hell is non-existence

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

hell is non-existence

Post by Prodigal Son »

another jw question/theory:

hell is simply non-existence rather than a place. i know their have been discussions on hell..but, could this idea have some merit?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Though I do believe hell is a literal place, your idea isn't instantly just dead because of my belief. All things exist because God allows it...so if God were to stop allowing it...well...you figure it out :wink:
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

It seems that if hell really was non-existance then the Bible would say "those not found in the Book of Life were thrown into darkness and are no more" rather than "were thrown into the lake of fire for eternal suffering."

It's not really clear though; in the end we don't know. It's more aweful than we can imagine, and that's enough for me.
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

I'm not sure I follow, if hell is non-existence why is it punishment? The Bible clearly states that those who are in hell will be aware that they are suffering, but if it's non-existence they cannot be aware.

"There are two aspects to the punishment in hell--the pain of loss and the pain of sense. The pain of loss is the absence of all that is good; most significantly it is separation from God. This does not mean that God is not in hell, it means that those in hell will have no relationship with God and will not experience any His love, grace, or blessing. In other words, they will be cut off from any enjoyment of His spectaculor glory. This is the meaning of the image of darkness used to describe the fate of the lost. Those in hell will experience God's wrath and justice. The pain of sense is the suffering of torment in the body and soul--the addition of undesired punishment. Both of these aspects of hell are conveyed by Jesus in Matthew 25:41, when He says to the lost "Depart from Me [the punishment of loss], you cursed, into the everlasting fire [the punishment of sense--torment] prepared for the devil and his angels." In summary, the punishment of loss is the subtraction of blessing and the punishment of sense is the addition of physical and spiritual torment."
Matt Perman
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

If hell were eternal punishment then John 3:16 should read "..and whomever shall believe in Him shall not burn forever, but live in a paradise" instead of "....and whomever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life" It would also read in another part of the Bible "The penalty for sin is eternal suffering being burned up" instead of "The penalty for sin is death". According to hell being a place of eternal suffering, all have eternal life, instead of just believers, which is in direct contradiction to what the Bible says. Also, God is love, torturing people for an infinite amount of time for a finite human life isn't love.

As for the argument it says their punishment will last forever. Isn't being eternally dead lasting forever?

Also, think back to ancient times. What was fire often used for? Burning garbage, annihilating stuff. That is why several times Jesus compares Hell to Gehenna, or the garbage dump of Jerusalem. Some translations, like the James King Bible translate Gehenna as "hellfire" or something similar.
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

voicingmaster wrote:If hell were eternal punishment then John 3:16 should read "..and whomever shall believe in Him shall not burn forever, but live in a paradise" instead of "....and whomever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life" It would also read in another part of the Bible "The penalty for sin is eternal suffering being burned up" instead of "The penalty for sin is death".
These are decent points you bring up... And they're really the same thing I did with the verses about endless suffering.

So my thinking is that we have to take a few steps back in order to understand how both viewpoints can make sense. The question then becomes, what does it mean to perish? Can you be dead but still exist?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Since God is life, death is necessarily being in the abscence of God (spiritual death). You also have to ignore the verses that talk about gnashing of teeth and that Satan will be chained to a burning lake for 1000 years, released, and tossed in again with everyone else.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Since God is life, death is necessarily being in the abscence of God (spiritual death). You also have to ignore the verses that talk about gnashing of teeth and that Satan will be chained to a burning lake for 1000 years, released, and tossed in again with everyone else.
He's actually thrown into the abyss for 1000 years, released, then thrown into the lake of fire which is the eternal hell. I don't think the abyss counts as Hell as we generally think of it.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

You also have to ignore the verses that talk about gnashing of teeth
They can't gnash their teeth before being disintegrated in the fire?

So my thinking is that we have to take a few steps back in order to understand how both viewpoints can make sense. The question then becomes, what does it mean to perish? Can you be dead but still exist?
Since fire is meant to engulf and destroy, I'd say no, one wouldn't still be existing after being thrown into hell.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Satan is tossed in a burning lake for a 1000 years without suffering such effects. Spiritual fire may not be completely analogous to physical fire. It may not destroy spirit like physical fire destroys matter.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Satan is tossed in a burning lake for a 1000 years without suffering such effects. Spiritual fire may not be completely analogous to physical fire. It may not destroy spirit like physical fire destroys matter.
No, he gets thrown into a bottomless pit for 1000 years. Then cast into the fire and disintegrated with the others.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

He's chained to a burning lake for the 1000 years

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Nope, he's definately bound into some sort of Abyss for a thousand years, no mention of fire in that passage.

Proof:
http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?boo ... xt=context
CountryBoy
Established Member

Post by CountryBoy »

Well whatever, lake, abyss...He will be gnashing those yeller teeth :twisted:
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

OK, first the abyss, then tossed into the lake of fire with all his compadres...doesn't mean he's destroyed.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous