Judge or be Judged - Removing specks from eyes

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Judge or be Judged - Removing specks from eyes

Post by RGeeB »

Here's a question that has been bothering me - How do you show intolerance through love for an unbeliever's contra-scriptural actions?

My friendship with non-Christians has an evangelistic bias. Am I correct in believing that approaches to Christians erring in their ways are different from attempts to convict an unbeliever (OK, the HS does the convicting).

How do you define the fine line between judging, legalising and turning a blind eye to a fellow Christian's errors?

G
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

RGeeB,

Here's a preface analogy and question for you that may help to put things into perspective.

You wake up in the middle of the night gasping for breath. You've just had a terrible nightmare that you lost your family in a plane crash. As you look down towards your sleeping spouse you mouth the words, "I was the only survivor..." Just then you realize why you really awoke. You hear screaming next door. From your bed you can see through the window to the house not 100 feet from yours. It is ablaze in fire!! Quickly you get out of your bed and put on some clothes with every intention to go call 911 then rush next door to see if you can help. As you're putting your jacket on you see your spouse still asleep on the bed. You start to think of how restful he/she looks and how comfortable those satin sheets feel. You look through the window again and hear another scream. You glance back at your bed... I didn't get a lot of sleep the last night, you reason to yourself. In your mind you hear, They're not your family nextdoor, they're not your responsibility. Besides, it's a really comfortable bed...

So, if you were in this position would you:
A) Get back into your bed and sleep the rest of the night away?
B) Finish putting on your jacket, call 911 and rush nextdoor?

I'll explain the reason for this seemingly obvious analogy after your response. Maybe you're getting the idea already though.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

The family can refuse to be saved if they refuse to believe that fire is destructive. You can forcibly save them, but salvation cannot be forced.

Also, even if they believe that fire is destructive, when do I give up if they refuse to believe that the house is on fire?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

As you noted, you don't convict. The HS does. Your job, as I understand things, is to be a witness when/how he calls you to be. No witness puts himself on the stand. He is put there by the court.

When do you give up? I don't think you do. You always make yourself available to be the witness that God has called you to be. Much of that, naturally, comes from your lifestyle. More of it comes through prayer, but, God willing, there will be those times when you get/are called to speak the words themselves. As has been said:

"Preach the Gospel; when necessary, use words."

I forget who that came from . . . *shrug*
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The analogy is not necessarily about salvation. The underlying question is from James 4:17 .

What is the right thing to do? When you see a brother stumble or err this is the exhortation Paul gives:
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Gal 6:1
Physically speaking, if you're Christian or non-Christian friend was in a fire next door, I'm pretty sure you'd do everything possible to rescue them from that fire. If they sat on the couch watching tv, believing that there was no fire (who would ever do that who has eyes to see and a brain that works?) I'm sure you'd drag them from the couch, out the door and into the front yard. So, that's the fleshly viewpoint --> someone in danger, save from danger.

Spiritually speaking, first read this article and grab hold of the analogy it portrays: http://www.livingwaters.com/articles_growth_03.shtml

In Jude 1:23 we're given a similar directive. You physically care for your friends and family so much that you'd pull them out of a burning house. Howbeit we put different directives and rules for their spiritual danger? If they don't have any eyes to see or a brain that works John 12:37-41 then they won't be able to discern the fire's destructive nature. That's where you are so needed! Speak to your Christian/non-Christian friend about the truth - convince them through the law (10 commandments - see Gal 3:24 + Rom 3:19,20) that they are a debtor to God and will suffer His eternal wrath if they have not believed on His Son John 3:36. Speak to your Christian brother/sister about your concern for their err. Don't speak on your own accord but show through scripture that it is not you who is judging them but God who has already judged the matter (point to verse). If you love them, which I know that you do, then pull them from the fire of their destructive ways that lead to death James 1:15. No one in hell is going to say, "Thanks - thanks for not taking the time to speak to me about everlasting life and how I may avoid this place." In Luke 16 you'll notice that the rich man who ended up in hell immediately became an evangelist - Luke 16:19-31 .

Please understand my note. I don't mean to be presumptuous, maybe you didn't want to hear all of this but I really hope it can help to spur you on to good works/evangelistic bias regarding your friends. Don't turn a blind eye - I'd rather do something and be wrong than not do anything at all (which in essence is wrong too). Pray that the Lord would give you zeal with knowledge. If you'd like training I'd recommend visiting livingwaters.com. That's where I learned so many tools and tips for preaching the word in season and out - how to reach specific people with the gospel. It'll help you with a lot of your questions and concerns.

Jac,
No where in scripture have I found a direct command from the Lord to pray for the lost - if you have please let me know! For brethren, yes - Jesus did in John's gospel. For the former, I find Mat 9:36-38 . Praying the prayer for laborers then stepping out in faith to become one. The Holy Spirit is with you all the way (hence miracles).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sorry, I think that I was mixing up a few posts from other topics.
Excuse above if some things seem out of place (no sense).
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Prayer for the lost? 1 Tim. 2:1-4 seems to be pretty all encompassing:
  • First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (NASB)
We are told elsewhere that no man can come to Jesus unless called by the Father, but that the Father desires all to be saved. Jesus prays on behalf of those who come to Him, and they are thus forgiven by the Father, so why should we not entreat the Father to draw men to His Son? Of course, ultimately it is their decision whether or not to accept or reject Him, but . . . we know God can be "persuasive." ;)

Anyway, the point is that intercessory prayer is very, very common in the Bible. It was prayed all the time on behalf of the Jews (and I don't buy the Church=New Isreal comparison . . . even if it were, you can't insist that ALL the Jews were believers). It is prayed for in the NT. It is in line with the heart of God. Why, then, would we not pray for the lost, for God to reveal Himself to them?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, the verse in Timothy seems to just about imply every type of prayer you could think of. I was kind of looking for something like this:
"Pray for the salvation of the ungodly." Bible 7:13
If that was in there then I'd have no trouble at all - as of now I'm still undecided (ie: I find myself praying this!). I guess that I'm just trying to encourage people out of the prayer zone into the preaching zone. Don't get me wrong, intercessory prayer is a must (Jesus and the apostles were constantly praying) but we often replace prayer to God in exchange of preaching for God. Why? It sure is easier to talk to God about man, than to talk to man about God. I'll be the first to admit that truth.

2 Peter 3:9
God is patient towards us... not for them to make a decision to follow Jesus but for us to make the Gospel known. Bill Bright's book, "The Coming Revival", stated that less than 2% of Christians share their faith regularly.
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come. Mat 24:14
If that is true then we might be waiting for a while. Be merciful to us Lord.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

Thanks, good advice and encouragement above :)