Obama nominates first Islamic federal judge

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Obama nominates first Islamic federal judge

Post by Hortator »

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/07/polit ... index.html

Sorry for the crumby OP, I my middle finger hurts like :fryingpan:

So this is sure to generate much discussion. Let 'er rip. :guns:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Obama nominates first Islamic federal judge

Post by RickD »

Isn't it unlikely that the senate will confirm him?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't care about his religion. I care about his textual theory of interpretation and where he falls on the oversimplified "liberal" v "conservative" scale. I would take a devout Muslim in the mold of Scalia or even Roberts (to use SCOTUS examples) over a protestant or evangelical in the mold of Ginsburg.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by edwardmurphy »

And I'd take a devoutly religious Ginsberg over an atheist Scalia.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

edwardmurphy wrote:And I'd take a devoutly religious Ginsberg over an atheist Scalia.
That makes no sense. Ginsburg is Jewish, and Scalia was a devout Catholic. y:-/
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

Good grief...

I'd prefer a devoutly religious person who took a Ginsbergesque view of Constitutional law over an atheist who took a Scaliaesque view?

I have no idea why I humor you.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

RickD wrote:Isn't it unlikely that the senate will confirm him?
I consider it likely. Republicans have said they wont pass any judges this year, but that's it: words. It could very well happen.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by crochet1949 »

One of the problems would Possibly be that an Islamic federal judge would Possibly allow Sharia laws to be passed and practiced. Political correctness would over-rule common sense.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

One of the problems would Possibly be that an Islamic federal judge would Possibly allow Sharia laws to be passed and practiced. Political correctness would over-rule common sense.
The question should be, are there absolutes about Democracy (or at least the concept) that 1) we find important and worth sustaining, and 2) should there be a litmus test that excludes those of certain views. Democracy and Christianity have simply worked together, albeit not without challenges and tension. But are there not those with key beliefs that are incompatible with democracy? Of course! And so decision makers and voters have to decide what they will and will not support. I would never support anyone who I thought held views incompatible with our democratic traditions. Because people with an agenda will always try to change the laws, and strategize to get certain individuals with certain views into the courts and public office. This allows a minority to succeed in ways that they otherwise could not.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Good points.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

crochet1949 wrote:One of the problems would Possibly be that an Islamic federal judge would Possibly allow Sharia laws to be passed and practiced. Political correctness would over-rule common sense.
And one of the problems with having a Christian judge is that he might base his rulings on Christian principles rather than the law. And a Jewish judge might ignore the law and start handing out Old Testament punishments. They stoned people for everything back then! And a Hindu judge might impose fines on anyone he suspected of eating beef. Oh, the horror!

Oh, wait, those scenarios are completely absurd and so is yours. Your fears and prejudices have undermined your ability to think critically.

As a side note, what's with you guys thinking that there's any possibility whatsoever that any American legislative body is going to pass Sharia laws? Where in this country do Muslims hold a legislative majority? They're a tiny minority with no political clout whatsoever, but you act like they're poised to take over. It's ridiculous.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

And a Bunch of us thought our present Pres. wouldn't make it in for a 2nd term. And Many of us also never thought he'd actually make a 1st term. So - as ridiculous as it might seem Now -- never say never. Cause 'never' has a way of happening.
edwardmurphy
Ultimate Member

Post by edwardmurphy »

What? You're comparing apples to orangutans. What point are you attempting to make?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

As a side note, what's with you guys thinking that there's any possibility whatsoever that any American legislative body is going to pass Sharia laws? Where in this country do Muslims hold a legislative majority? They're a tiny minority with no political clout whatsoever, but you act like they're poised to take over. It's ridiculous.
Ed, as often, you only take the immediate/short view, and assert that there will never be anything to seriously worry about, because, as you so often love to point out, that, AT THE MOMENT, it's not a big deal. I'm sure many Germans didn't think the first Nazis in various offices were anything to get terribly worked up over, either, even if they didn't much like them or just had some concerns. There are areas in the UK, in which Muslims make up a VERY large percentage of the local population, and numbers are route to political power. And there ARE progressive law makers who would see a vote against a Muslim as being racist or un-American, as that is the constant mantra of the PC Police left ("We must be MORE sensitive to the views of minorities and less critical."). Uber liberals and progressives fail to dissect important nuances due to their much more important "feel their way to the truth" compass. AND it shouldn't matter one little bit if it is just ONE Muslim or whatever background a person has that has views that potentially could conflict with traditional American Democratic views, it's the worldview/political views of the person I care about. Given a choice, why would I want to risk putting in office even ONE who holds views I think present potential but presently avoidable hazards? Only fools wait until the numbers of people they deem risky to build to become a significant threat!

So, let's phrase it better: There is a candidate of a judgeship or some political office that has views that YOU can see might well present a huge conflict with the present ideals of the community, country, or established constitutional law, that you are very concerned about. But this person is a minority - and diversity can certainly be healthy, etc. So what would you do, if you had a vote for this person? Do you say, "what's the big honking deal - it's only one ________ (whatever the person's general views tag him as being), and we really DO need more minority representation." Or, do you say, instead, "You know, I don't feel good about this guy, and so it's a 'no' vote from me!"
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:Nazis

Ed wins by forfeiture. Clothes thread.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.