What is the relation of sanctification to works?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Mathetes
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

What is the relation of sanctification to works?

Post by Mathetes »

I've been reading a bit about the whole process of salvation (justification, regeneration, sanctification, etc.), and something puzzled me. Sanctification is considered part of the whole process of salvation, but yet it is closely connected to works - it is, as I understand it, the process whereby the Spirit conforms us to the image of Christ, enabling to do good works. But then, how does this harmonize with the idea of sola fide, sola gratia?

This isn't a "trap" question, I just genuinely want to understand this idea better.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Heya Math.

Good question. Unlike other aspects of the doctrine of salvation (i.e., justification, glorification, regeneration, adoption, etc.), the idea of sanctification has a three-fold concept. There is positional santification. That is the statement of God the moment we are saved in which we were set apart from the world. It closely corresponds to our baptism into the body of Christ.

Next, there is progressive sanctification. This is what you refer to, and it is completely dependant on our works. Actually, it is through our works, but dependant on the Holy Spirit . . . it is the process by which, during this life, we are conformed into the image of Jesus. This doctrine is most closely related to discipleship. It is not taken for granted that this will necessarily occur to in the life of the born-again believer, but nor is this aspect of santification tied to the security of the believer.

Finally, we have perfect sanctification. Obviously, we will never reach perfection in this life, but when we are with Christ in our glorified states, we will be sanctified in this way. Our old nature will fall away completely, leaving only the new man.

Positional sanctification relates to our initial salvation. It guarantees heaven. Progressive salvation relates to discipleship and determines our rewards in heaven. Perfect sanctification relates to our glorification, and is the means by which we can dwell with God forever.

Hope that helps,

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Mathetes
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Mathetes »

I think so. Actually, I think we're referring to the same things with different terms. What you call "positional sanctification", I refer to as "regeneration" - the point where God takes your heart of stone and gives you a heart of flesh. What you refer to as "progressive sanctification", I refer to as just plain ol' sanctification. And "perfect sanctification" I just refer to as "glorification". I'm getting these terms from William Webster's "The Gospel of the Reformation", so I have no doubt that terms vary from church to church or believer to believer :) We seem to be on the same page, though

At any rate, thank you for addressing my post. My concern, however, is that someone might point to this process of sanctification alone and try to assert that salvation is not by faith alone, since works are tied into this process. How would you address that? Would you say that, in this kind of case, the works proceed forth from the Spirit?

Thanks for the help!