Jewish Sacrifical System, Atonement and Jesus

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Jewish Sacrifical System, Atonement and Jesus

Post by Christian2 »

According to a Jew I know and what I have determined by some Jewish Internet sources blood sacrifices were only for unintentional sins and animal sacrifices only covered relatively minor unintentional sins.

If this is true then when we Christians say that Jesus died for our sins, His blood sacrifice only covered the little unintentional sins. What about the intentional sins? How did Jesus cover them?
Bernie
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes

Post by Bernie »

Hi Christian2,

I think this is a good question. Seems to me the Bible says the one who sins intentionally will be cut off and die re Deut 15:30-36, Ezek 18:4 and other places.

Jesus' atonement appears not to cover intentional sin, thus the eternality of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit re Mark 3:29 and Luke 12:10.

The rationally esoteric sense of Scripture is the only way to solve this seeming puzzle, by the way....
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Bernie wrote:Jesus' atonement appears not to cover intentional sin, thus the eternality of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit re Mark 3:29 and Luke 12:10.
Luk 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
Luk 23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
Luk 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
Luk 23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
Luk 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is but one, and the only sin not covered.

How many sins are there that are unintentional? Opps, sorry I didn't mean to rob that bank.

If Jesus' Sacrifice wasn't good enough to cover ALL sins, save for the blaspheing of the Holy Spirit no one would be saved.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
Bernie
Familiar Member

Q

Post by Bernie »

Hello IRQ,
How many sins are there that are unintentional? Opps, sorry I didn't mean to rob that bank.
I'm not sure I understand the question in light of the second comment. Could you elaborate?
If Jesus' Sacrifice wasn't good enough to cover ALL sins, save for the blaspheing of the Holy Spirit no one would be saved.
I suspect blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is performed with incredible frequency, yet if what you say is true, that Jesus died for all sins, then even blasphemy is forgiveable.

"....all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27)

Do you believe Scripture is true?
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

To add to the question, is unbelief a sin?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
IRQ Conflict

Re: Q

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Bernie wrote:Hello IRQ,
I'm not sure I understand the question in light of the second comment. Could you elaborate?
I suspect blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is performed with incredible frequency, yet if what you say is true, that Jesus died for all sins, then even blasphemy is forgiveable.

"....all things are possible with God." (Mark 10:27)

Do you believe Scripture is true?
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to give credit to someone or something other than the Holy Spirit for what the Spirit did. That is my understanding of it. Yes all things are possible with God, that does not change the fact the God Himself said that Blasphemy of Christ was forgivable but the Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit was not.

The question above was strictly sarcastic. What I meant by saying this is that most sins are intentional having foreknowledge of good and evil. If we continue in any sin in an unrepentive way we will be judged on it.
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

August wrote:To add to the question, is unbelief a sin?
Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Heb 4:11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I would say so, yes.
Hellfire

August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
August wrote:To add to the question, is unbelief a sin?
Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Heb 4:11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

I would say so, yes.
Then that begs the question, if Jesus died for all sin, are unbelievers saved?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

No, unbelievers are not saved. No one comes to the Father but through Christ.
Hellfire