IMPORTANT, please help.

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
SillyPutty
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

IMPORTANT, please help.

Post by SillyPutty »

I go to a non-denominational church and my friend from work goes to "Church of Christ" where they do NOT use instruments during service. My church does of course as we are charismatic. She said the reason that the Church of Christ believes that we are not to use instuments is because the bible says to "make music and melody in your heart unto the Lord" and that there is no NT reference to instuments being used during a worship service.

Please help me with this issue. My friends says her church believes that we should not add to or take away from the bible, (which implys that my church does by the fact that we do use these musical insturments).

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
To those who believe no explanation is necessary, but to those who do not none will suffice.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: IMPORTANT, please help.

Post by Byblos »

SillyPutty wrote:I go to a non-denominational church and my friend from work goes to "Church of Christ" where they do NOT use instruments during service. My church does of course as we are charismatic. She said the reason that the Church of Christ believes that we are not to use instuments is because the bible says to "make music and melody in your heart unto the Lord" and that there is no NT reference to instuments being used during a worship service.

Please help me with this issue. My friends says her church believes that we should not add to or take away from the bible, (which implys that my church does by the fact that we do use these musical insturments).

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
Judges 5:3 wrote: "Hear this, you kings! Listen, you rulers! I will sing to the LORD, I will sing; I will make music to the LORD, the God of Israel.
1 Chronicles 6:31,32 wrote: These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the LORD after the ark came to rest there.

They ministered with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the temple of the LORD in Jerusalem. They performed their duties according to the regulations laid down for them.
Just a couple among many, not to metion Psalms in its entirety.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

The new testament talks about singing psalms, and as Byblos shows palms are set to music.
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

I think your friend is off his rocker...
Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something.
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Yea, he's a loon.
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion."
-Abe Lincoln
IRQ Conflict
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

SillyPutty, your friend may be uneducated as to what the Bible teaches on music and worship but she is not "nuts" or anything. BTW the only reason your friend points to the NT is apparently in her view the OT does not factor in her decisions as to whether or not to use insturments in worship.

In the new testament, Mathew 5:17 Jesus taught He came to fullfil the Law, not to abolish it. Ask her if Jesus yeilded to the OT why is it she does not?

Just something to chew on. ;)

Kindly point out where her beliefs contradict the Word and let the Spirit guide her in Truth.

God Bless.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

The only problem, guys, with what you are saying is that the CoC does not believe the OT has any authority WHATSOEVER over the believer in Christ. For them, it shouldn't even be in the Bible.

Silly, the CoC is an offspring of early hardshell Baptists. The denomination was started by Alexander Campbell after Baptists in general rejected his teaching that they were "the only true Church." He taught such things as the illegitimacy of the OT, that members of non-Baptist denominations were going to Hell, that ministers in non-Baptist denominations were heretics and as such there could be no pulpit affiliation between denominations, etc. Bad stuff . . .

Anyway, while we believe the OT is no longer binding on Christians, we still believe that the God of the one is the same God over the other. Paul said that all Scripture is useful, and since the OT tells us to use instruments, it would require a change in God's character to decide that instruments are now a sin. Besides that, we find no prohibitions against instrument use in the NT. In fact, we find Paul saying that all things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. If Christians are not to be judged on the food they eat, then how much less should they be judged on their style of worship??

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.