Israel's "Ten Lost Tribes" - were they EVER truly lost?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Israel's "Ten Lost Tribes" - were they EVER truly lost?

Post by Philip »

This is a great video about the "10 lost tribes of Israel." I'm sure most here have at least heard this term used - but who were they - and where are they today? Before watching the video, read the background setup info below the video link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhJIG3JolI

A little background on the tribes of Israel, including those coined as "lost":

The original 12 Tribes of Israel, after Moses had died, and under the leadership of Joshua, took possession of Canaan, God's "Promised Land" for them. They included the Tribes of Judah, Benjamin, Asher, Dan, Ephraim, Gad, Issachar, Manasseh, Naphtali, Reuben, Simeon, and Zebulun - all of which descended from sons or grandsons of the patriarch Jacob. After Solomon died, and amidst great frictions and disagreements, in 930 BC, Israel broke apart into two kingdoms. With the "Ten Tribes" forming the independent Kingdom of Israel in the north (The Northern Kingdom), and the Tribes of Judah and Benjamin, set up the Kingdom of Judah in the south (the Southern Kingdom, with Jerusalem as it's capital. And after being overrun by the Assyrians, in 721 BC, the 10 tribes gradually disappeared from history - but what happened to them? (see video link above)

Joseph Smith on the "10 lost tribes":

And in another of his false / unfulfilled prophesies, Mormon leader Joseph Smith also spoke about the "10 lost tribes." On January 4, 1833, Smith asserted God had him to prophesy: “And now I am prepared to say by the authority of Jesus Christ, that not many years shall pass away before the United States shall present such a scene of bloodshed as has not a parallel in the history of our nation: pestilence, hail, famine, and earthquake will sweep the wicked of this generation from off the face of the land, to open and prepare the way for the return of the lost tribes of Israel from the north country…there are those now living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things which I have spoken, fulfilled.” (History of the Church by Joseph Smith, vol. I, pp. 315-316).