Question concerning heaven and getting new names

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Question concerning heaven and getting new names

Post by DRDS »

Hey everyone, I've got a question concerning the afterlife for us believers. Does the Bible directly or at least indirectly teach that in heaven we will have brand new names? For instance if in this life my name was John Smith but after I die and be with God will I get a name change and have my name changed to.... I don't know, Nathan Haseleu , Chuck Hossfeld or some other kind of name other than the one I have? Or will I still be known as John Smith and my family and friends still be known by their names?

I can't think right off where the Bible talks about it but I think it's in Revelations. And being the kind of book that Revelations is this may be a thing that has multiple interpretations and or may be symbolic. If anyone here has good knowledge on the topic and has a good formulated view on what this area of scripture is referring to, please feel free to extrapolate on it. Anyway as always, thank you all for your time. GB.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Question concerning heaven and getting new names

Post by neo-x »

its a metaphor indicating a new being, not a real name change but rather a change of identity...as in infront of God...more like being in the family of God, adopted, thus changed names.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

neo-x wrote:its a metaphor indicating a new being, not a real name change but rather a change of identity...as in infront of God...more like being in the family of God, adopted, thus changed names.
Aw :esad: I wanted a cooler name but I guess this one will have to do....

8)
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Why wait till you die then - you can get your name changed by Depoll. Only cost a few quid.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Silvertusk wrote:Why wait till you die then - you can get your name changed by Depoll. Only cost a few quid.

:mrgreen:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.
(Revelation 2:17 ESV)

God has often given new names to his servants. Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, and Simon became Peter. In the Bible names are intended to signify a person's character. When someone is born again there is a change in what his character is, so it seems logical that he should receive a new name to reflect that fact. It is possible that when someone is saved God gives him a new name but doesn't reveal the name to him until he reaches heaven.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

theophilus wrote:He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.
(Revelation 2:17 ESV)

God has often given new names to his servants. Abram became Abraham, Jacob became Israel, and Simon became Peter. In the Bible names are intended to signify a person's character. When someone is born again there is a change in what his character is, so it seems logical that he should receive a new name to reflect that fact. It is possible that when someone is saved God gives him a new name but doesn't reveal the name to him until he reaches heaven.

Ok, so are you taking this verse quite literally, that yes, everyone will receive literal new names or do you see it in some symbolic fashion, sort of like what Neo-x is saying?
lexy
Acquainted Member

Post by lexy »

How do we look like when we are in Heaven? Can I change my look or racial background, say from White to Black, or Black to Asian or something like that . I havent decided which ethnic background I wanna be. ?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Hello, Lexy, welcome to the forum!

Why don't you introduce and tell us a bit about yourself here: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... ns#p142648

Philip
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

lexy wrote:How do we look like when we are in Heaven? Can I change my look or racial background, say from White to Black, or Black to Asian or something like that . I havent decided which ethnic background I wanna be. ?
Well... I'd like to remain male thanks. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Kurieuo wrote:
lexy wrote:How do we look like when we are in Heaven? Can I change my look or racial background, say from White to Black, or Black to Asian or something like that . I havent decided which ethnic background I wanna be. ?
Well... I'd like to remain male thanks. :P
I could be some substance with my mind. That would suffice me. Or wait, with hands too. I like hugs.

:grouphug:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart