Son of Sam/Son of Hope

Share how you became a Christian, or experiences from your Christian life.
Post Reply
User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 535 times
Been liked: 290 times

Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#1

Post by Nessa » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:41 pm

FL told me about this guy awhile ago when discussing God's unconditonal love.

Some people would think this guy is unworthy of it and they would be right.
But then, neither are we deserving of it either.

These users liked this post by Nessa:
thatkidakayoungguy (Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:04 pm)

Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 7160
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 552 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#2

Post by Philip » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 pm

Berk is evidence of one following his own hatred to terrible ends. Nowadays, he may well be truly saved. But he also truly deserves to stay in jail for the rest of his life. Actually, he deserves to be put to death. But that's in this life. I can easily see how unsaved people become consumed by their anger and hatred. Of course, we're seeing that more and more, with each new terrible headline of the unthinkable playing out on the streets! But it's not just the "way out there" wackos that their anger destroys them.

Not long ago, I had a great shock. I learned that a beautiful girl (both inside and out) I'd had a brief romance with, in my later teens, was murdered by her own husband. I'd always wondered what had become of her, and I happened to see an old lady who was from the same town, and so I asked about her. Seems her husband had terrible anger and jealously issues. She was a really wonderful Christian. From all outward indications, it appeared her husband was as well. He'd been a deacon and leader in his church. Turns out she'd sought her pastor out over her fears, yet received no real help, other than "to tough it out, prayerfully." And so, not long afterward, one terrible night (about three years ago), she was shot by her husband. He claimed she'd shot herself, despite many doubts by law enforcement. Not long afterward, many inconsistencies, questions and pressure by authorities began to mount. And so, right before being indited, he killed himself - destroyed by his own uncontrollable anger.

claysmithr
Established Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#3

Post by claysmithr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm

I know we all sin, but sometimes it gets me upset that cold blooded murderers can get into heaven, while my well meaning but unbelieving family will not be there.

I know God is perfectly JUST. It just irks me slightly, that's all :(

I know I should forgive because I have been forgiven. I guess he's human too.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3559
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Has liked: 226 times
Been liked: 104 times
Contact:

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#4

Post by neo-x » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 pm

No one is righteous, everyone has sinned, and all have earned death.
Son of Sam is a small example, consider the Enola gay pilots who dropped nukes over Japan, or Hitler killing 9 million people, or Churchill who hoarded grain and caused the Bengal famine in India killing 2 million poeple (something that is often swooped under the rug), or Stalin, Mao...yet despite the sheer injustice of it all of that they too can receive the same forgiveness, as that is what unconditional love of God is - it is unconditional.

It is not a "numbers" game.

However, on earth where divine forgiveness may not count for much other than for the person committing the crime, we also need to prevent it from happening again to the best of our abilities and understanding.
These users liked this post by neo-x:
thatkidakayoungguy (Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:07 pm)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.


//johnadavid.wordpress.com

claysmithr
Established Member
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:07 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 14 times
Contact:

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#5

Post by claysmithr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Just watched it, cool testimony to the power of God to save, similar to Paul I suppose.

The only thing keeping someone from being saved is their own stubborn heart.

User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#6

Post by LittleHamster » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Philip wrote: ........From all outward indications, it appeared her husband was as well. He'd been a deacon and leader in his church. Turns out she'd sought her pastor out over her fears, yet received no real help, other than "to tough it out, prayerfully." And so, not long afterward, one terrible night (about three years ago), she was shot by her husband. ......
Yep, my wife tells me there was a guy at church who always claimed he was speaking with angels. What a lovely man we thought. Later we found out he'd go home and beat up his wife.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#7

Post by LittleHamster » Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm

LittleHamster wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm
Philip wrote: ........From all outward indications, it appeared her husband was as well. He'd been a deacon and leader in his church. Turns out she'd sought her pastor out over her fears, yet received no real help, other than "to tough it out, prayerfully." And so, not long afterward, one terrible night (about three years ago), she was shot by her husband. ......
Yep, my wife tells me there was a guy at church who always claimed he was speaking with angels. What a lovely man we thought. Later we found out he'd go home and beat up his wife.
Update.... All is good. The wife and son left the abusive relationship (packed up and left while he was out one day). The guy still has no idea why the wife left him.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20093
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#8

Post by RickD » Sat May 26, 2018 3:31 pm

LittleHamster wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm
LittleHamster wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm
Philip wrote: ........From all outward indications, it appeared her husband was as well. He'd been a deacon and leader in his church. Turns out she'd sought her pastor out over her fears, yet received no real help, other than "to tough it out, prayerfully." And so, not long afterward, one terrible night (about three years ago), she was shot by her husband. ......
Yep, my wife tells me there was a guy at church who always claimed he was speaking with angels. What a lovely man we thought. Later we found out he'd go home and beat up his wife.
Update.... All is good. The wife and son left the abusive relationship (packed up and left while he was out one day). The guy still has no idea why the wife left him.
Maybe he can ask the angels.

What's sad, is that some pastors would tell the lady to stay with her husband to work it out.
These users liked this post by RickD:
LittleHamster (Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm)
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#9

Post by LittleHamster » Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm

RickD wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:31 pm
LittleHamster wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm
LittleHamster wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:15 pm
Philip wrote: ........From all outward indications, it appeared her husband was as well. He'd been a deacon and leader in his church. Turns out she'd sought her pastor out over her fears, yet received no real help, other than "to tough it out, prayerfully." And so, not long afterward, one terrible night (about three years ago), she was shot by her husband. ......
Yep, my wife tells me there was a guy at church who always claimed he was speaking with angels. What a lovely man we thought. Later we found out he'd go home and beat up his wife.
Update.... All is good. The wife and son left the abusive relationship (packed up and left while he was out one day). The guy still has no idea why the wife left him.
Maybe he can ask the angels.

What's sad, is that some pastors would tell the lady to stay with her husband to work it out.
Pastor: "In the name of the Lord, I ask that you and your husband stay together and work it out - just ignore the constant bruising and strangulation marks around your neck- they will go away eventually." /sarcasm - just in cast anyone misinterprets what I just posted.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 20093
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kitchen
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 982 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#10

Post by RickD » Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm

LittleHamster wrote:
Pastor: "In the name of the Lord, I ask that you and your husband stay together and work it out - just ignore the constant bruising and strangulation marks around your neck- they will go away eventually." /sarcasm - just in cast anyone misinterprets what I just posted.
I wouldn't worry about it Lil'Hamster. Nobody here ever gets offended by sarcasm.
:shock:
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:00 am
Christian: Yes
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 24 times

Re: Son of Sam/Son of Hope

#11

Post by LittleHamster » Sat May 26, 2018 4:05 pm

RickD wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 pm
LittleHamster wrote:
Pastor: "In the name of the Lord, I ask that you and your husband stay together and work it out - just ignore the constant bruising and strangulation marks around your neck- they will go away eventually." /sarcasm - just in cast anyone misinterprets what I just posted.
I wouldn't worry about it Lil'Hamster. Nobody here ever gets offended by sarcasm.
:shock:
Everyone knows that. It's even recorded in the Guinness book of world beer drinking. :cheers:
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times

Post Reply