How old is everybody?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

Thinker wrote:My age is: -21 + 500 - 400 X 2 + 5000 - 5137 years old
I have a hard time believing that you are -458 years old. May want to rework that formula a bit Brian. :) Hint: Remember BEDMAS. :)
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Felgar wrote:
I have a hard time believing that you are -458 years old. May want to rework that formula a bit Brian. :) Hint: Remember BEDMAS. :)
:lol:, The formula is actually right, I confirmed it thrice with my Windows XP Home Edition calculator in that EXACT order. Remember that the first number is NEGATIVE 21.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

I think Felgar is messing with ya Brian :wink: I got your age :D
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Thinker wrote:
Felgar wrote:
:lol:, The formula is actually right, I confirmed it thrice with my Windows XP Home Edition calculator in that EXACT order. Remember that the first number is NEGATIVE 21.
He multiplied first.

should be
((-21 +500 - 400) * 2) + 5000 - 5137
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote: He multiplied first.

should be
Right, in mathematical order of precedence which is universally established. BEDMAS = Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction; the correct order of precedence. Math lesson complete for today. :)

What I'm saying Brian is that if you don't have brackets to specify order, then the multiplication should be done first.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Felgar wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote: He multiplied first.

should be
Right, in mathematical order of precedence which is universally established. BEDMAS = Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction; the correct order of precedence. Math lesson complete for today. :)

What I'm saying Brian is that if you don't have brackets to specify order, then the multiplication should be done first.
I hate math that way...

I intended it to be done EXACTLY in the order I made it, but I get what you're saying, had to do that in college, blah! :lol:.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Wow, and here I thought people went to college to actually learn things! Turns out it doesn't matter what the teacher teaches, you can always just do it your own way anyway! And they charge you how much for all that???

I'm not in college nor do I have plans for it. Math used to be my best subject, (was put in special classes for years and got a 100% on my state test thing,) but then I didn't care and starting forgetting everything throughout high school despite the required classes I took. Any suggestions on how I can re-educate myself in mathematics? Any books or anything anyone can suggest for one who likes to teach herself? Thanks! :)
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

kateliz wrote:Wow, and here I thought people went to college to actually learn things! Turns out it doesn't matter what the teacher teaches, you can always just do it your own way anyway! And they charge you how much for all that???
I hate the teachings from college professors in certain classes, as they like to teach THEIR material to the students instead of looking at all there is to teach and not be so focal on one thing and teach that (such as teaching evolution, but not teaching its problems as well). I am specifically talking about science classes :wink:. But other than that, I still hate college. Increasing class prices for "better" education, hahahahahaha!!!! No thanks, even if the money is coming from my parents.
beckyandretti
Established Member

Post by beckyandretti »

kateliz wrote:Wow, and here I thought people went to college to actually learn things! Turns out it doesn't matter what the teacher teaches, you can always just do it your own way anyway! And they charge you how much for all that???

I'm not in college nor do I have plans for it. Math used to be my best subject, (was put in special classes for years and got a 100% on my state test thing,) but then I didn't care and starting forgetting everything throughout high school despite the required classes I took. Any suggestions on how I can re-educate myself in mathematics? Any books or anything anyone can suggest for one who likes to teach herself? Thanks! :)
http://www.purplemath.com <-- there ya go kate
You can touch them with your eyes - Pablo Picasso
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

Hey thanks, Becky. But when I looked at the lessons I all-of-a-sudden got really bored! Maybe later I'll check to see what I remember. :)
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

kateliz wrote:Hey thanks, Becky. But when I looked at the lessons I all-of-a-sudden got really bored! Maybe later I'll check to see what I remember. :)
You need to see beyond the numbers. It is like a language which can be used to describe things that a normal language cannot. A different level of cognition, per se.
SillyPutty
Acquainted Member

Post by SillyPutty »

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

SillyPutty wrote:26
The number of letters in the American Alphabet.
Which allows me to write this witty reply.

The atomic number for Iron. Fe
Used in our blood to carry vital oxygen to our bodies cells.
Found in the center of the earth responsible for the earths magnetic field.

I Corinthians 26
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes.

Or perhaps you just meant you are 26 years old...
Forge
Valued Member

Post by Forge »

I'll be nineteen on November 24, which, coincidentally, is Thanksgiving.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by kateliz »

I've posted my response to BGood in the off-topic thread because it is:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 1764#21764

Feel free to check it out.