Do Christians apologize?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Do Christians apologize?

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Hey CS, check out the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZljJ5D3-oc
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

sinnerbybirth wrote:Hey CS, check out the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZljJ5D3-oc
:D :dancing: Whoooop, whooop! "They Can't Break Me, Cause I'm Down With Christ." That's a great song for it's genre - you should post it in the music thread.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

If you like that SBB then you will love Radio U! Wait.... didn't I already tell you that some where.... Oh well, lol!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
sinnerbybirth
Established Member

Post by sinnerbybirth »

Hey Gab, does "smiling down" ring a bell?
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

sinnerbybirth wrote:Hey Gab, does "smiling down" ring a bell?
:ebiggrin: Right! Okay, lol my mind is fried after a long day at work. Maybe we should move this part of the discussion to the Christian music thread.
http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 14&t=33742 Plus I put a lot of radio U songs there!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

sinnerbybirth wrote:It's funny, I feel like I've been to evening service. I do value all of you guys and gals. I enjoy the fact that I can learn something from people I have never met.
That is good, I think that this is a nice place and it feels like home sort of. You know I think about you all a lot, lol I feel comfortable here.
cslewislover wrote:Gosh, is there a table with donuts and coffee around here?
:ebiggrin:
The donuts after the service!!!!!!!
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

Gabrielman wrote:
cslewislover wrote:Gosh, is there a table with donuts and coffee around here?
:ebiggrin:
The donuts after the service!!!!!!!
y=P~
So, are you trying to get me too hyped up to sleep, now?

Maybe it's Irish coffee . . . . someone told me that in England they drink strong drinks at church . . . . maybe it was just that church :D
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Byblos wrote:Bav: You owe an apology I'm not sure to whom but I'm positive you've offended someone at some point lately just by being you (as I often do). :lol:
I apologize for being the only one with the TRUTH. ;)

I don't normally look at this board or post much at all on the weekend so I return and find a whole to-do on the happenings late last week.
I too get/got in my heated mode. I've been where Jac is now. I *think I've gotten better, but there's always room for improvement.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Byblos wrote:...guess everyone sees things from their own perspective. From mine what I see is that Jac was temporarily banned for appearing to insult others. What I also see is that Jac was highly insulted by BW's comment (whether or not we see it as such is irrelevant) and Jac has yet to receive so much as an apology for that. But again, that is only from my own perspective. It is of course your and others' prerogative to disagree.
I was out hiking last Saturday for a 10 mile hike in Rocky Mountain National Park (Fern Lake trial to Bear Lake) then Church Sunday and our Nephew returned from Vandy for a visit so I could not respond till this morning.

Did not intend to insult Jac. Jac and I do get into this on this subject matter once in awhile and things can get heated. I do not mind when this happens and never thought Jac's comments were insulting, or anyone's else's for that matter. More of a different perspective approach we both have. And our banter between each other sharpens our metal.

In reality, we agree, but in application, our approaches differ. I do not systemize everything into neat little doctrinal packages. I discovered the hard way; you can't put God in a box. When He saves you, he begins to work in you and from this, you learn to surrender so that he works thru you to do his will.

During this process, people find love for the Lord welling within. They then move from the first believing, that Ah — I Get it Moment to desiring to give God their lives, sacrifices, and gifts. They oft begin to diligently seek the Lord. They learn to be moved by Godly reverence in the things they do and build in their lives. They learn to obey and pray more effectively. They find themselves being tested and tried, soon they learn how to bless, worship, forsake sin and the past, how to hide the promises of God or to unlock them thru love (agape).

We tell them these desires are wrong — works oriented. Why? These motives were moved in ones heart because of salvation's work and come due to love for God and wanting to express that love. Such works as these are not works of legalism but of learning how to be transformed into what God intends as well as to live in the freedom Christ promised. You learn how Christ in you does the works.

Best example I can give is this one: Mel Gibson

We should know who Mel Gibson is — the movie star and director. He made the film the “Passion”

Despite what one may think of Mel Gibson's RC affiliation, he is a Christian. As such, he must learn as we all must learn. He has an anger, bitterness, selfish streak (other things we do know as well)that prevent him from finding the freedom from the slavery of anger, bitterness, etc, that is in effect bringing ruin into his life and career and to those around him as well.

God exposes these things in our lives for a reason. So we surrender. When Mel Gibson realizes that all his own efforts to reform, apologize, penance, will not work but rather serves to keep him enslaved to ruin, then and only then will he look up and say: Dear Lord, I can't change, help me, work and show me how. Work in me.

Reach that — Dear Lord I can't change, help me, you work in me — point then the Lord will change him, He will find the freedom from ruin, he will be restored. His love for the Lord will grow to new heights as he learned the secret of sanctification rarely taught in our churches anymore: Our legalisms can't save us only Christ within can set you free from what enslaves you to ruin. Work in me lord — I can't.

Mel Gibson's works will be seen as wrought by God, not himself. Sanctification brings to light the freedom that eternal life brings. Everyone one of us are enslaved to things whether it be anger, haughtiness, lust, bitterness, gluttony, despair, hurt etc and etc. We all need to come to that, Lord I can't change, help me, work in me moment so we can find the freedom the gospel message speaks about.

There is no way to teach this in a set by step methodology the Lord I can't change, help me, work in me, show me how. The Lord just does work in you — it works. He carries you.

We, like the ancient Israelites may have to eat a lot of quail till we realize what we desire is ruining our personal lives and it may take many such feedings till we surrender and cry out to the Lord - , Lord I can't change, help me, work in me how and he does.

He does in that Omnipersonal manner I wrote about. It works, once we catch on to this, we stop eating so much quail and begin to feast on the bread of life instead. How can I express this? Bart did a good job explaining this on another thread. Only thing I can add is that Christians will learn how to walk in the freedom Christ offers one way or another. We'll discover Christ working in us and the amazing truth — this works. How — can't put it in a well defined locked box — it just does.

Find that freedom, your love for the Lord grows and the more you want to do for him, not as legalism, but from love. There is a difference. It is that difference that in my opinion Jac sees but cannot see. All works are viewed as legalism — works born out of love impossible. Yet, the works Jac does warning everyone about works is in fact a work of love for God born in his heart!

We need to look and see what ruin we bring into or lives and the lives of others and come to that, Lord I can't change, help me, work in me, show me how moment. Legalism will bring you into ruin and keep a person enslaved but the works of love have been wrought by God (John 3:21). We need to come to the truth, that's the first step:

Lord I can't change, help me, work in me

So Jac, sorry if I offended you but please know, you did not offend me and any offense anyone tossed my way is forgiven. If you do decide to come back, Please note where I am coming from and how much we do agree on. You can't keep God locked in a handy logical gospel box…He is mucho bigger than anything we create.

I believe in the Freedom Christ brings and His promises as a reality, not as an optional unattainable theory. People this is taught to do find this freedom thru their personal , Lord I can't change, help me, work in me moments…

Love grows, works done thru God….
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
truthman
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by truthman »

Excellent post B.W.
UKJV: Philippians 2:13. For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

truthman wrote:Excellent post B.W.
UKJV: Philippians 2:13. For it is God which works in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.
And if He doesn't, what then?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If God doesn't do what He says He will do?
I believe God does what He says.
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. " 1 Corinthians 13:1-2
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

truthman wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't understand. If God doesn't do what He says He will do?
I believe God does what He says.
What does it mean if a believer does not display or stops displaying God's work in him?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
smiley
Established Member

Post by smiley »

Then it means that he is a selfish ****. However, on the faith-alone interpretation, he is still as saved as ever.

(offensive language edited out by Byblos)
"Imagine if we picked the wrong god. Every time we go to church, we're just make him madder and madder." - Homer Simpson
truthman
Established Member

Post by truthman »

Byblos wrote: What does it mean if a believer does not display or stops displaying God's work in him?
John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
If a person never displayed God's work in him, then he was not a true believer. If the person once displayed God's work in him but has stopped, God will discipline (purge or clean) him over time. It is over time because God is patient and is always looking at the eternal picture.