Bringing people back to life

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Bringing people back to life

Post by ultimate777 »

Before we start debating whether or not it will ever be possible for ordinary people to bring dead people back to life by non-supernatural means lets say it is possible? Hey, who would have believed airplanes possible 1000 years ago, ok? (That's a rhetorical qustion :) )

Suppose, say, it becomes possible, and after being dead at least a few days a person is brought back to life does his or her soul stay in heaven or hell or what?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: Bringing people back to life

Post by neo-x »

ultimate777 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Before we start debating whether or not it will ever be possible for ordinary people to bring dead people back to life by non-supernatural means lets say it is possible? Hey, who would have believed airplanes possible 1000 years ago, ok? (That's a rhetorical qustion )

Suppose, say, it becomes possible, and after being dead at least a few days a person is brought back to life does his or her soul stay in heaven or hell or what?
it gets lost in the air.... :lol:

But seriously, if a person is brought back from the dead, he'll just die again, didnt u think of it? so his soul just makes an express trip, and back it goes.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

neo-x wrote:

Before we start debating whether or not it will ever be possible for ordinary people to bring dead people back to life by non-supernatural means lets say it is possible? Hey, who would have believed airplanes possible 1000 years ago, ok? (That's a rhetorical qustion )

But seriously, if a person is brought back from the dead, he'll just die again, didnt u think of it? so his soul just makes an express trip, and back it goes.
So would that be the second death spoken of in the Bible?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

What would be the point if they haven't been regenerated (John 3:3, John 3:6, John 6:63)? Bringing zombies back to life would really be bringing zombies back to death (1 Corinthians 15:45).

--- IN CHRIST ---
-bradford-
Bradigans
Recognized Member

Post by Bradigans »

Byblos wrote:
neo-x wrote:

So would that be the second death spoken of in the Bible?
The second death (Revelation 20:6), meaning you're on your way to the lake, I believe is for those who didn't have their part in the first resurrection (John 3:3, John 3:6).

--- IN CHRIST ---
-bradford-
BryanH
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by BryanH »

Before we start debating whether or not it will ever be possible for ordinary people to bring dead people back to life by non-supernatural means lets say it is possible? Hey, who would have believed airplanes possible 1000 years ago, ok? (That's a rhetorical qustion :) )

If you manage to answer that question, well, you solved the greatest puzzle of all times:)) Being immortal would be nice, that of course if we also find a way to solve the overpopulation issue.

But now coming back to more realistic expectations, in 40-50 years time, at the pace technology develops rights now, in theory we will be able to live inside a computer mainframe and thus becoming immortal. I don't know if you could actually revive someone after being dead, but you can surely make sure that they don't die:))

This is just a prediction of how fast technology will develop. That's all. Of course that as technology develops we might find ways to revive people or not... Depending on how old you are now, you might be witness for some of those technologies.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

It took 2000 years for man to do what the HS did with a Virgin, who knows what will happen in another 2K.
Mitzy
Familiar Member
Sex: Female

Post by Mitzy »

ultimate777 wrote:Before we start debating whether or not it will ever be possible for ordinary people to bring dead people back to life by non-supernatural means lets say it is possible? Hey, who would have believed airplanes possible 1000 years ago, ok? (That's a rhetorical qustion :) )

Was Frankenstein a good example? I really do not know what to say here because I do not think it would ever be possible, like the whole freezing your body thing and bringing it back. I think that once your soul goes its gone unless God sends it bacl. It may be different for animals because they have no soul.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I think that people are missing one small issue here, that is the universe is not infinite and will eventually die.

No matter how hard we try to be immortal it is an impossibility with thermodynamics, well at least our current understanding of it.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Callisto
Established Member

Post by Callisto »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:I think that people are missing one small issue here, that is the universe is not infinite and will eventually die.

No matter how hard we try to be immortal it is an impossibility with thermodynamics, well at least our current understanding of it.

Dan
I heard in one of the podcasts I listen to that they think the Universe will actually fall back into a singularity (i.e. it will collapse) if there is no intervention. I don't think it will, because God will likely save the universe and make into a New Creation. Either that, or we wait until it does collapse in the current dimension of Heaven (however it might look right now) and God will make a new Universe with new laws. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about it. I lean toward the mending of the current Universe to escape entropy and change the laws of physics so it could be called a New Creation - the merging of Heaven and Earth, as it were.

Revelation 21: Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars —they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

This is suggestive to me that what is now will be remade, since he says that he will "make everything new". The old order of things has passed away - likely including entropy and other factors. It also at the bottom says what the true second death is - it's not dying and then coming back to life and dying again in the same sense.

But it goes on in chapter 22:

Revelation 22: Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

This is VASTLY different than what we have now. Could it be thought that even if there was a "space" in this universe, it'd be obsolete since it says that God himself is the light?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Very interesting Callisto, I never thought about it like that.

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them.

This warms my heart.
Callisto
Established Member

Post by Callisto »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Very interesting Callisto, I never thought about it like that.

Dan
To be fair I didn't think of it like that until I heard the podcast and then went and looked up Revelation. :shower: I heard the podcast earlier in the week though and it occurred to me that physics as we know it would be changed - somewhat, at least. No heat death, no collapse into singularity, no darkness at all. An all-encompassing light instead - hasn't Christ said he was "The Way, the Truth, and the Light"?

I'll try to find the podcast - it was a Reasons To Believe podcast, I do know that. :)
Callisto
Established Member

Post by Callisto »

Okay, here's something. It seems to depend on dark matter and the velocity - if the velocity increases it will continue to expand. If it slows, it will get to a point where the velocity is zero and may trigger collapse. Either way - we're going to need an intervention here. :P

http://www.reasons.org/podcasts/i-didnt ... od-stories
http://www.reasons.org/videos/why-is-th ... -expanding

Thought this was also relevant, where Dr. Craig makes a note of the Hawking-Penrose singularity theorem problems, that if a universe collapses back into a singularity it won't likely come back out of it (no eternally oscillating universe). Mostly it's about entropy though. :)

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/defender ... ript/s4-12

Oh, and this: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/the-end-of-the-world
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Thanks Callisto, might see if I can watch it on the weekend......thanks to the Queen, Victoria, Australia has a 3 day weekend :sunny:

Dan