Best Bible Translation?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Anonymous

Best Bible Translation?

Post by Anonymous »

I read from the 1611 KJV. Is there a better English translation out there? Or, the only way we can truly read from inerrant scripture is to know Hebrew and Greek? That seems kind of intense for me. Isn't that what a lot of people believe - that only the original texts are free from errors?
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Best Bible Translation?

Post by BavarianWheels »

PremoMD wrote:I read from the 1611 KJV. Is there a better English translation out there? Or, the only way we can truly read from inerrant scripture is to know Hebrew and Greek? That seems kind of intense for me. Isn't that what a lot of people believe - that only the original texts are free from errors?
While it would probably be best to be able to read and fully understand from the original text and/or language, most of the modern translations do a good job of translating the original into English.

Be wary of those that say one translation is the only or best translation. The fact of the matter is...the more translations you get aquainted with, the better the idea you can gather for the original intent and context.

There are some Bibles that have four translations within one Bible book...they are great to have and study by.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I personally like to use the NIV or NASB translations. e-Sword is also a great tool with it's builtin dictionary and so forth. Would recommend it to anyone who looks seriously at Scripture.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The best bible translation is your own!! lol 8)
The edge
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by The edge »

If you're interested to sort out the differences, get those bible with both KJV & NIV side by side.
These 2 version cover essentially the 2 main approaches of trranslation.

For me, my favourite in NKJV, tho my church uses KJ only.
meforevidence
Recognized Member

Best Translation

Post by meforevidence »

The best translation of the Old Testament is the Brenton's version of the Septuagint. The Septuagint was written in 250 B.C. The Bibles we have today came from the Masoretic Text which was written betwee 350 and 900 A.D. Many things changed with the Masoretic Text. see: http://www.geocities.com/bkitc/LXXHistory2.doc

For the New Testament, I refer to the Peshitta (I prefer the Etheridge version because it is more consistant) I also like to refer to the Vaticanus and the Siani texts when I can.

The further back one goes to the older texts, the more consistant and less contradictions.
Last edited by meforevidence on Thu May 04, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruth
Acquainted Member

Post by ruth »

Hello,
The best NT I have found is the NKJB Interlinear English/ Greek.
It was an eye opener for me.
Ruth
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

No Translation is perfect. I like elements of several. The NIV is themostbalanced I believe. The NKJV has done a good job of addressing some of the textual issues with the manuscripts used in 1611 utilizing the better ones since discovered. I grew up with the KJV and love the rishness of the language t has and so the effort to preserve that as much as possible while making needed corrections and updating the language where the english has changed is a noble one, although proabably not the best to use from a scholarly basis. Interlinears are useful tools, when combined with other good tools. They don't replace a working knowledge of greek grammar however. If you don't know that, you have to rely on other's knowledge and can be lead into their conclusions without realizing what is happening.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

I particularly like the NIV since it targets meaning rather than word for word translations. Sure not every exacy word or phrase is there, but the meanings are, and i think the meaning os the bible, not just memorizing the text, is most important. Also, the time the KJV was written for has long died out and while the meaning or context should stay the same, some of their phrases would not compute in the common, contemporary man or women...unless they were to research the word themselves at which point they have defeated the perpose lol.

Either way, if you like that style, and understand it then go nuts i think...multiple versions might be confusing but if u can handle it then it might come in handy.
I found that by being an annoying person you're less annoyed by people.
bluesman
Established Member

You matter in the choice

Post by bluesman »

The Bible translation that was right for me has changed through my life.
The younger me liked the simple version I think was "Living Bible" and the
"Good News Bible".

I then spent sometime thinking the NIV was the best. Then I believed strongly that the KJV was the way to go.

Now I like my 4 version Bible of KJV, NASB, Amplified, and NIV.
Out of the 4 I like the NASB the most I think.

My point is that the version right for you is not what others think is the best.
Its about where you are and where you want to go in your understanding.

Here is a website I use sometimes
http://bible.cc/

It has a lot there I am still discovering

Michael Thomas
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

I've always been a King James guy, but in the recent past I've tried the NIV, Amplified bible and the NASB. Right now I am thoroughly enjoying the New Century Version. Now my problem is which bible to memorize verses in. I usually just stick to the KJV since pretty much all of the verses I have memorized thus far has been from it.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

The NET.
JBirdAngel
Recognized Member

Post by JBirdAngel »

There can be alot more than just the various translations, also something to consider is the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic behind the various verisons.

there are different texts of the original langauges that are used to translate the Bible into english. The King James Bible uses what is called the Received Text/Textus Receptus.

Most new translations use what is called the Critical Text.

there are other "families" of text, such as the Majority text and such.

Opinions vary about which is closest to the original Scriptures, the Critical Text or the Textus Receptus, i have been looking into this, i still have questions, but i agree that a Bible based on the Received Text is the best to use as a main Bible. the KJV is built on this, and if you can understand the KJV, then there is no reason to stop using it, however as other suggest i think using more than 1 translation can be useful.

if you want to look into the different text basis you can search/google Critical Text or Received Text and such and come up with alot of info, not all of it useful.

when looking at different Bibles though realize that some differences are due to the different text used, such as it would appear that the body text of the NASB takes out some of 1 John 5:7-8, it looks like it does footnote it though.

Biblegateway.com is a site i use to check various translations, if you want to you could look at the different verses there and see how they read.

i am not sure how crucial the issue of the textual basis is, such as if something is basedon the Critical Text or Received Text, and i cant properly explain them probably, but i figure if i can read one that is closer to the words the authors wrote, that God inspired, why would i read a different text?

i also agree with literal translation, word for word, is best, not what someone decides is the thought that is trying to be communicated.

the NKJV, is said by some who are for the Received Text, to not be the best Bible because of its footnotes that show the different manuscript variations, and that the OT text is different than the one used in the KJV, and other reasons.

in my understanding there are also the MKJV and LITV, KJ21 which are Textus Receptus/Received Text Based

i cant really explain, i would use a Received Text Bible, such as the KJV as your main Bible, and with understanding some differences in verses its not bad to see how other verses translate things.

you can also go to blueletterBible.org

and go to a verse, there are buttons by the verses, one with a "C" on it, this will take you to a lexicon for the original langauge, and you can without knowing any Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic see different definitions or way of using the word behind the translation.

although im not sure if those are the best lexicons/dictionaries for those words.

above all, trust Jesus, and the Holy Spirit who teaches us the truth of all things :)

1 John 1:9 KJV
9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

thank you - jason
Kerux
Established Member

Post by Kerux »

Been using the KJV since I was saved because if it was good enough for Paul, I figure it's good enough for me. :D

Of course, I believe my views to be true.
If I didn't, I would change my views.
Kerux
Established Member

Post by Kerux »

Kurieuo wrote:e-Sword is also a great tool with it's builtin dictionary and so forth. Would recommend it to anyone who looks seriously at Scripture.Kurieuo.
Thanks much for that reference, been looking for something like that for quite awhile since I travel so much.

Of course, I believe my views to be true.
If I didn't, I would change my views.