Debate I'm having with a friend

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
ChrisB
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Debate I'm having with a friend

Post by ChrisB »

Hey guys. A friend of mine (who shall not be named here) is a strong believer in the Lord, but has some views which I personally believe to be at odds with Scripture and just wanted to hear your thoughts on them.

Theology:
My friend believes in the existence of the Trinity but his views on it are Non-Trinitarian. He believes that the Spirit is not God, but a created being (and asked me for Scripture supporting that the Spirit is God, which at the time I went to 1 John 5:3, Genesis 1:26 and told him that the Spirit took part in the creation of the universe, but he still does not believe), that Jesus does not have foreknowledge and because He was incarnated on Earth as a man that this somehow makes Him different from God the Father (even though he does believe that Jesus was the Word and that He was God, but still subservient using John 14:28 as his example). I explained to him that Christ has always been God and that He did not cease being God upon His First Advent to Earth, and that He simply took on a human nature (although he said that Christ has a man's "soul", which somehow differentiates Him from God. I'm still not sure what he meant by that) was only temporarily subservient to the Father during that time. Suffice it to say, he believes that Jesus is now just a man, and that only the Father is God. Every time I try to tell him about the nature of the Trinity (even going so far as telling him that the Trinity is God's nature, meaning He is Triune by His very nature, which he disagrees with), that God is one God in three distinct Persons, each co-equal, co-eternal, distinct in purpose yet One in essence, he always sees it as me saying that God is somehow three seperate gods. The ironic thing to me is that he says that we can fully understand the nature of the Trinity whereas I quoted Paul as saying that "For we know in part and prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away." (1 Cor. 13:9 & 10), though looking back I'm not sure if Paul meant the Trinity by that quote.

Predestination, Free Will, & Agape:
My friend is a strict Calvanist. He believes that we as Christians were promised salvation from before the foundation of the world, now this I agree with. What I disagree with him on is that he believes that God is not all-loving, that is, that He does not love everyone, but only those whom He chose beforehand to be saved, and that He actually hates everyone else. For this my friend cites Romans 9:14-24.
I had trouble believing that God would make someone only to send them to Hell. We agree that God foreknows what we will do, but the idea of predestined damnation has inklings of Fate and completely annihilates the notion of Free Will in my view (granted, Jude touches on this idea a bit:

Jude 1:3-4, New King James Version (NKJV)

Contend for the Faith

3 Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. 4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God and our Lord Jesus Christ.)

^I just don't know how to reconcile free will with that. Moreover, my friend believes that God is absolutely Sovereign (which is true) but I told him that God does not interfere with human free will and that he will never force us to believe in Him. Now, to counteract that he used Paul's vision of the risen Lord on the road to Damascus as an example of interfering with free will. I could'nt answer him on that one, honestly.

Angels:
Next we discussed the nature of angels (which really branched out of the discussion on the nature of the Holy Spirit). Angels are created beings, that we agree on. However, he goes on to say that angels are "infinite" beings, that they are infinitely powerful, a point on which I hastily disagreed, saying that he was applying too much power to angels because to be "infinitely powerful" (i.e. Omnipotent) would make you God. He also said that they are infinite in the sense that they can receive/absorb an infinite amount of glory from an infinite source. He applies this latter idea to us, too, since we will be glorified in our new bodies after the resurrection from the dead. Lastly, he claims that angels can minister to people by possessing them and telling them about God, an experience that he says he went through which immediatly set off all kinds of alarms in my head, as both Muhammad and Joseph Smith claimed to receive revelation about God from "angels" who really were'nt.

All of the above (all three topics) he claims to have received through continuous rebuke and revelation. I'm not going to debate him on that, because he also says that he heard the Lord's audible Voice calling him to be an apostle. I personally am not so sure he did. I pray that the Lord will protect him, minister to him, and show him the truth.
"Materialists and madmen never have doubts." -G.K. Chesterton