Faith continually challenged

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Faith continually challenged

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Beanybag wrote:I'm not trying to preclude god from this equation
Beanybag wrote:just to say that god's interference
You seem to be smart and you write well but you keep on making the same mistrake over and over again. When you refer to God - the Christian/Jewish deity - God takes a capital G. If you are refering to a god, it takes a small g. Here's the thing: there is a god from Wisconsin who's name is Howard Klemp; there is another god from Arabia who is called Allah...and so on. Would you write ''howard klemp'' or ''allah'' or ''vishnu''?

Now that you know, write ''God'' properly.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Beanybag
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Beanybag »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Beanybag wrote:I'm not trying to preclude god from this equation
Beanybag wrote:just to say that god's interference
You seem to be smart and you write well but you keep on making the same mistrake over and over again. When you refer to God - the Christian/Jewish deity - God takes a capital G. If you are refering to a god, it takes a small g. Here's the thing: there is a god from Wisconsin who's name is Howard Klemp; there is another god from Arabia who is called Allah...and so on. Would you write ''howard klemp'' or ''allah'' or ''vishnu''?

Now that you know, write ''God'' properly.

FL
I am very sorry, I mean no disrespect. It is a bad habit of mine to not capitalize proper nouns and names. As for whether I would write howard klemp or allah, the answer is yes, I often do, even it it's not strictly correct (it seems rather harmless to me!). But, I will try to remember. Thanks. :]
KBCid
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

Phi wrote:You nailed it, computer programmer (used to be, now I manage the team, so my skills aren't as good as they used to be , hah!
One of the simple things that is overlooked in the context of a programmer is that even the programming that is done in that field requires a program to allow you to perform.

There is also no reason why any symbolic reference would stay stuck to any other symbol. Remember, there are forces that work to break things apart and the smallest cell conceived of requires minimally 100 - 200 genes. The problem of course is how to acheive such complexity and begin replication before being torn down by the forces of nature.

There is one other viewpoint that is beginning to arise on the scene. In order for a structure of matter to replicate it requires precise 3 dimensional positioning control. This point is just beginning to be understood as a requirement of replication and scientists are looking for how it is caused and how it functions. A fundamental understanding here is that in order to accurately position matter within our environment it requires 3 points of reference relative to a 4th reference point a.k.a. 0,0,0.
The biblical account of creation continuously infers that God can cause matter to form into specific arrangements within 3 dimensional space.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Beanybag wrote:I am very sorry, I mean no disrespect. It is a bad habit of mine to not capitalize proper nouns and names. As for whether I would write howard klemp or allah, the answer is yes, I often do, even it it's not strictly correct (it seems rather harmless to me!). But, I will try to remember. Thanks. :]
This isn't about respect - indeed, it is impossible for you to respect God - this is about accuracy. Since you capitalize words correctly at the beginning of your sentences and you write very well, I somehow doubt you would forget to capitalize Howard Klemp or Allah.

Anyway, carry on.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Dudeacus97
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Dudeacus97 »

My faith used to be challenged by very stupid questions before I discovered this website and the field of apologetics.
"Christianity has always embraced both reason and faith."
-Dinesh D'Souza

"Stop listening to John Lennon and start listening to John Lennox! What about a world without the atheists? A word with no Stalin, no Mao, no Pol Pot? A world with no Gulag, no Cultural Revolution, no Killing Fields? Wouldn't that be a world worth dreaming about?"
-John Lennox