Take this cup.

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
zacchaeus
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Take this cup.

Post by zacchaeus »

Studying God (Jesus) as both fully man and fully God... A question with a friend came up in regards to why Jesus asked the Father if there was another way, would He take this cup? This was prompted by the thought of Jesus already knew the answer and He knew He came to be crucified. My immediate answer was because He was both fully man and fully God, and prayed to the Father as a human to 1) set the example and 2) His flesh was crying out what He was going through and about to endure. Somehow that didn't quite satisfy; myself either. Hence, the studying.

So now - I'm learning in depth about the 4 "cups" of passover and how it relates or corresponds. In my findings there is a belief that stems from possibly isaiah? Maybe? That only after "the cup" is taken comes the blessing and or redemption? And that Jesus in His last days was actually praying for us and that He wants the Father to take or remove the cup so that we can be redeemed or receive blessing?

Can anyone expound on this thought or study or help guide to a more foundational answer I can respond or discuss with my friend?

My issue if that is true is when Jesus prayed He was lit stressed out in the "flesh" He lit sweat blood and then an Angel actually ministered to His flesh and scripture says it strengthened Him???

I find all this fascinating. Thanks for your time in advance.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Take this cup.

Post by Fliegender »

The four cups of wine 🍷 in a Passover Seder are taken at various times during the meal. The four cups are, in order:

1. The cup of Sanctification
2. The cup of Plagues
3. The cup of Redemption
4. The cup of Praise

The cup Jesus refers to in the Scriptures is - most likely - the cup of Plagues. The leader in a Passover Seder (usually the father) will recount the story of the Exodus. Then his family fill their cups with wine for the second time. Each each recounting of the plague that the Egyptians went through, the assembled family and guests dip a finger into the wine 🍷 and let a drop fall in a dish, a white cloth or onto the table...except if it’s covered in Mom’s finest tablecloth!
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: Take this cup.

Post by Fliegender »

Minor edit:

The four cups of wine 🍷 in a Passover Seder are taken at various times during the meal. The four cups are, in order:

1. The cup of Sanctification
2. The cup of Plagues
3. The cup of Redemption
4. The cup of Praise

The cup Jesus refers to in the Scriptures is - most likely - the cup of Plagues. The leader in a Passover Seder (usually the father) will recount the story of the Exodus. Then his family fill their cups with wine for the second time. With each recounting of the plague that the Egyptians went through, the assembled family and guests dip a finger into the wine 🍷 and let a drop fall in a dish, a white cloth or onto the table...except if it’s covered in Mom’s finest tablecloth!
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill