Birds created BEFORE reptiles???

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Shirtless
Established Member
Christian: No

Birds created BEFORE reptiles???

Post by Shirtless »

In The Literal Interpretation of the Genesis One Creation Account, chronology is very important. For example, the universe was obviously created first because Gen 1:1 says "...God created the heavens and the Earth," which is chronologically accurate.

But I'm having issues with a big fat problem regarding the creation of birds in Genesis 1:21, and the creation of land animals three passages later. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first "flying" animals were seen in the Jurassic/Cretaceous period, long after the things that "crawl along the ground" had been created.

Has this problem been addressed here or on other sites before?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

All the answers I have seen tries to explain it in the context of global flood geology.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Shirtless
Established Member

Post by Shirtless »

Do you have a reference or a link?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I'll have a look around, but the short explanation is that since all fossils were created by the global flood and subsequent drying, it makes sense that birds would show up in higher strata than land animals, since they would succumb later, and thus not be buried by the inital deluge. It has no bearing on the creation sequence.

I'll look for a link as well.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
paparalph
Acquainted Member

birds before land animals

Post by paparalph »

Is it possible that dinosaurs were birds? Perhaps dinosaurs always had microscopic feathers that eventually evolved by growing larger to accommodate colder conditions. After all, many scientists try to make a direct lineage between the two. Thats my shot in the dark.... :?: Then again, crawly land creatures weren't dinosaurs. Should my faith rest in this problem? I must admit this troubles me as well!!!!
mark2123
Acquainted Member

Re: Birds created BEFORE reptiles???

Post by mark2123 »

Shirtless wrote:In The Literal Interpretation of the Genesis One Creation Account, chronology is very important. For example, the universe was obviously created first because Gen 1:1 says "...God created the heavens and the Earth," which is chronologically accurate.

But I'm having issues with a big fat problem regarding the creation of birds in Genesis 1:21, and the creation of land animals three passages later. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the first "flying" animals were seen in the Jurassic/Cretaceous period, long after the things that "crawl along the ground" had been created.

Has this problem been addressed here or on other sites before?
You are having issues with it? My, you have a hectic life.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Birds created BEFORE reptiles???

Post by sandy_mcd »

mark2123 wrote:You are having issues with it? My, you have a hectic life.
Hmm... Something about pots and kettles floating around my head, but maybe later - I have work to do now.