Divorce and Remarriage

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

puritan lad wrote:Of course, if this divorce and remarriage does become an issue, you can always become a Muslim. Check this out :shock:

Man, 68, marries 201 times
“My experiences with women are huge. I see myself as a professor as far as women and their psychology are concerned. There is no type of woman I have not handled,” he added.

That ignorant man simply doesn't know what he doesn't know!

I hear so many stories from Christian women who are doing their part of the deal, following Biblical principles in their marriage, and suffering because it is so one sided. In the ideal marriage, the husband loves his wife as Christ loves the Church and will put her first, sacrifice himself for her. So often it doesn't happen that way, the husband enjoying the wife's submission in love but not reciprocating. However, I have also seen it working both ways and those are relationships that are truly beautiful.

Having read the various passages concerning marriage in the NT, I can remember nothing that prevents an abused wife from reporting the abuse to whoever may help her best, including law enforcement agencies such as police. Without the husband being held accountable for his actions, it is madness for someone who is suffering such abuse to be sent back into the relationship without certain changes having occurred. And a wife with children must not risk the safety of her children either. I believe the advice to return to an abusive husband without any accountability applied successfully to the husband is plain naive and very wrong. Yes, ideally the husband will change his ways given the loving example of the wife, but sometimes hell will freeze over first before that happens. Our love for one another must be responsible and wise, intending the best for the other, concerned and deeply caring. The wife deserves it as much as the husband. The advice I think you got, Michelle, fell far too short to be any of those things and it was just plain wrong.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Divorce and Remarriage

Post by Michelle »

Maybe there is a reason why I went throught this. I recently read in the newspaper how a government minister was stating sleep deprivation did not amount to torture in order to obtain a confession. I went through sleep deprivation so I now know the dangers involved. It is torture. There is the possibility of a wrongful conviction. There are so many issues that result from this.
rob4chris
Newbie Member

Re: Divorce and Remarriage

Post by rob4chris »

Ok, lets stay focused on the truth...Truth is we are sinners, there is none who are righteous. Given that and the ministry of Jesus, I come to this conclusion...( opinion, not interpretation )Christ came to "instruct" us on how we OUGHT to live our lives knowing full well we could not.Sin is sin and that is what we do Christian or not. So He lived as an example for all of us who believe. Knowing us as He does, His shed blood on the cross covered our sins past, present and future. If we are to believe we must be sinless in order to attain His forgiveness then His death would have been Meaningless. So ushers in the part of repentance. As a divorced man, i am quite aware of the issues Christ has with marriage. As a married man...again, I must trust in Jesus' instruction on repentance and NOT Divorce again...this is repentance..not to continue in the same...(note SAME ) sin. As he forgave the adulteress..."Nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more" speaking of her adultery, not all of her sins. Again as the word says, It is Gods will that none should parish but ALL to come to...( heres the key ) REPENTANCE.

Praise Him!
rob4chris
Newbie Member

Post by rob4chris »

As far as the marriage vows and who broke what and when.....It is scripturally the mans responsibility to treat his wife as himself...if he fails to do this and alot of men do...Then how can Jesus hold this as sin against the woman? He will not. Yes God hates divorce, but He loves us more than he can ever hate anything.The forgivness of failed marraiges is only to real and it does grieve the heart of our Father, Enter His Son Jesus in which all things are made new.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

What do you say to someone who says that living with a divorced person puts you in a perpetual state of disobedience?
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Debbie Elder
Newbie Member

Post by Debbie Elder »

Is the spouse from the first marriage alive? Is that person re-married? I speak as one who is personally involved in the same situation.

Looking forward to everyone's input :) --Debbie
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Ok, I may sound "old-fashioned", but a couple may only be divorced in God's eyes, other than adultery, if the husband decides he no longer wants his wife. Then both are free to remarry. The only other way is death of a spouse.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Enigma7457
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Enigma7457 »

Ok, I may sound "old-fashioned", but a couple may only be divorced in God's eyes, other than adultery, if the husband decides he no longer wants his wife. Then both are free to remarry. The only other way is death of a spouse.
What?! I am a guy and i don't agree. (with if the husband decides he no longer wants his wife part). If i 'don't want her anymore', i am free of my marriage? I think that is a little worse than 'old-fashioned'.

By the way, where are you getting that from? Any scripture?
FFC

Post by FFC »

I think that is a little worse than 'old-fashioned'.
it's more like new fashioned. :) Seriously, I think Jesus made it clear that except for fornication there is no excuse at all for divorce. Even when the Jews reminded him about how Moses said it was okay if you got a writing of divorcement, he reminded them back that it was only because there hard hearts that he allowed that. Jesus said that from the beginning it was a given that what God put together shouldn't be separated.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Ok, everyone. I admit it, I was wrong, sorry. The previous post, by FFC, I think says the truth of the matter. Next time I will seriously do a lot of research before just jumping in and opening my mouth... :(
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:Ok, everyone. I admit it, I was wrong, sorry. The previous post, by FFC, I think says the truth of the matter. Next time I will seriously do a lot of research before just jumping in and opening my mouth... :(
No need to be sorry.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

One question. My ex-husband ans I divorced awile back. Even though it wasn't the reason for our divorce, he did cheat. Since it wasn't the reason for our divorce, does this mean I'm commiting adultery with my present husband? :?
FFC

Post by FFC »

jenwat3 wrote:One question. My ex-husband ans I divorced awile back. Even though it wasn't the reason for our divorce, he did cheat. Since it wasn't the reason for our divorce, does this mean I'm commiting adultery with my present husband? :?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking that regardless of whether you knew your ex cheated or not he still broke that bond by his adultrous actions.

jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Thank you. This one has been bothering me for a while.