would you swear on the bible ?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Deborah_mac
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

would you swear on the bible ?

Post by Deborah_mac »

Would you swear that what you have said is the truth on the bible ?
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female

Re: would you swear on the bible ?

Post by For_Narniaaa »

The verse that came to my mind was Matthew 5:34-37:

(Jesus talking): "But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, 'By heaven!' because heaven is God's throne. And do not say, 'By the earth!' because the earth is His footstool. And do not say, 'By my head!' for you can't turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, 'Yes, I will,' or 'No, I won't.' Anything beyond this is from the evil one." (NLT)

I think it's okay in court, because you really should be telling the truth. But I think it's a risky thing to make a serious vow when you're just making a promise to a friend or something.

Any thoughts?

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
Ngakunui
Established Member
Sex: Male

Post by Ngakunui »

Personally, I'd rather not swear on the Bible, or anything at all. If you're swearing on the Bible, you're essentially swearing on everything God said and quite a vast historical record to give us good examples(It is called the "Word of God" for a reason). It states that anything beyond "Yes" or "No" in such an instance is from the devil, and I do personally believe that includes placing one hand on a bible, and your other in the air- so to speak.

This is, however, my insight on this. I, personally, wouldn't want to risk my soul and knowingly go almost explicitly as possible against something Jesus said.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

:amen: let your yes be yes and your no be no. I would not swear on a Bible.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No

Post by imoneru? »

For_Narniaaa wrote:The verse that came to my mind was Matthew 5:34-37:

(Jesus talking): "But I say, do not make any vows! Do not say, 'By heaven!' because heaven is God's throne. And do not say, 'By the earth!' because the earth is His footstool. And do not say, 'By my head!' for you can't turn one hair white or black. Just say a simple, 'Yes, I will,' or 'No, I won't.' Anything beyond this is from the evil one." (NLT)

I think it's okay in court, because you really should be telling the truth. But I think it's a risky thing to make a serious vow when you're just making a promise to a friend or something.

Any thoughts?
I haven't thought much about it as I have never had to take the stand in court to testify on behalf of someone, However should I be called to do so I might mention that I am a Christian and believe based on the bible that I should not swear on the bible but that I promise to tell the truth.

In which case I have been told you will be given a form to sign stating that you will tell the truth, Like I said I have never been put in that position so whether that is true or not I can't say...Ray
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

I would swear on the Bible for certain governmental activities (preparation to be a witness, taking an oath to defend the constitution in civil service, etc...). I would NOT swear on a Bible outside of them. Let your yes be yes and your no be no is good instruction.