Madness About a Method The New York Times Magazine

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Just testing your Engrish skills
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Just testing your Engrish skills
When all else fails resort to racial slurs.

You've hurt me, you've hurt me bad.
I'm going to go cry now.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

If science can speculate that a common ancestors exist that we see no material evidence for than it can speculate that God exists.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Science speculates that Christianity originated out of Israel. What is the evidence for this?
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Besides the bible, you're bible was not printed 2000 years ago.
Obviously, and why do you not capitalize Bible? A book and/or a collection of books need to be capitalized. And by saying "you're bible", what do you subscribe to, what religion? Answers man, answers!
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Jbuza wrote:If science can speculate that a common ancestors exist that we see no material evidence for than it can speculate that God exists.
The funny part is I just came to that realization reading Systematic Theology by Berkhof...

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Believer wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Science speculates that Christianity originated out of Israel. What is the evidence for this?
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:Besides the bible, you're bible was not printed 2000 years ago.
Obviously, and why do you not capitalize Bible? A book and/or a collection of books need to be capitalized. And by saying "you're bible", what do you subscribe to, what religion? Answers man, answers!
I'm talking about science.
Science requires evidence.

If science speculates that Christianity originated in Israel, what is the basis of this speculation. That is what my point is.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Believer wrote:

If science speculates that Christianity originated in Israel, what is the basis of this speculation. That is what my point is.
Notice I replied to your second quote, not the first :roll:. Missing the point again BGood :wink:?
Forge
Valued Member

Post by Forge »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:When all else fails resort to racial slurs.

I'm going to go cry now.
Go back to your cage, you emo.
I DEMAND PIE, AND A BARREL OF WHIPPED CREAM
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Believer wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Believer wrote:

Notice I replied to your second quote, not the first :roll:. Missing the point again BGood :wink:?
The quotes belong to one coherent idea. Being that science doesn't use only the bible as evidence for conclusions.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Forge wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:When all else fails resort to racial slurs.

I'm going to go cry now.
Go back to your cage, you emo.
What's an emo?
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

If science speculates that Christianity originated in Israel, what is the basis of this speculation.

Jesus Christ being born there.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Jbuza wrote:If science speculates that Christianity originated in Israel, what is the basis of this speculation.
How does science know this? Were you there?
I deleted this post, because I realized I have no interest debating this. However Believer picked up on it before it was deleted. I'll just leave this issue open.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

BGood, that is not the domain of science. That's like asking a medical doctor if a new wing component can withstand 10 G forces...duh?

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:So, it cannot be verified unless it can be stuck in a test tube basically? So we just toss out non-Christian sources, Jewish sources (Josephius for example), and Christian sources (four gospels, Paul, early church fathers)
Of course in our personal lives its hard to throw out a text which has survived more than a thousand years.

But science needs more than this to reach a conclusion. If multiple disciplines and findings lead to a conclusion, it makes that conclusion stronger.

Josephius, the bible and other references from Roman texts support that indeed Jesus was a real person.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Jbuza wrote:If science speculates that Christianity originated in Israel, what is the basis of this speculation.
How does science know this? Were you there?
I deleted this post, because I realized I have no interest debating this. However Believer picked up on it before it was deleted. I'll just leave this issue open.
sure. sure. Yet you accept evolution. Where you there? You have only heard or read reports of 99.9% of scientific investigation. To a certian extent we must accept the report of credible sources and test to see if it is reasonable and logical.

I see no reason for you not to debate that Christianity started outside Isreal, it has the same evidence as those phylogenetic charts you talk about.