs 21to23 and 2Chronicles chpt 18 vrs 22 God sends lying prophets. Why to test the watchmen. Watchmen are meant to bark like dogs to warn the sheep from the wolf. Isaiah 56 vrs 10 His watchmen are blind, they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs,they cannot BARK ,sleeping, lying down , loving to slumber. Looks like the church of Laodicea. Just like Ezekiel in chpt 3 vrs 17 his job was to be a watchmen at the walls of Zion trumpeting against religious apostasy. Brothers in christ if we know that God sends lying prophets we must be watchmen and if we lose our Bark ourselves and the wolf is allowed to sneak in we are exposing Gods people to satans wolves. In Israel when a shepherd took his sheep to graze during the day the dogs would protect the sheep from wolves they would bark and inform the shepherd of danger sometimes the shepherd and even the dogs sustain injury from the wolves in protecting the flock. The shepherd also like in Psalm 23 anoints the sheeps head with oil why to protect it from the snakes when sheep grazes in or next to the snakes hole. The oil prevents the snake from latching on. What a beautiful picture of the holy spirit. Please investigate these claims yourselves in the spirit of love.