Divine Command Morality

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Divine Command Morality

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hey Sam

I wouldn't waste your time too much, some people are not here to learn and grow, all they want to do is argue and slander the name of Jesus.

They come and go from time to time, but they are easy to spot because they repeat themselves ad nauseam and ignore pretty much everything you say or ask them.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Hey Sam

I wouldn't waste your time too much, some people are not here to learn and grow, all they want to do is argue and slander the name of Jesus.

They come and go from time to time, but they are easy to spot because they repeat themselves ad nauseam and ignore pretty much everything you say or ask them.

Dan
It's just militant atheism.....they're more narrow minded than some Christians! lol

SB
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
snorider
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by snorider »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I am no longer going to respond to Jordan, sorry mate but you are blinded and going by your responses I feel that you don't even try to absorb what is being said.

The amount of times I have repeated things is beyond insanity, and still you bring them up.

All you want to do is grind your axe and I shall have no more part in that.

Good luck, I really hope you one day understand how much God loves you.

Dan

Dan, how are you able to denounce the thousands of other Gods throughout human history? Were you raised by a Christian family?

It has been shown that Divine Command Morality is very dangerous, it does allow normally decent people to do insane things. A good example is 9/11. If someone can be forgiven for their sins on Sunday instead of carrying that burden and learning from it, they tend to repeat mistakes. Having sins lifted is a cop out, we are adults, live with your mistakes and learn from them.

Jesus can forgive sins, what about the victim? Shouldn't the victim be asked if they forgive them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... xHoE#t=19s

I will be going to Hell according to the Christian faith, I've never cheated or stolen anything in my life. I have a Secret Clearance with the Government
But since I'm a non-believer, I will burn in Hell, because I am a non-believer. That's Just.
-Jordan
Last edited by snorider on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

snorider wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:I am no longer going to respond to Jordan, sorry mate but you are blinded and going by your responses I feel that you don't even try to absorb what is being said.

The amount of times I have repeated things is beyond insanity, and still you bring them up.

All you want to do is grind your axe and I shall have no more part in that.

Good luck, I really hope you one day understand how much God loves you.

Dan

Dan, how are you able to denounce the thousands of other Gods throughout human history? Were you raised by a Christian family?

It has been shown that Divine Command Morality is very dangerous, it does allow normally decent people to do insane things. A good example is 9/11. If someone can be forgiven for their sins on Sunday instead of carrying that burden and learning from it, they tend to repeat mistakes. Having sins lifted is a cop out, we are adults, live with your mistakes and learn from them.

Jesus can forgive sins, what about the victim? Shouldn't the victim be asked if they forgive them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDFAmc3xHoE

-Jordan
First of all, if a person is not raised up within a Christian family, they will still have a time in their life when they can compare what they believe to the Bible and beliefs within Christian faith, they can still look at all of the evidence which helps prove God's existence, they can still go to a church, they can still look at evidence for their own faith and see if it is sufficient enough for them to believe what they believe. It is the same case the world over for atheists, hindus, buddhists (not really a "religion) and muslims. You believe what you believe, my parents were agnostics when I got saved, I am the only Christian in my family, so I am in the same bracket of people you are discussing here.

I am not going to answer a question that you have for people of the muslim faith about 9/11, that is up to them to defend their own faith as they rightly should. In terms of 9/11, I think that it is a miracle that only 4,000 odd people died that day when over 100,000 people visited the twin towers every day. A building stood for 30 minutes after a plane hit it, allowing many people to escape, for example. Don't try and tell me God was not involved in the damage limitation exercise involved with 9/11.

Having sins is not a cop out in the slightest, I think it's a cop out to believe that there is no God which we will one day face in judgement, that's a real cop out. Don't bring up silly arguments like that here, people of the "new atheist" regime have a tendency to be very ignorant and stubborn, that won't get you far here. Divine Command Theory within Christianity is not dangerous, disobedience to Christ is what is dangerous.

SB
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Sam1995 wrote: First of all, if a person is not raised up within a Christian family, they will still have a time in their life when they can compare what they believe to the Bible and beliefs within Christian faith, they can still look at all of the evidence which helps prove God's existence, they can still go to a church, they can still look at evidence for their own faith and see if it is sufficient enough for them to believe what they believe. It is the same case the world over for atheists, hindus, buddhists (not really a "religion) and muslims. You believe what you believe, my parents were agnostics when I got saved, I am the only Christian in my family, so I am in the same bracket of people you are discussing here.
"Proof of God's existence". Why do we have so many different religions? If you read the Qu'ran it claims to know prophets and the one true god, many other religions do the same. What Evidence are you talking about? The four gospels written forty plus years after the events? The fact that no historians at that time wrote anything about Christ? The hundreds of contradictions? If you read about some of the ancient Greek gods, they have as much evidence of any other.

If there was a shred of solid proof we would all be worshiping the same God/religion. Why do you think there are so many different religions?
Sam1995 wrote: I am not going to answer a question that you have for people of the muslim faith about 9/11, that is up to them to defend their own faith as they rightly should. In terms of 9/11, I think that it is a miracle that only 4,000 odd people died that day when over 100,000 people visited the twin towers every day. A building stood for 30 minutes after a plane hit it, allowing many people to escape, for example. Don't try and tell me God was not involved in the damage limitation exercise involved with 9/11.
Don't pin this on the Muslim faith sir, I can link several articles of anti-abortion clinic bombings and the pope stating not to use condoms, how many people do you think the pope as killed indirectly by stating such a ridiculous argument?
Sam1995 wrote: Having sins is not a cop out in the slightest, I think it's a cop out to believe that there is no God which we will one day face in judgement, that's a real cop out. Don't bring up silly arguments like that here, people of the "new atheist" regime have a tendency to be very ignorant and stubborn, that won't get you far here. Divine Command Theory within Christianity is not dangerous, disobedience to Christ is what is dangerous.
I didn't say having sins are not a cop out. I said having sins forgiven is a cop out.
Lets see, sin example:

I cheated on my wife, I'm very very sorry, I committed adultery, Yes my son you have admitted your sin, I forgive you. -Heaven
I cheated on my wife, I'm very very sorry, I committed adultery, Yes my son you have admitted your sin, I forgive you. -Heaven

I am a non-believer, never cheated or done anything dishonest. -Hell

Quite Logical...
http://tinyurl.com/apcvjee

I ask yet again, out of all of the Gods and Messiahs throughout human history why do you believe in the one you believe in? Is your family Christian? Are you the same religion as your family out of the countless others?
-Jordan
Last edited by snorider on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Sam if I were you I wouldn't answer this guy, he is a crank with an axe to grind.

FL once told me by arguing with him I am just adding fuel to his fire, he doesn't want sincere conversation, all he is interested in is arguing period.

It is a complete waste of time.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

"Proof of God's existence". Why do we have so many different religions? If you read the Qu'ran it claims to know prophets and the one true god, many other religions do the same. What Evidence are you talking about? The four gospels written forty plus years after the events?
Of course there are a number of reasons as to why we have a different number of religions in the world today, however first of all, many of them do not have sufficient evidence in order to back up the claims that they make about their "Gods." Christianity came from Judaism which is the oldest surviving religion to my knowledge, the muslim faith, which is the second biggest religion in the world, came more than 500 years after Christianity, claiming to have prophecies from Muhammed. We have different religions for such a vast number of reasons that I do not have time to explain, but that is no form of an argument against the Christian faith, it sounds like you are "clutching at straws."
The fact that no historians at that time wrote anything about Christ?
Wrong. To use the example of one ancient historian, Josephus. He was a historian at the time of Jesus, was not a believer and yet still records in his book, Antiquities - "On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.

Also, the world's current leader of the "new atheist" regime, Richard Dawkins, believes that Jesus existed. I do apologize for my apparent ignorance, but I would concede in believing that Dawkins is a far more intelligent man than you, and if even he can admit that Jesus existed, I don't think you have much of a basis for your argument.
The hundreds of contradictions?
Elaborate. What are they?
If you read about some of the ancient Greek gods, they have as much evidence of any other.
The Greek Gods do not have evidence for their existence, even the most intelligent theory of the Prime Mover to come out of ancient Greece from Aristotle is flawed in the sense that it is a deistic God, and also was not responsible for the creation of the universe, only sustaining it. If you can show me sufficient evidence to support the existence of the Greek Gods such as Zeus, which nobody can rebuke in a factual manner, I will applaud you.
If there was a shred of solid proof we would all be worshiping the same God/religion. Why do you think there are so many different religions?
[Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division. Luke 12:51]

Oh really? Jesus knew that not everybody would follow him, please back up your arguments with evidence.
Don't pin this on the Muslim faith sir, I can link several articles of anti-abortion clinic bombings and the pope stating not to use condoms, how many people do you think the pope as killed indirectly by stating such a ridiculous argument?
You used the example of 9/11, there is nothing else that arguments against 9/11 can be pinned on apart from that of the muslim faith. Also, I am not a catholic, once again you have assumed that and think that I follow catholic doctrine. Answer me this, did God command anti-abortion clinic bombings or was it done out of disobedience to God? I think the answer is a very simple one. I can link you just as many articles referring to killings commited in the name of atheism. The argument works both ways, but mainly against atheists, slightly silly of you to use that argument against my faith.
I didn't say having sins are not a cop out. I said having sins forgiven is a cop out.
How so? This rests solely on the fact that you do not believe God to be real. I can just as easily say to you - not believing in God is a cop out because you shut yourself away from the fact that you will stand before God in judgement one day.
Lets see, sin example:

Not the case, I think you'll find it's much simpler than that. It's -

"God, heal my heart, my life is yours, I give it to you. Thank you for your forgiveness, mercy, love and grace. Come into my heart and make it clean. Amen."

That's an example, simply saying sorry isn't enough, you have the wrong idea. One must ask Jesus into their life in order to receive salvation.
I am a non-believer, never cheated or done anything dishonest. –Hell
So you have never lied, never stolen, never said or thought a bad thing about anyone, never put a person down, never commited any form of bad act against any person. I think you'll find that you are wrong there. Yes, if you do not accept Jesus into your life, then you are headed for hell. Your choice. Your opportunity. Your salvation.
I ask yet again, out of all of the Gods and Messiahs throughout human history why do you believe in the one you believe in?

1. Because of the vastly large amount of evidence backing up the claims of the Christian faith.
2. Experiencing God.
3. The fact that no other religion can account for itself in every circumstance thrown against it apart from Christianity.
4. No other religions contain sufficient evidence to back their claims up.
5. Atheism is a hopeless faith with a mis-interpreted idea of God which is corrupt and should not be used as an argument against Christian faith.
Is your family Christian?
I have already answered this, no.
Are you the same religion as your family out of the countless others?
No, what a silly argument to put forward.

I have one question - why are you a moral being?

SB
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sam if I were you I wouldn't answer this guy, he is a crank with an axe to grind.

FL once told me by arguing with him I am just adding fuel to his fire, he doesn't want sincere conversation, all he is interested in is arguing period.

Dan
I see what you mean, although I am slowly loosing both tolerance and patience, I feel inclined to provide a defence against his claims, especially considering his claims are mainly false and not the slightest bit intelligable.

SB
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Sam1995 wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sam if I were you I wouldn't answer this guy, he is a crank with an axe to grind.

Dan
I see what you mean, although I am slowly loosing both tolerance and patience, I feel inclined to provide a defence against his claims, especially considering his claims are mainly false and not the slightest bit intelligable.

SB
Sometimes it better to walk away and not throw pearls to pigs, Matthew 7:6
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Sam1995 wrote:I see what you [Danieltwotwenty] mean, although I am slowly loosing both tolerance and patience, I feel inclined to provide a defence against his claims, especially considering his claims are mainly false and not the slightest bit intelligable.
I used to be an atheist, and a vile one of similar style to snorider and his alterego MAGSolo. I can assure you that snorider is unable to understand what you are writing for two reasons:

1. he is unable to understand the Bible because it is veiled to the unregenerate: 1 Cor 2:14,15, 16 and,
2. he is hostile towards God. A blasphemer will not recognize God no matter what He does, Mt 11: 17, 18, 19.

Danieltwotwenty is right:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Sometimes it better to walk away and not throw pearls to pigs, Matthew 7:6
The best thing you can do for someone like snorider is to pray for him: if he dies tomorrow, he is going to hell where he will suffer incredible torment for eternity. As an atheist, I was a fool and I recognize snorider as a fool after my own heart. So, I pray for him every day. Every day. If you want to help, pray. Do not answer him, pray.

FL y[-o<
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Dan
Didn't your mother teach you if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all?
snorider
Established Member

Post by snorider »

Sam1995, I spent 2-3 hours replying to your post, when I hit submit it asked me to login again, my entire reply was lost. When I get a chance I'll reply to your post.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I am a non-believer, never cheated or done anything dishonest. -Hell
Sno,
Just making that claim, I can say that this person is a liar, and being dishonest.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Sam1995
Valued Member

Post by Sam1995 »

snorider wrote:Sam1995, I spent 2-3 hours replying to your post, when I hit submit it asked me to login again, my entire reply was lost. When I get a chance I'll reply to your post.
No problem, looking forward to hearing it my friend! Provided that the discussion does not get out of hand. :)

SB
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

snorider wrote:

Dan
Didn't your mother teach you if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all?

I don't see anything bad in this, it is just a warning for Sam so he knows what he is getting in to, nothing more.

Going by your logic of "if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all?" you would have to retract pretty much everything you have ever posted here.

Dan