The pope now teaches people to accept homosexual people. What are your thoughts Christians?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Howwow1993
Newbie Member
Christian: No

The pope now teaches people to accept homosexual people. What are your thoughts Christians?

Post by Howwow1993 »

I am genuinely interested in hearing about what Christians think about homosexuality, now that the pope teaches people to be accepting individuals who are homosexual or bisexual.

How your belief been changed since then?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The pope now teaches people to accept homosexual people. What are your thoughts Christians?

Post by Stu »

Howwow1993 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:46 am I am genuinely interested in hearing about what Christians think about homosexuality, now that the pope teaches people to be accepting individuals who are homosexual or bisexual.

The pope is the false prophet so no surprises there.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The pope now teaches people to accept homosexual people. What are your thoughts Christians?

Post by RickD »

Nothing like a controversial topic with no context.
y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Howwow1993 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:46 am How your belief been changed since then?
Are you assuming that this has changed people's beliefs?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

And what do you mean by 'accepting'.

Accepting as in accepting it's not a sin?
Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

Howwow1993 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:46 am I am genuinely interested in hearing about what Christians think about homosexuality, now that the pope teaches people to be accepting individuals who are homosexual or bisexual.

I take it absolutely calmly. I have no right to condemn anyone for their preferences. As they say, do not judge and you will not be judged. I succumb to prejudice. As long as no one imposes their views on me, I am calm about these very views.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Challenger007 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 am

I take it absolutely calmly. I have no right to condemn anyone for their preferences. As they say, do not judge and you will not be judged. I succumb to prejudice. As long as no one imposes their views on me, I am calm about these very views.
Preferences? Well not if we are talking vanilla over chocolate...

But we are called to judge those within the church e.g Paul said a lot about the sexually immoral who were unrepentant.
DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

Since I'm not a Roman Catholic, the teaching of Jesus means more to me than the teaching of the Pope.

I think Jesus gives us a wonderful example in John 8:3-11
3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
11 “No one, sir,” she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
Jesus has two different messages to two different audiences.

To the judgmental religious elite Jesus said,
“Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

To the woman caught in sin, Jesus said
“neither do I condemn you. Go now and leave your life of sin.”
Fliegender
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Schroeder's Creation Perspective

Post by Fliegender »

I looked up what the pope had to say about homosexuals and there’s a lot on the internet and on YouTube. Here is my translation of the pope’s actual words:

Homosexuals have a right to be in our family. They are children of God, they have a right to their own family. We can’t expel someone from a family or make their life miserable because of this [homosexuality]. What we must do is to have a law on civil unions. They have a right to be legally protected.

While there’s some ambiguity in the pope’s statement, at no time does he say they should be married in the Roman Catholic Church. He was speaking about lay civil unions*. At some point when the present pope was Monseigneur of Buenos Aires, he did say that homosexuals should be blessed but apparently didn’t imply their unions should be blessed. When the Argentine government indicated it would allow homosexual marriage in 2002, the Monseigneur objected. By 2010 when the Argentine government passed a law allowing civil unions between homosexuals, the Monseigneur had a change of heart and approved of the law.

A civil union is essentially a legal marriage but not in a house of worship.

:amen:

*no pun intended
"I never said that all conservatives are stupid people but it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
-John Stuart Mill
Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

Nessa wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:07 pm

But we are called to judge those within the church e.g Paul said a lot about the sexually immoral who were unrepentant.
Who are the sexually immoral? Rapists and pedophiles? They are also subject to criminal liability. Homosexuality or bisexuality is not immoral behavior, it is a feature of a person, like character, temperament, etc. Perhaps the religious fanatics stuck in the Middle Ages will also understand this.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Challenger007 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 pm
Nessa wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:07 pm

Who are the sexually immoral? Rapists and pedophiles? They are also subject to criminal liability. Homosexuality or bisexuality is not immoral behavior, it is a feature of a person, like character, temperament, etc. Perhaps the religious fanatics stuck in the Middle Ages will also understand this.
Are you homosexual or just progressive?
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

That is not at all what Jesus taught.

Adulterers, drunkards and yes homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. It's that simple. Do not preach luke warm liberal man-made Christianity, you have to tell it like it is. Hell is a real place and Jesus mentioned it the most in the Bible. Jesus was a fire and brimstone teacher as were the apostles, they pulled no punches because the resting place of your eternal soul was on the line.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

I accept lgbt has people there is a difference. I mean should lgbt be beaten and killed? No. Jesus told us to love one another and help one another no kill those you think are sinful for you are doing much worst sin
Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

Stu wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 am

That is not at all what Jesus taught.

Adulterers, drunkards and yes homosexuals will not inherit the kingdom of God. It's that simple. Do not preach luke warm liberal man-made Christianity, you have to tell it like it is. Hell is a real place and Jesus mentioned it the most in the Bible. Jesus was a fire and brimstone teacher as were the apostles, they pulled no punches because the resting place of your eternal soul was on the line.
As for me, this is all manipulation of the church. The church has always denied what it cannot understand. You are referring to the teachings of Christ, but are you sure that his speeches were not edited by anyone to please church politics? Many centuries have passed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Fliegender wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:16 am I looked up what the pope had to say about homosexuals and there’s a lot on the internet and on YouTube. Here is my translation of the pope’s actual words:

Homosexuals have a right to be in our family. They are children of God, they have a right to their own family. We can’t expel someone from a family or make their life miserable because of this [homosexuality]. What we must do is to have a law on civil unions. They have a right to be legally protected.

While there’s some ambiguity in the pope’s statement, at no time does he say they should be married in the Roman Catholic Church. He was speaking about lay civil unions*. At some point when the present pope was Monseigneur of Buenos Aires, he did say that homosexuals should be blessed but apparently didn’t imply their unions should be blessed. When the Argentine government indicated it would allow homosexual marriage in 2002, the Monseigneur objected. By 2010 when the Argentine government passed a law allowing civil unions between homosexuals, the Monseigneur had a change of heart and approved of the law.

A civil union is essentially a legal marriage but not in a house of worship.

:amen:

*no pun intended
Thank you for the context that was missing from the original post. I see nothing unbiblical about what you claim that the pope said here.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony