Covid vaccine personal experiences

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Fliegender
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Covid vaccine personal experiences

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 pm Then I guess it’s great that you have already had Covid-19 and recovered from it, so there’s no rational reason for you to subject yourself to getting vaccinated.
Yes, I got Covid and recovered. It was nothing really, a few days of nausea and headaches. I’ll still get the vaccine because I want the written confirmation that will allow me to travel to Europe next summer without worrying EU customs officers.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:40 pm
RickD wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:29 pm Then I guess it’s great that you have already had Covid-19 and recovered from it, so there’s no rational reason for you to subject yourself to getting vaccinated.
Yes, I got Covid and recovered. It was nothing really, a few days of nausea and headaches. I’ll still get the vaccine because I want the written confirmation that will allow me to travel to Europe next summer without worrying EU customs officers.
You actually care about the feelings of EU customs officers?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm You actually care about the feelings of EU customs officers?
It’s not about feelings. Customs officers are there to protect a nation against all manner of threats. They have a right to refuse entry to anyone who may be breaking their laws or who is a security threat. A Covid vaccine and the accompanying certificate (or a future Covid passport) just makes entry into a foreign country that much easier.

I visited Poland last October and had my temperature taken when I left, again in Frankfurt, again in Munich and one more time before getting my ride in Warsaw. No Covid vaccine was available then but now that it exists, they will probably require proof of vaccination. (Qantas and Air NZ already require such proof.) I’m willing to make life easier on myself and have no irrational fears about vaccinations.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
It’s not about feelings.
Thank God. I thought you were going soft on us.
I’m willing to make life easier on myself and have no irrational fears about vaccinations.
I agree. My concerns, not fears, about these particular vaccines are indeed rational, and based on facts and science.

And besides, there’s no reason for me to fear a vaccine that I’ll never get. That would be irrational.

Don’t you wonder why some will require a vaccine “card”, yet they won’t accept that you already have natural immunity to the virus? Why not have an antibody “card”, showing that you have the antibodies?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Themoonlandingswerefilmedinthearizonadesert! wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 am
FL wrote:
It’s not about feelings.
Thank God. I thought you were going soft on us.
I’m willing to make life easier on myself and have no irrational fears about vaccinations.
I agree. My concerns, not fears, about these particular vaccines are indeed rational, and based on facts and science.

And besides, there’s no reason for me to fear a vaccine that I’ll never get. That would be irrational.

Don’t you wonder why some will require a vaccine “card”, yet they won’t accept that you already have natural immunity to the virus? Why not have an antibody “card”, showing that you have the antibodies?
1. You don’t really need the vaccine if you don’t intend to travel across an international border.

2. Vaccine research is serious. Anti-vaxx “research” is done by nutcases surfing the internet while pooping on the John...

3. Because getting a vaccine is a lot simpler - not to mention much cheaper - than going through the necessary blood tests and lab work to show you have the antibodies. The vaccine card is there to prove you have the antibodies. When I cross a border with my dog, Customs & Border Patrol officers want to see proof that my dog has her rabies shot. They don’t just take my word for it, nor should they.
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

inThePocketofBigPharma wrote:
2. Vaccine research is serious. Anti-vaxx “research” is done by nutcases surfing the internet while pooping on the John...
And researching the pros and cons of any subject is done by people who have an open mind. But hey, if you want to trust the word of those who are profiting off of your ignorance, feel free.
3. Because getting a vaccine is a lot simpler - not to mention much cheaper - than going through the necessary blood tests and lab work to show you have the antibodies. The vaccine card is there to prove you have the antibodies. When I cross a border with my dog, Customs & Border Patrol officers want to see proof that my dog has her rabies shot. They don’t just take my word for it, nor should they.
Blood test for me was free at my job. And I was on the clock when I had blood drawn. But the vaccine would also have been free if I wanted it. But I decided to think of someone else other than myself. I graciously gave up my vaccine, so another person could be poisoned would be saved from a 99.5% recovery rate a horrible virus.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

Theboogeymanhaseatenmybrain wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 am
...researching the pros and cons of any subject is done by people who have an open mind. But hey, if you want to trust the word of those who are profiting off of your ignorance, feel free.
Nope. The anti-vaxxers I’ve read about were all off the wall: the type of people who believe in conspiracy theories. Then there are those who are just afraid because they have third-handily heard about a bogus 1990s study by a British scientist who claimed vaccines cause autism. He was a fraud but he still has a significant following.
Blood test for me was free at my job. And I was on the clock when I had blood drawn. But the vaccine would also have been free if I wanted it. But I decided to think of someone else other than myself. I graciously gave up my vaccine, so another person could be poisoned would be saved from a 99.5% recovery rate a horrible virus.
As I’ve said before, I don’t care about the virus one way or another. A vaccine and it’s accompanying certificate is all I care about. Customs officers will want to see that certificate only and are not going to be impressed by some hospital document they can’t understand saying you have this-or-that antibody. Customs officers want to see a concise document; that’s why you need a passport. You can’t just bring a bunch of papers saying you’re a fine upstanding citizen. Ditto for proof of Covid immunity. Get it?!

None of this is important if you’re not traveling internationally.
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Nope. The anti-vaxxers I’ve read about were all off the wall: the type of people who believe in conspiracy theories. Then there are those who are just afraid because they have third-handily heard about a bogus 1990s study by a British scientist who claimed vaccines cause autism. He was a fraud but he still has a significant following.
You’ve read about? Really? The great traveler you are, and you don’t know people who are skeptical of a rushed vaccine, for a virus that has a 99% recovery rate?

I work in a hospital with nurses and doctors that have refused to get this vaccine. I’m not talking about a few “antivax conspiracy theorists”. I’m talking about normal, everyday people who don’t want the vaccine.

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm
I work in a hospital with nurses and doctors that have refused to get this vaccine. I’m not talking about a few “antivax conspiracy theorists”. I’m talking about normal, everyday people who don’t want the vaccine.
Of course there are healthcare professionals who refuse to get the vaccine and they may have legitimate personal- or spurious-reasons for their choice. That’s irrelevant. The majority of healthcare workers get vaccinated and are not frightened by the anti-vaxxers whom - I repeat - largely get their information from nutcases on the web with an axe to grind.

What’s telling is that infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths are down in every country where the vaccination campaign is underway. Every single country. The USA which was the worst hit thanks to the ineptitude of the previous administration, is on its way to getting the pandemic controlled...thanks to the vaccinations.
-John Stuart Mill
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:47 pm
Of course there are healthcare professionals who refuse to get the vaccine and they may have legitimate personal- or spurious-reasons for their choice. That’s irrelevant. The majority of healthcare workers get vaccinated and are not frightened by the anti-vaxxers whom - I repeat - largely get their information from nutcases on the web with an axe to grind.

What’s telling is that infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths are down in every country where the vaccination campaign is underway. Every single country. The USA which was the worst hit globally thanks to the ineptitude of the previous administration, is on its way to getting the pandemic controlled...thanks to the vaccinations.
-John Stuart Mill
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

2 Corinthians 5:21
He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Made to be sin on our behalf, then, which part inside or out, is not sin?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

apologies folks I submitted this to the wrong post.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

EssentialSacrifice wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:18 pm apologies folks I submitted this to the wrong post.
You are forgiven, my child. Recite 3 Hail Marys for your penance.

:incense:
-John Stuart Mill
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
It seems like you’re suggesting that those you choose not to get the Covid vaccine are frightened by some kind of conspiratorial anti-vaxxer. I did an informal poll at my hospital last year, around the time that we were expecting the vaccine to arrive. I asked about 30-35 random people who worked at the hospital, most of whom were nurses, if they were going to get the vaccine. More than half said they’d be willing to lose their jobs if it came to mandatory Covid vaccines in the workplace. And the overwhelming majority said they weren’t going to get the vaccine because there were no studies on the long term effects of a rushed vaccine.

This has nothing to do with some idea that you have about anti-vaxxers.
What’s telling is that infection rates, hospitalizations and deaths are down in every country where the vaccination campaign is underway. Every single country. The USA which was the worst hit globally thanks to the ineptitude of the previous administration, is on its way to getting the pandemic controlled...thanks to the vaccinations.
And you’re sure the hospitalizations and deaths are down because of vaccines? It has nothing to do with the fact that people know how to treat patients better, and the fact that many people already have natural immunity to the virus because their bodies have produced antibodies? Do you know how many people were like me, and had no idea they fought off Covid because we had no symptoms?

You’re seriously blaming the Trump administration for Covid deaths?

Seriously?

-Edward R Murrow

Fliegender

Post by Fliegender »

RickD wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:54 pm
It seems like you’re suggesting that those you choose not to get the Covid vaccine are frightened by some kind of conspiratorial anti-vaxxer. I did an informal poll at my hospital last year, around the time that we were expecting the vaccine to arrive. I asked about 30-35 random people who worked at the hospital, most of whom were nurses, if they were going to get the vaccine. More than half said they’d be willing to lose their jobs if it came to mandatory Covid vaccines in the workplace. And the overwhelming majority said they weren’t going to get the vaccine because there were no studies on the long term effects of a rushed vaccine.

This has nothing to do with some idea that you have about anti-
That was your informal poll last year. It was taken at an emotionally charged time when research into this vaccine was still young...and you must remember the lunacy coming out of the Oval Office which many Americans swallowed whole. It’s only an anecdotal poll anyway and has even less meaning now when the vaccines have so far been proven to be safe. Even the recent “worry” around the AstraZeneca vaccine is largely baseless (30 people out of 5 million vaccinated have had a serious side-effect not necessarily attributable to the vaccine). So yes, fear, misinformation and ignorance are the reasons for people refusing to be vaccinated. (In the U.S. there’s probably a cultural component as well.)

My wife came out of retirement to administer vaccinations and some (not many) people refuse to be vaccinated with COVISHIELD, a vaccine developed and produced in India. They refused it because it was Indian and for no other reason. It happened today. There’s an example of fear, misinformation and ignorance right there.
wrote: And you’re sure the hospitalizations and deaths are down because of vaccines? It has nothing to do with the fact that people know how to treat patients better, and the fact that many people already have natural immunity to the virus because their bodies have produced antibodies? Do you know how many people were like me, and had no idea they fought off Covid because we had no symptoms?

You’re seriously blaming the Trump administration for Covid deaths?

Seriously?
Yes, hospitalizations and deaths are down because of the vaccination campaign. That’s the only reason. It’s true everywhere there’s a vaccination campaign in progress. It’s true in the U.S since the Biden administration took over and only since then. Better hospital care is only possible when staff isn’t overworked. Less sick people = better care for those who are hospitalized.

The Trump administration was inept on this issue because Trump himself didn’t believe in it. He also believed and fed into conspiracy theories himself. As such, that administration could only fail on Covid-19 and it did. Spectacularly. I’m not blaming that administration for deaths. History will judge him and I doubt he’ll be seen positively. I’m just saying the previous administration was inept and the death statistics are there to prove it.
-John Stuart Mill