What is Objective Morality?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

What is Objective Morality?

Post by Kenny »

I often hear Christians claim the existence of “objective morality” as opposed to all morality being subjective. What is it? Is it like math where anybody who understands math will agree that 1+1=2, or like anyone with their 5 senses working correctly will see the grass is green, that sugar is sweet, and the brick wall in front of them exists? Do you believe anyone who understands morals will agree that slavery (for example) is wrong if slavery is an objective moral situation? What are objective morals?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What is Objective Morality?

Post by 1over137 »

What does it mean "senses working correctly" ?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:I often hear Christians claim the existence of “objective morality” as opposed to all morality being subjective. What is it? Is it like math where anybody who understands math will agree that 1+1=2, or like anyone with their 5 senses working correctly will see the grass is green, that sugar is sweet, and the brick wall in front of them exists? Do you believe anyone who understands morals will agree that slavery (for example) is wrong if slavery is an objective moral situation? What are objective morals?
Do universal right and wrong exist, Kenny? Can torturing babies for fun ever be called right?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:What does it mean "senses working correctly" ?
In this particular case I would say; works in accordance with 99% of the population.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:I often hear Christians claim the existence of “objective morality” as opposed to all morality being subjective. What is it? Is it like math where anybody who understands math will agree that 1+1=2, or like anyone with their 5 senses working correctly will see the grass is green, that sugar is sweet, and the brick wall in front of them exists? Do you believe anyone who understands morals will agree that slavery (for example) is wrong if slavery is an objective moral situation? What are objective morals?
Do universal right and wrong exist, Kenny? Can torturing babies for fun ever be called right?
I guess it depends upon what you mean by "universal". If it means "understood and agreed by all" I wold say no because there is always gonna be some sick jerk who disagrees. If it means pertains to all, weather they agree or not; I would say yes.

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

It means it is true regardless of opinion.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
I guess it depends upon what you mean by "universal". If it means "understood and agreed by all" I wold say no because there is always gonna be some sick jerk who disagrees. If it means pertains to all, weather they agree or not; I would say yes.

Ken
By your last statement I emphasized I take it you agree with what Jlay said? That certain morals are objectively right (or wrong) regardless of anyone's opinion? I just want to be sure I fully understand what you're saying.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:It means it is true regardless of opinion.
Is it something that can be proven or demonstrated as true? Or is simply believing it true good enough?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Ken
By your last statement I emphasized I take it you agree with what Jlay said? That certain morals are objectively right (or wrong) regardless of anyone's opinion? I just want to be sure I fully understand what you're saying.
I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote:
jlay wrote:It means it is true regardless of opinion.
Is it something that can be proven or demonstrated as true? Or is simply believing it true good enough?

Ken
Anyone who doesn't believe in the law of non-contradiction should be beaten and burned until they admit that to be beaten and burned is not the same as to not be beaten and burned. :pound:

Is there any situation where it would be right to torture puppies for personal pleasure?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote: I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

Ken
Let's just say that everyone believed it was OK to torture puppies for fun. Would that make it so?

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.
Here I thought we were making progress but I'm not despairing just yet.

By your definition above, does this mean that something that is not proven or demonstrated cannot be objective? Again I'm just attempting to flesh out your position because it seems to me that it keeps changing.

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

By your definition above, does this mean that something that is not proven or demonstrated cannot be objective? Again I'm just attempting to flesh out your position because it seems to me that it keeps changing.
How many times have we seen people confuse ontology with epistemology? :?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:

By your definition above, does this mean that something that is not proven or demonstrated cannot be objective?
Correct. That would make it subjective.

K
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:
Kenny wrote: I think objective is what can be proven or demonstrated; subjective is what is believed.

Ken
Let's just say that everyone believed it was OK to torture puppies for fun. Would that make it so?
Torturing puppies is easy. How about if one person felt race mixing was okay but fornication was wrong. The other person felt that fornication was okay, but race mixing was wrong, and they both felt it was objective; if something like that can't be demonstrated; wouldn't that make it subjective?

Ken
RickD wrote