Repentance, what it is, it's place, and necessity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Repentance, what it is, it's place, and necessity

Post by LowlyOne »

REPENTANCE

Two conditions for a sinner to be born again are:
1) Repentance
2) Faith towards God, Faith in Christ

Strong's defines repentance as: a change of mind, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins.

Repentance- is a change of opinion, and change of understanding, a change of mind, of how we were living in our relationship to God.

Repentance- is acknowledging we are guilty, and therefore we must turn to God.

Repentance- is a decision made by an individual on how he view's God, how he views himself, and how he views sin.

Repentance- is an act of the will, and of the mind.

Repentance is to turn from a former life of sin to a new walk in obedience to God.

Repentance is a change of mind and attitude towards sin and God which results in a changed lifestyle.

Godly sorrow brings true repentance.

1 Corinthian 7:10 Godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation.

Repentance- is laying clearly out to a person how God views sin, what God views sin as, how God views their life, and that their own works will not make them right with God.

Repentance is a change of mind towards God and sin. It is not only a change of views, but also a change of the ultimate preference or choice of the soul and action. It is a voluntary change, and consequently involves a change of feeling and action towards God and sin. This is the same type of change of mind, as when someone changes interests.
--Charles Finney 'Experiencing Revival pg. 126

At this point, it is important to know one vital truth about repentance. Repentance and Faith (In God) are indivisibly and integrally connected. They are so interdependent upon the other that the use of one implies the other. In fact, repentance and faith are two sides of one coin. (Mark 1:14, Acts 20:21, Acts 26:18, Heb. 6:1 Acts 11:21) Now lets look at them.

....continue on
Last edited by LowlyOne on Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Mark 1:14-Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, 15 and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."

Acts 11:21 -And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord

Acts 20:21- testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 6:1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Acts 26:18-to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.'

It is important in this study to notice Acts 26:18. Jesus said to the Apostle Paul, “I now send you to open their eyes…” How will Paul open their eyes? By the gospel. “In order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God…” This is repentance. They turn from darkness to light, and exit out of the power of Satan's Kingdom into God's. They turn from a life of sin to God trusting in Him. Why is this so important? Jesus continues and says “that… they… may… receive… forgiveness… of… sins… and an inheritance by… faith… in… Me…

So there we clearly see it. The gospel is proclaimed. This is to be done in order to bring repentance, that forgiveness of sins may be received by faith. Repentance couples together with Faith in God/Christ. To hear talk or mention of one in the Scriptures implies the other.

To further establish this vital truth, lets look at some more scriptures that deal with faith and repentance individually and compare them together.

(1 of 2) John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

(2 of 2) Luke 13:3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish

In John, whoever believes should not perish. In Luke, unless one repents, they will perish. So believing and repenting is necessary in order to not perish.

(1 of 2) 1 Tim 1:16 - However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.

(2 of 2) Acts 11:18- When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

In 1 Timothy, those who are going to believe do so for everlasting life.
In Acts, God grants repentance to life. Both believing and repentance happen prior to receiving life. Therefore, they couple together.

(1 of 2)Acts 10:43- To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.

(2 of 2) Acts 5:31 -Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.

In Act 10 we see that whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins. In Acts 5 we see that repentance and forgiveness are joined together, and repentance is listed first, so repentance comes prior to receiving forgiveness of sins just as Acts 10 lists that who ever believes “will receive” forgiveness of sins. Both believing and repentance must take place to receive forgiveness of sins. To go a little more in depth, one hears the gospel, his or her eyes are opened to see their sin due punishment of their sin, then they see their need for a Savior, and turns from their life of sin (that's repentance) to God believing in Him for forgiveness of sins. In fact, these two (repentance and faith towards God) take place BEFORE regeneration, so monergism, the teaching that one is regenerated or made alive by God and then repentance and believes is incorrect and unbiblical. Lets take a close look at the next Scripture in Col. 2:12-14 to further establish that much needed truth.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Col. 2:12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Now the more biblical truth of synergism is established as the faulty man made doctrine of monergism collapses under closer examination of this truth. We were raised with Him through faith. In Verse 13, we were made alive together with Him, now here is the kicker “having forgiven you all trespasses. Now didn't we see earlier that repentance and faith comes prior to receiving forgiveness? Here that God, having forgiven us all trespasses, made us alive together with Him! That's the new birth, that's regeneration. So it's totally clear with no doubt, that repentance and faith comes before regeneration/being made alive. As we turned from our sins, to God placing our trust in Him, He justified us, wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, took it out of the way having nailed it to the cross, and delcared us innocent. Then, He made us alive after we departed from the kingdom of darkness and as we we entered the door of faith, the narrow gate, and was transferred into the Kingdom of the Son of God. Bamm. Born again, new life, regeneration.

Also just for extra information, in verse 12 we see that we were buried with Him (Christ). In fact, the whole world is considered dead and buried with Christ. 2Cor 5:14 For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; So in God's mind, when Christ died, the whole world from this side of the resurrection died. They've already been judged. They've already been buried, and God's wrath is satisfied. John 3:36 “… he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” So for those who have not turned from their sin towards God and placed their trust in Him for forgiveness of sins and salvation, in God's mind they've already been judged. But, because God does not take pleasure in the death of the wicked, and even gave Jezebel time to repent, (Rev. 2:20-21), and because God endures with much longsuffering even the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction (Rom. 9:22) not wanting any to perish but that all should come to repentance (2 Pet. 3:9), He has commanded the church through His Son to go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:15) Acts 17:30 says “Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent…” Notice the inclusive framework of these verses. Mark says every creature in all the world. Acts says all men everywhere. This isn't some men of all types, but every man and women in all the world. That is definite, but why? Acts 17:31 says because God has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. In fact, He has given the world assurance of this all by raising Him from the dead. So all must stand before God and be judged, so all must repent or they will one day perish and experience God's eternal judgment. This is why the Apostle Paul exhorted first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men.(1 Tim.2:1). Then continued and specifically included kings and all who are in authority in the supplications, prayers, and intercessions (1Tim. 2:2). Then being inspired by the hand of the Holy Spirit, he wrote “God our Savior, desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Tim. 2:3-4) and wrote that “the Man Christ Jesus, gave Himself a ransom for all” (1 Tim. 2:6).

Pro. 28:13 He who covers/conceals his sins shall not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes/renounces them finds mercy.
The truth is, God, the Righteous Judge hates sin, and a sinful lifestyle. When a sinner realizes this by hearing the Gospel of Salvation proclaimed to them, they will depart from their journey on the broad road of destruction and turn to the cross of Christ and trust in His finished work, that is His sacrificial work entering the narrow gate, the door of faith.. Yes, His death, burial, resurrection and ascension is sufficient to provide forgiveness of sins and every spiritual blessing “In Christ”. As a sinner repents, he experiences mercy.

Luke 24:46- Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Here we see that repentance is connected to/with remission of sins. And this is true through out all of the Scriptures. There is so much more that could be said, but I will bring this to an end for right now. Maybe later I can continue on going more in depth and cover more Scriptures.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Much of this has already been dealt with in my discussion with R7. Therefore, I won't say too terribly much here, however . . .
LowlyOne wrote:Two conditions for a sinner to be born again are:
1) Repentance
I recognize the second based on John 3:16, as well as over 100 other references. Give me a single Scripture that says, "Repentance from sin is necessary for salvation," or "To be saved, you must repent from sin." Such is not taught in the Bible.

As for the verses you cite:
  • Mark 1:14-15, Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel."
Jesus says "Repent, and believe . . ." Why is Jesus saying this? Is it to bring about salvation? No, but He tells us Himself: "the kingdom of God is at hand." What do you think "the Kingdom of God" refers to?
  • Acts 11:21 -And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord
Yes, sir. The people in Antioch believed. They were idolaters, so they also turned to the Lord. However, you will note that the text neither says that their salvation was rooted in their turning now that their turning was a necessary result of their belief. This is the problem with taking a descriptive passage and making it prescriptive. You won't find anyone arguing that a saved person ought not repent. You won't find anyone arguing that repentance is pointless. However, you will find me arguing that repentance is not necessary for salvation. This verse says nothing against that whatsoever.
  • Acts 20:18b-21, "You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in Asia, how I was with you the whole time, serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me through the plots of the Jews; how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and from house to house, solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Paul is explaining his ministry in this passage. He "did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable." That's the main point, so let's keep that first and foremost. Now, is salvation profitable? Absolutely. Is there anything other than salvation that is profitable? Absolutely. Therefore, we know that Paul taught more than just salvation. He taught other things, including discipleship. Now, he goes on to say that he declared these profitable things to "both Jews and Greeks", that is, to everyone. And what did he declare? He taught "of repentance toward God AND faith in our Lord Jesus Christ." Sorry, but repentance in this verse cannot be made to be a requirement for salvation for two reasons. First of all, it isn't explicitly stated, and if you are going to build a doctrine, you need to build it on something explicit rather than implicit. In other words, if repentance is necessary for salvation, you will find it stated plainly elsewhere in Scripture. The second reason is that Paul taught more than just salvation, but if repentance refers to salvation--because faith certainly does, as we are plainly told elsewhere--then Paul taught nothing else! In fact, this verse supports the idea that repentance is NOT necessary for salvation, but instead, it is necessary for discipleship, which is profitable, but not the same as salvation.
  • Hebrews 6:1 Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
Two things here. First, the "repentance" in this passage is not from sin, per se, but from dead works. Who is "Hebrews" addressed to? Jewish Christians, as is clearly stated in the opening verses of the book. These were people who had at one time believed that the Mosaic Law could save, but those works were dead. Thus, to "repent" here means nothing more than "to stop trying to gain salvation by works, but to gain salvation instead by faith towards God." So, yet again, no reference to repentance from sin necessary for salvation, but, yet again, we have a reference to belief alone as the necessary element.
  • Acts 26:16b-18, for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also to the things in which I will appear to you; rescuing you from the Jewish people and from the Gentiles, to whom I am sending you, to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the dominion of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who have been sanctified by faith in Me.
Again, this verse actually supports the position that repentance is NOT necessary for salvation. Paul is relating the story to Agrippa concerning His commission, and here Jesus tells Paul what he has been called for. He has been appointed "a minister . . . not only to the things which [he had] seen, but also to the things in which [Jesus would] appear to [him]." Now, as a minister of the Truth of Christ, Jesus would send Paul to the people of the world so that they may become disciples (which is in line with the Great Commission). In turning from darkness to light, they receive forgiveness of sins and they also receive an inheritance. Those two things, the forgiveness of sins and the reception of an inheritance, are dependant on repentance. But look at the last clause, "among those woh have been sanctified by faith in Me." Can you see where this is going? If they repent, they get forgiveness of sins. If they repent, they get an inheritance, but that inheritance is the inheritance of those who have been sanctified by faith. Paul makes it clear that the turning doesn't sanctify. The turning results in forgiveness and rewards. But faith sanctifies! Yet again, we have a passage in favor of salvation by faith alone, without repentance

Now, the difficulty you have, which I noted from your exegesis of the passage, is your equation of forgiveness of sins with salvation. Nothing of the sort is true, for if it is, then baptism, forgiveness of others, and good works are all necessary for salvation as well, for in various places each of these is tied to the forgiveness of sins as well. Of course, a Christian is justified, sanctified, and his sins have been forgiven, but forgiveness is NOT the same as salvation. Go to Revelation 20:11-15, and tell me what sends a person to Hell. In that same passage, you find what sends a person to Hell. (Hint: it has nothing to do with sins. If you need a cross reference, check Rev. 3:5).

You mention some other verses . . .
  • Luke 13:3 I tell you, no; but unless you repent you will all likewise perish
I went through this already in the linked thread. The short answer is that "perish" refers to physical death and not to eternal damnation. Listen to the discussion between Bob Wilkin and Zane Hodges, linked in the previous thread, for an excellent exegesis of the text. Again, this text actually teaches that repentance is necessary for discipleship and deliverance from temporal judgment, both very important messages that the Church needs to hear today.
  • Acts 11:18, When they heard these things they became silent; and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life"
Bob Wilkin deals wonderfully with the entire concept of repentance in Acts in a paper published in the Journal of the Grace Evangelical Society. Concerning this particular verse, he says:
Bob Wilkin wrote:Fourth, Acts 11:18 is a commentary on Acts 10:43ff. and the conversion of Cornelius and his household. After Peter told believing Jews that Cornelius and his household had been baptized into the body of Christ by the Holy Spirit, they said: "Then God has also granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

Two points are noteworthy. One, this "repentance" was to life. It is quite unlikely that physical life was meant. Cornelius already possessed physical life. Two, Peter never mentioned "repentance" to the Jewish brethren. Rather, he referred to believing (Acts 11:17). Thus the text explicitly equates "repentance" to life with believing for the remission of sins and eternal salvation.

In light of all this evidence, it can be asserted with reasonable certainty that Luke 24:47, Acts 2:38, 3:19, 5:31, and 11:18 all refer to changing one's mind about Jesus Christ as a condition of eternal salvation.
I have said before and will continue to maintain that if you define "repent" merely as "a change of mind", then I accept it as the (not a) condition of salvation, for it is absolutely synonomous with "believe." Therefore, this passage does not teach that repentance from sin is necessary for salvation, but a change of mind concerning Christ.

This is the same way Dr. Wilkin takes "repentance" in 5:31, which, as of today, I am undecided on. It reads:
  • Acts 5:31 -Him God has exalted to His right hand to be Prince and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins.
Of course, Dr. Wilkin could be correct, and this could refer to salvic forgiveness. As I have previously stated, obviously, Christians have their sins forgiven, but it is inaccurate to equate forgiveness with salvation. However, I am inclined to take this to be with reference to the restoration of Israel. Throughout the OT, the Jewish people fell into sin, and God required them to repent before He restored them. Here, they had just rejected the Messiah, so God exalted Him so that they might repent and be forgiven, a forgiveness which leads to restoration moreso than salvation. But, again, either understanding is possible, and neither make repentance from sin necessary for salvation.

Once again, be very careful with how you use the Acts passages. I notice that you didn't quote Peter only three chapters earlier:
  • Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38).
Here, baptism is explicitly tied to the "remission of sins." If you then hold that repentance is necessary, you are also required to hold that baptism is necessary.

As for your exegesis of Col. 2:12-14, your fault is in that you, again, equate "remission of sins" with "final salvation." In fact, you quote a good many Scriptures that support Universal Atonement. See http://discussions.godandscience.org/ab ... uritan Lad regarding that doctrine.

Now, if I may, let me further the case that repentance from sin is not necessary. You see, "repent from sin" is synonomous with "commit your life to Christ." If this is the case, you can have no meaningful doctrine of rewards, for this same doctrine will force you into a belief in final perseverance of the saints. The reason is simple, in that if a person falls back into sin permanently, then it is evident that they did not, in fact, repent as they thought they did. Therefore, they prove their faith was not genuine. It follows, then, that the reward for pressing on in the faith is salvation itself!

The second problem is that the Gospel of John, which is the ONLY book in the Bible written to non-believers, NEVER mentions the word "repent." Never ONCE does it come up. But, John clearly states. "But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name" (John 20:31, NIV). Now, the word "believe" is used almost 100 times. Repent: 0. And yet the purpose is to bring people to eternal life . . .

Something isn't lining up.

Now, I issue this warning: if you have never believed in Christ alone for salvation WITHOUT repentance, it would be wise to ask yourself if you have even been saved. Salvation comes by faith through Christ ALONE, as I said in my first reply to you. So, I simply ask you this question: have you ever trusted Christ, and Christ alone, to save you just because He said He would? If not, my friend, you are still lost in your sins. You cannot trust your commitment to Him to save you. Discipleship does not lead to justification.

For the record, I know that sounds like a personal attack. Please understand that it is not. Based on my reading of you, I would be surprised if you were not regenerate. It is as I told Puritan, the thing about getting this deep into soteriology is that most people believe the Gospel but then go back and start adding things to it. My concern, to be honest, is less for you than for the people you witness to. I remember several years back I had an opportunity to witness to every individual I worked with. I believed exactly as you do, and told them as such. To be saved, they had to "give their lives to Christ," by repenting of their sins. I hated the words coming from my own mouth, because I knew from my own experiece--that of a person who had been a Christian from some twelve years!--how difficult it was to commit one's life to Jesus. I gave them a false gospel. In the end, I should have simply explained that by believing in Christ's promise to save them, they would have eternal life and they could KNOW they were going to Heaven. But, sadly, as it was, I gave them a "commitment-of-life gospel", and they are still lost to this day. I ask forgiveness for that almost on a daily basis . . .

So again, please understand that everything I say is said in the utmost concern and humility, almost with fear, because I know that as teachers we will be judged more harshly.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
LowlyOne
Established Member

Post by LowlyOne »

Jac,
I appreciate your response. I will consider it and think about what you have said. I have some questions though. My understanding of repentance is the following:

Repentance- is a change of opinion, and change of understanding, a change of mind, of how we were living in our relationship to God.

Repentance- is a decision made by an individual on how he view's God, how he views himself, and how he views sin.

Repentance is to turn from a former life of sin to a new walk in obedience to God.

Repentance is a change of mind and attitude towards sin and God which results in a changed lifestyle.

If these definitions of repentance are true and correct, and this is my understanding of it, then what is the problem with saying a person must repent and believe to be born again? Which definition would you consider faulty?

Also, if I witness and tell a person to believe in Christ, and they do so, how should their attitude towards their life change? If they realy believe, then will their be a change of mind towards sin, self, and God? Do you see a distinction between agreeing to the truth with the mind, but not the heart? How do you witness to people with this view? Finally, where can I get some material that further teaches this view?

Thanks Jac
LowlyOne
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Lowly . . . as to your definitions:

I think of all these can be correct, but they are more of descriptions rather than definitions. I would define "repent" very simply as "to turn from." Depending on the context, it may refer to the turning from an action, from an idea, from a belief, etc. It may or may not be associated with guilt or sorrow. It is always an act of the will.
If these definitions of repentance are true and correct, and this is my understanding of it, then what is the problem with saying a person must repent and believe to be born again? Which definition would you consider faulty?
I say again, if you mean "repent" as only a change of mind (a turning from an idea), then I can say that it not only is a condition of salvation, but it is THE condition of salvation. To "believe" IS to "repent" in this sense of the word.

But, if you are talking about repenting from sin . . . I have a major problem with making that a condition of salvation, because it negates the idea that belief alone is necessary for salvation. To repent, in this sense, is to commit one's life to Christ. Therefore, it is commitment that is necessary for salvation. That, as I see it, is a dangerous teaching, because it is a false gospel.
Also, if I witness and tell a person to believe in Christ, and they do so, how should their attitude towards their life change? If they realy believe, then will their be a change of mind towards sin, self, and God? Do you see a distinction between agreeing to the truth with the mind, but not the heart? How do you witness to people with this view? Finally, where can I get some material that further teaches this view?
These are beautiful questions. If a person believes, they SHOULD change their attitude and their lifestyles. That doesn't mean they will. They ought to. They will not necessarily do so.

I don't like the term "really" believe. You either believe or you don't. Belief and doubt cannot coexist. When you doubt something, you do not believe it. Now, you CAN believe something, and then a short time later doubt it. That does not negate the fact that you believed at one point! But, to say "really believe" is to imply that sustained belief is necessary, and I reject that argument as well. If, though, a person sustains belief, then yes, is mind and actions will change toward God.

I see no distinction between "truth of the mind" and "truth of the heart." These are modern ideas that were foreign to the first century mind. To believe something is to have a conviction of its Truth with your whole person (which obviously excludes doubt). Again, though, this does not mean that believe will necessary be sustained for any length of time!

Witnessing, in this view, is incredibly simple. You proclaim the Gospel. People have to understand a few things. They need to understand who Jesus is and what He did for them, and then they need to understand His promise to them, that if they believe that promise, then they ARE saved. If they believe that . . . if they believe in the person, work, and promise of Christ, then they are saved. It's just that simple.

Now, discipleship . . . that is an entirely different monster! ;)

There are two major resourcs I can point you do on this belief. The first is anything and everything written by Zane Hodges. The second is anything and everything written by Bob Wilkin. Dr. Wilkin is the president of the Grace Evangelical Society. Their website has hundreds of articles on the issue, as well as audio discussions.

http://www.faithalone.org

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
K.C.
Newbie Member

Re: Repentance, what it is, it's place, and necessity

Post by K.C. »

LowlyOne wrote:REPENTANCE

Two conditions for a sinner to be born again are:
1) Repentance

Strong's defines repentance as: a change of mind, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one's past sins.

Godly sorrow brings true repentance.

Repentance- is laying clearly out to a person how God views sin, what God views sin as, how God views their life, and that their own works will not make them right with God.

Repentance is a change of mind towards God and sin. It is not only a change of views, but also a change of the ultimate preference or choice of the soul and action. It is a voluntary change, and consequently involves a change of feeling and action towards God and sin. This is the same type of change of mind, as when someone changes interests.
--Charles Finney 'Experiencing Revival pg. 126

At this point, it is important to know one vital truth about repentance. Repentance and Faith (In God) are indivisibly and integrally connected. They are so interdependent upon the other that the use of one implies the other. In fact, repentance and faith are two sides of one coin. (Mark 1:14, Acts 20:21, Acts 26:18, Heb. 6:1 Acts 11:21) Now lets look at them.

....continue on

Just a quick note. Repentance in the Greek means to change one's mind. Now go to each passage of Scripture in context and see what the Scripture says around it. Who is talking, Who is being talked to, etc. Please do not use the word to express a meaning of the text like you did in your introduction. The word has a meaning not an expression. If you study each passage closely, pardon the pun, you will have to repent (change your mind)of your soteriology.

I love you that is why I write.

K.C.
K.C.
Newbie Member

Re: Repentance, what it is, it's place, and necessity

Post by K.C. »

[quote="K.C."][quote="LowlyOne"]REPENTANCE

Sir,

1st Corinthians 7:10 reads, "But to be married, I give instructions, not I,but the Lord.....

It never mentions what you quoted. Please be more accurate.

I write this because I love you,

K.C.