Local flood/dryness - oh please...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Local flood/dryness - oh please...

Post by Kurieuo »

I see this constantly ignored or distorted by people who do not take the literal Word of God at face value but would rather distort what it says into what they want it to believe. That is, MY BIBLE tells me that the same whole earth which was flooded became completely dry! And for emphasis, it says this several times with varying degrees of emphasis.

I am far from joking on this matter. If the Bible says the water dried up from the earth (Gen 8:6-7,13), then we must believe that the same earth that was flooded then became dry. Scripture even reinforces this fact by saying the earth was "completely dry". (Gen 8:14)

I really tire of people who try to distort and ignore passages in the Bible simply because it comes into conflict with their own ideas of what happened. Maybe people simply refuse to believe the earth became dry because modern science would tell them it is impossible for the earth to become completely dry since the water has to go some where. Well, I believe in the Bible, not man's wisdom. I'll choose my Bible over science any day. So if God created water, then he can take it back and put it down again as much as He pleases. Maybe Christians who don't believe this just don't have enough faith? Or perhaps they don't really believe in the same God I do.

:P :P :P
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Local flood/dryness - oh please...

Post by jenna »

Yes and amen. 8)
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Himantolophus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Himantolophus »

I am not well versed in Bible studies but can you eloborate on this "dryness" thing. Obviously after any flooding event the water dries up, but I don't think this is what you are getting at. Do you mean that there was a global desert following the Flood? Or that all the water on the planet dried up?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Himantolophus wrote:I am not well versed in Bible studies but can you eloborate on this "dryness" thing. Obviously after any flooding event the water dries up, but I don't think this is what you are getting at. Do you mean that there was a global desert following the Flood? Or that all the water on the planet dried up?
It was a parody of how some YECs argue with an intended point.

The point being that if one believes Scripture is saying the earth was globally flooded in Genesis 7-8, then when it also says the waters completely dried up from the earth (Gen 8:6-7;13-14) they must believe there then became no water on earth. If they do not then they are not being consistent with their interpretation and just changing words in Scripture to mean what they want it to mean without any good hermeneutical reason.
  • Genesis 8:6-7
    6 After forty days Noah opened the window he had made in the ark 7 and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth.

Genesis 8:13-14
    13 By the first day of the first month of Noah's six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth. Noah then removed the covering from the ark and saw that the surface of the ground was dry. 14 By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth was completely dry.
My position is really the same as the one found in the article on this website at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Kurieuo wrote:
Himantolophus wrote:I am not well versed in Bible studies but can you eloborate on this "dryness" thing. Obviously after any flooding event the water dries up, but I don't think this is what you are getting at. Do you mean that there was a global desert following the Flood? Or that all the water on the planet dried up?
It was a parody of how some YECs argue with an intended point.

The point being that if one believes Scripture is saying the earth was globally flooded in Genesis 7-8, then when it also says the waters completely dried up from the earth (Gen 8:6-7;13-14) they must believe there then became no water on earth. If they do not then they are not being consistent with their interpretation and just changing words in Scripture to mean what they want it to mean without any good hermeneutical reason.
  • Genesis 8:6-7
    6 After forty days Noah opened the window he had made in the ark 7 and sent out a raven, and it kept flying back and forth until the water had dried up from the earth.

Genesis 8:13-14
    13 By the first day of the first month of Noah's six hundred and first year, the water had dried up from the earth. Noah then removed the covering from the ark and saw that the surface of the ground was dry. 14 By the twenty-seventh day of the second month the earth was completely dry.
My position is really the same as the one found in the article on this website at http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
you had me going there for a minute!!
Himantolophus
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Himantolophus »

wow, I didn't pick up on what you were getting at :D Pardon the newbie! haha
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Himantolophus wrote:wow, I didn't pick up on what you were getting at :D Pardon the newbie! haha
Don't worry guys (and gal), my wife thought I was serious too when she read it. :lol: