Can we improve the 10 commandments?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

I can think of some
* thou shall not rape
* thou shall not own slaves
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Can we improve the 10 commandments?

Post by DBowling »

claysmithr wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 am Can we improve the 10 commandments?
I think Jesus said it best...

Matthew 22:37-40
37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment. 39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I can think of some
* thou shall not rape
There's no need to improve something that's obsolete.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 pm "Improve"
"Obsolete".

You'd be better off trying to improve the floppy disk.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

I think we are misunderstanding here.

The 10 commandments are not obsolete. They are the foundation.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm

I can think of some
* thou shall not rape
There's no need to improve something that's obsolete.
What?!

Sweet I can steal some stuff I like from my neighbour and then murder him in case I get caught. Excellent. Thanks Rick.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I'm not sure you guys really understand what it means to be a Christian. I don't think you understand what the significance of the new covenant is. By holding onto the old covenant, yes the 10 commandments are part of the old covenant, you are saying that the new covenant didn't replace the old. By holding onto the old covenant, you are saying that Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless.

You really need to think about the implications of your beliefs.

Do you guys have any idea what it means the be a Christian? Do you understand that when you trust in Christ for salvation, God indwells the believer, and this is a better way? A believer lives by the Spirit, and not by the flesh. Do you understand these basics of Christianity? God's law is written on the believer's heart. As a believer, you literally live by the guidance of the Holy Spirit, inside of you! Why would you want to try to please God by striving to obey the 10 commandments, when you can continue to trust in Christ(abide in Him), which will produce good fruit?

Do we seriously need a thread that goes back to the basics of Christianity, and the significance of Christ's death and resurrection?

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 am I'm not sure you guys really understand what it means to be a Christian. I don't think you understand what the significance of the new covenant is. By holding onto the old covenant, yes the 10 commandments are part of the old covenant, you are saying that the new covenant didn't replace the old. By holding onto the old covenant, you are saying that Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless.

Do you guys have any idea what it means the be a Christian? Do you understand that when you trust in Christ for salvation, God indwells the believer, and this is a better way? A believer lives by the Spirit, and not by the flesh. Do you understand these basics of Christianity? God's law is written on the believer's heart. As a believer, you literally live by the guidance of the Holy Spirit, inside of you! Why would you want to try to please God by striving to obey the 10 commandments, when you can continue to trust in Christ(abide in Him), which will produce good fruit?

Do we seriously need a thread that goes back to the basics of Christianity, and the significance of Christ's death and resurrection?
But even you need guidelines on how to be responsible before God and your fellow human beings...

The 10 C's list these 10 responsibilities.

In today's jargon, the word Love has been so twisted and redefined so many times and ways and diluted that 'love for God and others' can't be trusted coming out of the mouth of people anymore unless it is from the 10 guidelines of what responsibly to God and before others looks like... y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

B.W. wrote:
But even you need guidelines on how to be responsible before God and your fellow human beings...
What?

Do you not have the indwelling Holy Spirit? Why in the world would you need guidelines on how to love God and others, if you have God Himself inside you?
B.W. wrote:
In today's jargon, the word Love has been so twisted and redefined so many times and ways and diluted that 'love for God and others' can't be trusted coming out of the mouth of people anymore unless it is from the 10 guidelines of what responsibly to God and before others looks like...
You're telling me that as a spirit filled believer, you need a commandment to tell you not to murder someone? You need a written commandment to tell you that it's wrong to steal?

Have you forgotten the Holy Spirit inside you?

-Edward R Murrow

Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

I don't like the name of this thread. The 10 commandments do not need to be "improved" on by man. When man adds to Gods words it's never "improved".
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

RickD wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:21 am I'm not sure you guys really understand what it means to be a Christian. I don't think you understand what the significance of the new covenant is. By holding onto the old covenant, yes the 10 commandments are part of the old covenant, you are saying that the new covenant didn't replace the old. By holding onto the old covenant, you are saying that Christ's death and resurrection is meaningless.

There is something wrong with this comment. This comment is obtuse. New laws added to old laws are new laws. They do not make the old laws obsolete. The 10 commandments are God's law and they were NEVER replaced by the new testament. If you want to believe you are wrong.

God's law might be written on the heart as you say - and you will follow the old testament law as well.
Blessed
Valued Member

Post by Blessed »

RickD wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:42 pm
You're telling me that as a spirit filled believer, you need a commandment to tell you not to murder someone? You need a written commandment to tell you that it's wrong to steal?

Yes.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Blessed wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 am

There is something wrong with this comment. This comment is obtuse. New laws added to old laws are new laws. They do not make the old laws obsolete. The 10 commandments are God's law and they were NEVER replaced by the new testament. If you want to believe you are wrong.

God's law might be written on the heart as you say - and you will follow the old testament law as well.
You are simply wrong.

Hebrews 8:13

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The 10 commandments were the first ( or second if you count the Laws given to Noah) rules given to Man by God.
They were given to a specific people for a specific purpose ( to set Israel apart from its neighbors).
They were the first step, and
Christ was the second step and through Him we get:
The Holy Spirit was the 3rd and resurrection shall be the last, all made possible BY Christ and THROUGH Christ.

Each step brings us closer to God.

No need to improve on something that was stepping stone UNLESS you think that, somehow, Christ and the Holy Spirit NEED it.