What happens the moment after you die?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Fliegender
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Re: What happens the moment after you die

Post by Fliegender »

Philip wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:40 am The key to discerning between teachings of various Christian or "Christian" groups is, where do they derive their teachings - from the Bible or from man-made traditions tacked on to it - or teachings that outright contradict it? I absolutely HATE religion - because ALL of it, is built around either false deities and/or DOING stuff and works in an effort to please God - or some "god." Flie is right, there's plenty of hypocrisy amongst Christian groups - and many are simply cultural "Christians" - they aren't saved. But also, many people with various issues and false understandings still are, nonetheless, Christians! Why? Because God doesn't save people and make them instant theological or spiritual wizards. No! He saves them WHERE they are, in the midst of all of their stuff and begins to work on their heart and understandings. People are saved or not ONLY when they have submitted themselves to Christ in repentance and commitment to follow and do their best to obey Him. So, on some level, ALL true Christians will have various hypocritical and sinful things going on in their words and actions - because, though saved, they are still mortal and thus yet SINNERS! But, positionally, saved people are forgiven of ALL of their sins - past, present, future, as God views us as adopted sons and sees us not as we are in our flesh, but as we will one-day be when our flesh is no more. In fact, it's a common false belief about Christianity, that it teaches we are morally superior to everyone else - it does not and we are NOT! I've known many unsaved people who appear to conduct themselves in a far more moral manner than others that I know are Christians, but that have many messed up issues or beliefs. A brief scan of the characters God called His and used across Scripture shows those who are His, on this earth, can be really screwed up at times.

And Stu is correct, that just because there are issues and hypocrisy to be found amongst Christians, it is also VERY legitimate to ACCURATELY criticize cults, false religious garbage, and immorality. If we had to wait until we were morally perfect to correctly criticize, then NO one could. But God uses us right in our mess - if we are His and saved. This can morph into a silly debate - as to whom has the moral high-ground! And we also have to be very careful about demonizing lost people who God desires come to Him - otherwise, we become the ultimate hypocrites. And yet, there are legitimate criticisms - especially when aimed in truth at worldly lies and the unsaved who need to understand the truth - about both God and immorality.
Well, like you, I have no problem with people criticizing Christian denominations. Every single denomination merits strong criticism including the so-called “non-denomination” churches. My problem with Protestant zealots is that they like to hit on the Roman Catholic Church as if it were the Church of Satan itself. I was guilty of this myself in the past, so I understand the temptation to go that way. (I’m lookin’ at you, Stu :ebiggrin: )

Now, if you’re suggesting the RC Church is a cult then you’re just wrong. Your post isn’t clear about that. While the RC Church is one of the worst denominations when it comes to twisting the Bible to suit their theology, it isn’t a cult. It doesn’t fit the definition of a cult, unlike pseudo-Christian groups such as the Witnesses, the Mormons or Christian Science. And I could add Benny Hinn’s brand of theatrical Pentecostalism to this list of well-known cults.

Ultimately, you and I are in agreement in that we HATE religions. A quote often attributed to Augustine expresses this perfectly:

The Church is a harlot...but she’s my mother.*

Religion is the prostitute-mother many of us have in our Christian journey. That’s as clear as the water of a mountain spring.

:amen:

* the actual quote goes like this: Though she is a harlot at times, she is our mother.. Dorothy Day, à social activist first said it, not Thomas Aquinas or Augustine.
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Robinh12
Newbie Member

Re: What happens the moment after you die?

Post by Robinh12 »

Yes, Flie - I guess I was thinking of someone who knows at least some of the fundamentals of what is in the Bible but rejects much of it. I've seen people on this site do this - they pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe. Of course, cultural adherents can come from a variety of backgrounds. I know many long-time Catholics who regularly attend Mass but know nothing about the Bible or CC doctrine - and many of them, predictably, equate Catholicism with Christianity.
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Robinh12: Yes, Flie - I guess I was thinking of someone who knows at least some of the fundamentals of what is in the Bible but rejects much of it. I've seen people on this site do this - they pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe. Of course, cultural adherents can come from a variety of backgrounds. I know many long-time Catholics who regularly attend Mass but know nothing about the Bible or CC doctrine - and many of them, predictably, equate Catholicism with Christianity.
Hello, Robin - and welcome to the Godandscience.org forum.
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

Robinh12 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:51 pm Yes, Flie - I guess I was thinking of someone who knows at least some of the fundamentals of what is in the Bible but rejects much of it. I've seen people on this site do this - they pick and choose which parts of the Bible to believe. Of course, cultural adherents can come from a variety of backgrounds. I know many long-time Catholics who regularly attend Mass but know nothing about the Bible or CC doctrine - and many of them, predictably, equate Catholicism with Christianity.
Yeah... but the story in Revelation about the 7 Churches makes clear that even in the worst church, there are those who are saved...or ”Born-again Christians” to use Protestant biblespeak. So - like it or not - there are genuine Christians even in Roman Catholicism.

:incense:
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill