More people believe in aliens then God?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
kurtney64
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

More people believe in aliens then God?

Post by kurtney64 »

Just found this article on yahoo and thought it was pretty interesting. Not sure if I really find the source credible, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. I had actually heard that around 85% of people had said they had a belief in God.... not 54% as I believe the article states.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... orethangod
Gman
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: More people believe in aliens then God?

Post by Gman »

kurtney64 wrote:Just found this article on yahoo and thought it was pretty interesting. Not sure if I really find the source credible, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. I had actually heard that around 85% of people had said they had a belief in God.... not 54% as I believe the article states.

Well if you look at the History or A&E channels it sure appears that way.. ET = good, God = bad. It's quite interesting... Here we have all mysteries and warmth of God, heaven, or angels right before our eyes and yet we would rather chase crop circles and space ships... Go figure. y:-?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
harth1026
Familiar Member

Post by harth1026 »

I can see 85% of people believing in God, but it could be that 54% may people he's worth worshiping. As for the aliens thing, I blame Star Trek in giving us the false idea that humanoid life forms have evolved on hundreds of worlds within the first 19% of the explored galaxy and making everyone think that life evolves so easily.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Gman wrote:
kurtney64 wrote:Just found this article on yahoo and thought it was pretty interesting. Not sure if I really find the source credible, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. I had actually heard that around 85% of people had said they had a belief in God.... not 54% as I believe the article states.

Well if you look at the History or A&E channels it sure appears that way.. ET = good, God = bad. It's quite interesting... Here we have all mysteries and warmth of God, heaven, or angels right before our eyes and yet we would rather chase crop circles and space ships... Go figure. y:-?
"Beam me up - Jesus"

...Aye, Aye Capt'n
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

Most people don't believe there is enough "evidence" to support the existence of God, that is "just a faith thing" (most of us know better). Still, they consider questionable "sightings" and "abductions" enough to support UFO's and alien existence.
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
Cross.eyed
Valued Member

Post by Cross.eyed »

rodyshusband wrote:Most people don't believe there is enough "evidence" to support the existence of God, that is "just a faith thing" (most of us know better). Still, they consider questionable "sightings" and "abductions" enough to support UFO's and alien existence.
This kind of thing makes us wonder how people could find more comfort with aliens than with God.
Maybe it's because they think the E.T.'s won't judge them. :?
I am the wretch the song refers to.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Cross.eyed wrote:
rodyshusband wrote:Most people don't believe there is enough "evidence" to support the existence of God, that is "just a faith thing" (most of us know better). Still, they consider questionable "sightings" and "abductions" enough to support UFO's and alien existence.
This kind of thing makes us wonder how people could find more comfort with aliens than with God.

Or maybe it was the glowing finger of healing that does not judge???

However, ET had enough of this place....''Phone home....phone home...''

:mrgreen:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
rodyshusband
Established Member

Post by rodyshusband »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Excellent point!
“Christianity provides a unified answer for the whole of life.” -- Francis Schaeffer
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

The Pew Center published a 2007 study asserting that 92% of Americans belive in God or a higher power of some kind with 76% declaring the Christian worldview in some fashion. I disbelieve any assertion that more than 92% of Americans believe in aliens.

Image Take me to your leader
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by imoneru? »

Cross.eyed wrote:
Forget Aliens and E.T.lets bring it down to present day preferences, compare the number of people in attendence at any major FOOTBALL game with the number of people in attendence at any given church Sunday mornings, then when you accept the fact that some of those at the sporting event have payed upwords of $500.00 for a good seat for a championship game, and that the same people would never consider putting $20.00 in a church collection plate, it dosn't take a rocket scientist to realize where the priority of the largest percent of people lies. Sad to say but I believe if God vs Sports were to be put to a vote as to which is to be abolished I hope I am wrong when I say God would come in second...Ray
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

That's not a fair comparison. Typically there's only one arena in a given area larger than a city serving a good-sized geographical area. Compare that with all of the church attendees in that same area.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

AOK,
OK, what about the ones who religiously watch from home?
If football games were on Sunday morning, which would get more viewership/attendance??
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

jlay wrote:AOK,
OK, what about the ones who religiously watch from home?
If football games were on Sunday morning, which would get more viewership/attendance??
Nielson has sports programming way ahead of religious programming in the number of viewers drawn. You win this point.
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by imoneru? »

ageofknowledge wrote:That's not a fair comparison. Typically there's only one arena in a given area larger than a city serving a good-sized geographical area. Compare that with all of the church attendees in that same area.
You make a very valid point, stupid me wasn't thinking that all the games I have watched take place in the afternoon or evening but I believe the donations issue is still valid or the coaches and players wouldn't be making millions of dollars a year,I have read and heard that Joyce Meyer, Ken Kopeland , and some other Televanglists do but I can't think of any of the local churches that do. I know when I take up the collection at the church I attend quite a number of dollar bills are given in the offering plate and our attendence runs around 80-100...Ray
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

I often wonder if we love foot ball more than God. People paint themselves, get all excited, and even bow down to their teams coach. It was once said that foot ball in the largest secular religion on earth. People get pumped to see the games, and they spend oh so much on them, but for God, what will they do. They will fight over their teams, and even in some cases kill over them, but would they go so far for God? They seem to have more faith in foot ball than in God. Just my 2 cents though. Foot ball is seasonal, so they can't be that way year round..... can they?
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.