What happens when we die?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
roysan78
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

What happens when we die?

Post by roysan78 »

Has anyone questioned what if we're wrong and there is no Heaven, Hell, or afterlife? I have often pondered the idea that when we die, that's it. And that is scary. I can't help but be at the dinner table with wife and kid and think I will die and enter eternal blackness forever. It is scary to me. Has anyone thought about that? I hate the fact that even though I make the most of my life there will be a day when I will cease to exist. Even if there is an afterlife, it's not going to be fun like this life. I like things such as going to movies, hanging out with friends, going to work, going to bars - that won't be in the afterlife. It will be boring in the afterlife. I grew up in a Christian family but don't really believe anymore for one reason - prayer. I have lost many family members and have tried to pray to God to let me know they are with him and never was a prayer answered in my dreams or anything.

So to my question - what if nothingness awaits? It wouldn't suck once we die, but thinking about it sucks. So..what if we are wrong? What if no afterlife? What if eternal nothingnes?
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: What happens when we die?

Post by Byblos »

roysan78 wrote:Has anyone questioned what if we're wrong and there is no Heaven, Hell, or afterlife? I have often pondered the idea that when we die, that's it. And that is scary. I can't help but be at the dinner table with wife and kid and think I will die and enter eternal blackness forever. It is scary to me. Has anyone thought about that? I hate the fact that even though I make the most of my life there will be a day when I will cease to exist. Even if there is an afterlife, it's not going to be fun like this life. I like things such as going to movies, hanging out with friends, going to work, going to bars - that won't be in the afterlife. It will be boring in the afterlife. I grew up in a Christian family but don't really believe anymore for one reason - prayer. I have lost many family members and have tried to pray to God to let me know they are with him and never was a prayer answered in my dreams or anything.

So to my question - what if nothingness awaits? It wouldn't suck once we die, but thinking about it sucks. So..what if we are wrong? What if no afterlife? What if eternal nothingnes?
Then you would have nothing to worry about, would youi? The question you should be asking yourself AND worry about is if we're right.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

God did answer you.

It is His word.

If, as you say, that there is nothing, then your thoughts are also nothing. The love you felt, nothing. Just a result of a meaningless cosmic accident.

or, it could be that your own self-awareness and ability to contemplate such things is the answer God placed within you. I guess it is all how you look at it.

You have no hope. And my friend, there is hope.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

roysan78 wrote:So to my question - what if nothingness awaits? It wouldn't suck once we die, but thinking about it sucks. So..what if we are wrong? What if no afterlife? What if eternal nothingnes?
And what if there was an afterlife and you found you just wasted all your time here on earth thinking that there wasn't? And what if we found that we are going to be judged according to our works in the afterlife, but since we didn't believe in an afterlife we did what we pleased and lived a selfish life? Seems to me it would be a huge mistake to say that there is no God and no afterlife. I can't speak for everyone here but I'd rather live a life of wisdom than a fool.. But then again, we can do what we please with our lives, and if we choose to jump off a cliff no one can stop it...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
roysan78
Acquainted Member

Post by roysan78 »

Wouldn't that be scary though if you just laid there for eternity?? I mean, I suppose when you die and that happens, you dont even know, it'll be like before you were born..but thinking about it is scary
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

roysan78 wrote:Wouldn't that be scary though if you just laid there for eternity?? I mean, I suppose when you die and that happens, you dont even know, it'll be like before you were born..but thinking about it is scary
But wouldn't it even be scarier if you gambled away your life on eternity for nothing?? I mean there are some people in life who don't even consider the afterlife or the consequences of their actions like drones. They go through life totally ingrained in this temporary life, try to make heaven on earth, then watch it all backfire in their faces.. Seems ridiculous to me.. But go ahead, call God a fool and move on...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
ElShamah
Familiar Member

Post by ElShamah »

A pastor , his wife, and two diacons of the church went to a night pray meeting , one hour away from where they lived. When they returned, they had a car accident. The diacons and the pastors wife died. The pastor got into coma. He felt as leaving his body, and arrived to the gates of heaven, and saw his wife, and the two diacons, amongst others, enter the gates, with a bright smile on their lips. He heard a voice, Jesus was talking to him, and said : your time isn't coming yet, there is still a lot of things i want you to do on earth. Said that, he wake up, and saw his children at his side , on the bed of the hospital. They did not have courage to tell him his wife had died. So he said to them : i know what happened to your mom. And he told the vision he had. That happened near where i live. Along over twenty years as chrisitan i have heared similar stories like that. Check google, and you will find many people telling their after life experience. There is no reason to doubt, what the bible tells, is true.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

roysan78 wrote:Has anyone questioned what if we're wrong and there is no Heaven, Hell, or afterlife? I have often pondered the idea that when we die, that's it. And that is scary. I can't help but be at the dinner table with wife and kid and think I will die and enter eternal blackness forever. It is scary to me. Has anyone thought about that? I hate the fact that even though I make the most of my life there will be a day when I will cease to exist.
To me, that wouldn't be scary, but I think the last sentence here is telling. It's scary to think that we are conscious, thinking beings, that look toward the future, and when there is none to think about, there is despair.
Even if there is an afterlife, it's not going to be fun like this life. I like things such as going to movies, hanging out with friends, going to work, going to bars - that won't be in the afterlife.
Where do you get this idea? What do you base it upon? I think the next life is going to be way more amazing, joyful, fun, etc.
It will be boring in the afterlife. I grew up in a Christian family but don't really believe anymore for one reason - prayer. I have lost many family members and have tried to pray to God to let me know they are with him and never was a prayer answered in my dreams or anything.
Where do you get the idea that God needs to let you know? Does God owe you that information? I see ElShamah posted something on this. I wonder if my dad will be in heaven, but I don't base my belief about God and what he has in store for me on whether my dad is there or not. My dad's salvation is between him and God.
So to my question - what if nothingness awaits? It wouldn't suck once we die, but thinking about it sucks. So..what if we are wrong? What if no afterlife? What if eternal nothingness?
If there's nothing, what does it matter, except that it would make me grumpy (because this life's pleasures are fleeting and it's a pain getting old, lol)? However, you do need to consider that if your soul is eternal, where will it be when you die? Which everyone here keeps saying. Would you want to talk about why you don't think heaven will be great, or something?
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Well said spock.... ;)

cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

Gman wrote:Well said spock.... ;)
\\// Live long and prosper. :D
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

When we die we leave our bodies and float toward a tunnel with a bright white light at the other end. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =104397005

What's on the other side is either the ressurection to life or the ressurrection to judgement depending on your relationship to God through Christ. We will all die and experience this unless Christ returns first.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

ageofknowledge wrote:When we die we leave our bodies and float toward a tunnel with a bright white light at the other end. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =104397005

What's on the other side is either the ressurection to life or the ressurrection to judgement depending on your relationship to God through Christ. We will all die and experience this unless Christ returns first.
Yes, my grandfather can attest to that too after he was hit by a car. He saw this same tunnel of light...

More on NDE here..

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 72&start=0

roysan78
Acquainted Member

Post by roysan78 »

Gman, do you happen to have a (personal) means of contacting you..won't let me send PM's here..I have some questions but would rather ask outside the forum that maybe you or someone else can help with
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

roysan78 wrote:Gman, do you happen to have a (personal) means of contacting you..won't let me send PM's here..I have some questions but would rather ask outside the forum that maybe you or someone else can help with
Roysan, you should be able to pm me here from the forum. Just click above when it says (new messages) and then just pm to Gman. You should have that capability.

Thanks,
G -

roysan78
Acquainted Member

Post by roysan78 »

My PM'ing is locked for some reason