Denominations

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Mary
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Denominations

Post by Mary »

I was just curious about the specific denominations of everyone here.

So what denomination is the church you usually attend?
"The LORD is my light and my salvation; of whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Denominations

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I attend an independent non-deminational church when I attend organizational church services.

I think the word denominations only applies to man made institutions and organizations. The body of Christ knows no denominations. You're either a part of the living body of Christ or you're not.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Mary
Acquainted Member

Post by Mary »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I attend an independent non-deminational church when I attend organizational church services.

I think the word denominations only applies to man made institutions and organizations. The body of Christ knows no denominations. You're either a part of the living body of Christ or you're not.

I was just asking because I was curious about the differences in the way the churches worship(though the thing that really matters is that you are worshipping), I do no consider myself to be in any certain denomination, though the church I attend is Lutheran.
"The LORD is my light and my salvation; of whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
zoegirl
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

sometimes Presbyterian, sometimes non-denominational
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Raised Presbyterian but currently attend a non-denominational Bible Church. Chip Ingram (Dallas Theological seminary) was my former pastor. You might have heard of him since he is very popular.

http://www.livingontheedge.org/home/chi ... corner.php
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I attend an Evangelical church, although specific denominations don't really matter much to me.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

I attend a Baptist Church.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Catholic (Eastern Rite, Church of Antioch).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
August
Old School

Post by August »

PCA, although I am ordained in an evangelical church.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

Saved in a Nazerene, baptized at Baptist Missionary and now, non denominational
I am the wretch the song refers to.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Roman Catholic Church
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I guess I should note all the different denomination that have touched me then .....

Raised in the Anglican Church in Canada.
Father was raised Pentecostal in Canada and when we visited his family we often attended pentecostal, Assemblies of God type churches.
Accepted Christ at age 12 in an Associated Gospel Church of Canada and attended there for 3 years.
Attended a Christian Elementary School in Canada for 3 years, run by Dutch Reformed community.
Was touched through the ministry of the Canadian Revival Fellowship through that same AGC church in Canada at age 12.
Moved to the US at age 15 and went to a Christian and MIssionary Alliance Church in South Florida.
Attended an evangelical independent school for 2 years.
Family changed to a Southern Baptist Church at age 16.
Went to Oral Roberts University at age 17. Impacted by Charismatic movement. Went to many churches in the area including, United Methodist, Assemblies of God, Independent Word churches, Rhema Church of Kenneth Hagin.
Went to Palm Beach Atlantic College at age 18, affilated Southern Baptist school. Attended a SBC church and went to a charaismatic fellowship in the afternoons with a friend.
Returned to ORU at age 19. Settled into an SBC church there and was eventually licensed to preach Southern Baptist.
Married a presbyterian at age 21 in a PCUS church in Florida (still married 26 years and 5 kinds later)
Returned from College to South Florida, attended C&MA churches.
Went to work for a United Methodist Church as a financial manager for 3 years while continuing to attend an Alliance Church.
Ordained in the C&MA after a 2 year Ordination program.
Primarily working in and attending C&MA churches for many years.
Worked in a PCA church for 5 years and remained in the church for 5 years.

PHew ..... no wonder I can be so confused (and confusing) at times ....... ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Our congregation is Southern Baptist, but we are hardly your typical SBC.

There is another way to look at denominationalism. Not all denominationalism is becuase of differences, but because certain groups focus on a particular aspect of Christianity. Some focus on evangelism, some on personal holiness. Sadly most of what we recognize is because of differences.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I don't think there is a "typical SBC." There's quite a scope and the only requirement I think to be SBC is to want to take the name, accept the basic statement of faith, send representatives to the annual conference and provide financial support to the SBC missions.

Each church is independent. Each church credentials its own workers and pastors.

It's one of the hardest (in my opinion) denominations to minister in, (from the perspective of a pastor.) Pastors can be (and are) removed for any number of reasons, or no reason at all (the average SBC pastor has been fired at least 1 time in their lives.)

I was briefly headed in the direction of SBC mninistry after I was licensed to preach. I interviewed with an SBC pastor (who since then has been an SBC president) who pretty much told me that because I went to ORU and even at that time had OEC leanings that there was no place in the SBC for me. This was just before Mohler's housecleaning of SBC and SBC institutional seminaries and colleges. I took that pastor's advice and left the SBC. I've never regretted that. No bitterness over it. I just wouldn't have fit even then before I became the full-scale radical I now appear to be ;)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I interviewed with an SBC pastor (who since then has been an SBC president) who pretty much told me that because I went to ORU and even at that time had OEC leanings that there was no place in the SBC for me. This was just before Mohler's housecleaning of SBC and SBC institutional seminaries and colleges. I took that pastor's advice and left the SBC. I've never regretted that. No bitterness over it. I just wouldn't have fit even then before I became the full-scale radical I now appear to be ;)
Surprised? Before my church became non-denominational they were SBC. Unfortunately they still hold on to some YEC beliefs.. But I guess you can't have everything. :(
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8