Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 187 times
Been liked: 338 times

Re: Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Post by Storyteller » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm

Kenny wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm
Kenny wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 am
Kenny wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 pm
RickD wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Keeping it simple...

Theism- A belief in the existence of God, the creator.
Atheism- A belief that God does not exist.
Agnosticism- A belief that there is no way to know if God exists, or doesn't exist.
How is this different than what I posted back on post #13?

Because what you posted here:
Theism/Atheism is based on belief concerning God
Agnosticism is based on belief concerning knowledge of God.
Is too vague, and makes it sound like of the three, agnosticism is the only one where knowledge is used.
Going by the description you provide, it IS the only one of the three where knowledge is used.

https://www.learnreligions.com/atheist- ... nce-248040

http://www.stanleycolors.com/2013/12/at ... l-you-are/
RickD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:43 pm
You're kidding, right?
Whenever you come to a point when you believe something, hopefully it's because you've used the knowledge that you've acquired, to get you to the point that you believe whatever it is that you believe.
Did you read the links I provided? Atheism is not about believing, it’s about NOT believing.
RickD wrote:
Unless you're saying that your atheism is a blind faith, not based on any logic whatsoever?

Is that what you're saying?
Faith is about believing, again atheism is the opposite; not believing. You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you.
Not believing in something (that God exists) is believing/b] that God doesnt exist.

Atheism is the belief that God doesnt exist. Not believing something exists is belief.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran

RickD
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 1062 times

Post by RickD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Storyteller wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:23 pm
Kenny wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 pm
Kenny wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am
RickD wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:11 am
Kenny wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 pm

How is this different than what I posted back on post #13?

Because what you posted here:
Theism/Atheism is based on belief concerning God
Agnosticism is based on belief concerning knowledge of God.
Is too vague, and makes it sound like of the three, agnosticism is the only one where knowledge is used.
Going by the description you provide, it IS the only one of the three where knowledge is used.

https://www.learnreligions.com/atheist- ... nce-248040

http://www.stanleycolors.com/2013/12/at ... l-you-are/
RickD wrote:
You're kidding, right?
Whenever you come to a point when you believe something, hopefully it's because you've used the knowledge that you've acquired, to get you to the point that you believe whatever it is that you believe.
Did you read the links I provided? Atheism is not about believing, it’s about NOT believing.
RickD wrote:
Unless you're saying that your atheism is a blind faith, not based on any logic whatsoever?

Is that what you're saying?
Faith is about believing, again atheism is the opposite; not believing. You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you.
Not believing in something (that God exists) is believing/b] that God doesnt exist.

Atheism is the belief that God doesnt exist. Not believing something exists is belief.

Storyteller,

There's where that pesky logic and reason are creeping in again. Remember, Kenny doesn't need logic and reason.

To show what we're saying is true, I challenge anyone to tell me one instance where #2 is NOT true if an atheist claims #1:

1) I don't believe God exists

2) I believe God doesn't exist
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Kenny wrote:
"You don’t need faith, logic, reason, proof, or anything else to be atheist, all you need to do is reject what someone told you."

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 73 times