What is Objective Morality?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What is Objective Morality?

Post by 1over137 »

Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:What does it mean "senses working correctly" ?
In this particular case I would say; works in accordance with 99% of the population.

Ken
Go back some decades when there was slavery in USA for example. How many percent viewed it as something wrong?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.
Here I thought we were making progress but I'm not despairing just yet.

By your definition above, does this mean that something that is not proven or demonstrated cannot be objective?
Correct. That would make it subjective.

K
Okay so let's take an example. Earlier you had agreed (I think) that torturing babies for fun is an objective moral wrong (i.e. regardless of anyone's opinion). Let's assume that in the entire history of humanity there has never, ever been an incident of torturing babies for pleasure. Now please demonstrate or prove, as per your definition above, that torturing babies for fun is objectively wrong.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:
jlay wrote:
Kenny wrote: I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

Ken
Let's just say that everyone believed it was OK to torture puppies for fun. Would that make it so?
Torturing puppies is easy. How about if one person felt race mixing was okay but fornication was wrong. The other person felt that fornication was okay, but race mixing was wrong, and they both felt it was objective; if something like that can't be demonstrated; wouldn't that make it subjective?

Ken
Then let's stick with the easy stuff, shall we. We're having a hard time communicating as it is.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
In this particular case I would say; works in accordance with 99% of the population.

Ken
Go back some decades when there was slavery in USA for example. How many percent viewed it as something wrong?
It would be a very small percentage. But in the above quote, when I said "in accordance with 99% of the population" I was refering to the 5 senses of taste, touch, hearing, smelling, and sight; All physical. I was not talking about morality; non physical.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.
Here I thought we were making progress but I'm not despairing just yet.

By your definition above, does this mean that something that is not proven or demonstrated cannot be objective?
Correct. That would make it subjective.

K
Okay so let's take an example. Earlier you had agreed (I think) that torturing babies for fun is an objective moral wrong (i.e. regardless of anyone's opinion). Let's assume that in the entire history of humanity there has never, ever been an incident of torturing babies for pleasure. Now please demonstrate or prove, as per your definition above, that torturing babies for fun is objectively wrong.
I didn't agree that it was an objective moral wrong, I believe it is wrong; but subjective. I believe morality is subjective, not objective; which is why I started this thread; so I can hear from those who believe it is objective and understand why.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
jlay wrote:
Kenny wrote: I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

Ken
Let's just say that everyone believed it was OK to torture puppies for fun. Would that make it so?
Torturing puppies is easy. How about if one person felt race mixing was okay but fornication was wrong. The other person felt that fornication was okay, but race mixing was wrong, and they both felt it was objective; if something like that can't be demonstrated; wouldn't that make it subjective?

Ken
Then let's stick with the easy stuff, shall we. We're having a hard time communicating as it is.
That's fine. When it comes to torturing puppies, I believe it is a subjective moral wrong.

Ken
RickD wrote
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I will limit myself to three questions to you, Kenny. I will keep all of my replies to you to less than a couple of sentences and only ask you questions that require a couple sentence response. I do that so that you won't need to spend very long responding me so that you make sure you respond fully to jlay and Byblos.

1. I want you to define "wrong," not so much by giving me a dictionary definition, but by restating the sentence, "Torturing puppies is wrong" . . . so you say, "Torturing puppies is _________________."

Thank you
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
It would be a very small percentage. But in the above quote, when I said "in accordance with 99% of the population" I was refering to the 5 senses of taste, touch, hearing, smelling, and sight; All physical. I was not talking about morality; non physical.

Ken
Then maybe I could say that objective morality is something 99% of the population would agree on if their 'sixth sense' was working correcly.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jac3510 wrote:I will limit myself to three questions to you, Kenny. I will keep all of my replies to you to less than a couple of sentences and only ask you questions that require a couple sentence response. I do that so that you won't need to spend very long responding me so that you make sure you respond fully to jlay and Byblos.

1. I want you to define "wrong," not so much by giving me a dictionary definition, but by restating the sentence, "Torturing puppies is wrong" . . . so you say, "Torturing puppies is _________________."

Thank you
I would say it is wrong because it causes needless suffering. I say it is subjective instead of objective because it is something I believe; not something I can proove or demonstrate to someone who believes it is good.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:
1over137 wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken

Ken
Then maybe I could say that objective morality is something 99% of the population would agree on if their 'sixth sense' was working correcly.
Do you believe 99% of the population has a sixth sense?

Ken
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I do believe that not 99% of the population has 'sixth sense' working correctly.

As the Bible says, people are corrupted.

And by 'sixth sense' I mean the ability to know what is right and wrong.

#foreverinmyheart
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:I do believe that not 99% of the population has 'sixth sense' working correctly.

As the Bible says, people are corrupted.

And by 'sixth sense' I mean the ability to know what is right and wrong.
So you believe 99% of people do not know right from wrong? Wouldn't that suggest subjective morality?

K
RickD wrote
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Kenny wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I will limit myself to three questions to you, Kenny. I will keep all of my replies to you to less than a couple of sentences and only ask you questions that require a couple sentence response. I do that so that you won't need to spend very long responding me so that you make sure you respond fully to jlay and Byblos.

Thank you
I would say it is wrong because it causes needless suffering. I say it is subjective instead of objective because it is something I believe; not something I can proove or demonstrate to someone who believes it is good.

Ken
Ok, nevermind. If you aren't going to answer an extremely straightforward question, then I'll leave you to those who want to keep playing games with you.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jac3510 wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Thank you

Ken
Ok, nevermind. If you aren't going to answer an extremely straightforward question, then I'll leave you to those who want to keep playing games with you.
Your question was not very clear. I don't know what kind of answer you were looking for. If you were simply looking for a definition of "wrong" I would say there are lots of definitions; needless suffering is one of them.

Ken
Last edited by Kenny on Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Needless suffering?

Hey, if torturing puppies brings you/me/them pleasure then how is it needless? Obviously you/me/them felt the 'need' to do satisfy the urge.

Kenny, your answer is evasive but reveals that you view suffering (needless or otherwise) as evidence that things are NOT as they OUGHT to be. If things OUGHT to be one way rather than another, then bingo, morality is objective.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious