Twenty arguments tor the existence of God

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Twenty arguments tor the existence of God

Post by Nessa »

To both Christians and Non Believers.
Which arguments do you find the most convincing/unconvincing?
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Twenty arguments tor the existence of God

Post by Nessa »

Just realised I forgot to put the link y#-o

http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics-more/ ... ence.htm#1
Katabole
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Well, I have fourteen. Not twenty.

God is the best explanation why anything exists rather than nothing.
God is the best explanation for the possibility of God's existence.
God is the best explanation for the origin of the universe.
God is the best explanation for the fine tuning of the universe in order for intelligent life to exist.
God is the best explanation for a universe with laws.
God is the best explanation for a universe that is rationally intelligible or comprehensible.
God is the best explanation for an objective moral reality within humanity.
God is the best explanation for existential choice or freedom to choose.
God is the best explanation for the emotion called love.
God is the best explanation for humans asking questions of ultimate purpose.
God is the best explanation for humans asking questions of ultimate justice.
God is the best explanation for the problem of evil.
God is the best explanation of the applicability of mathematics to the physical world.
God is the best explanation for the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The most convincing for me would be the last one I listed as I find the historical evidence for Jesus and the evidence of the existence of the Christian religion to be the icing on the cake when it comes to what belief system is true or false.

The least convincing would also be the last one I listed. Jesus is a historical figure. I do not know any ancient historian who denies Jesus existed. Even atheist historian Bart Ehrnam in his book, 'Did Jesus Exist?', clearly points out that Jesus is indeed a historical person and he wrote that book because he was tired of hearing fellow atheists who were not historians, make the false claim that Jesus did not exist.

So people can believe that Jesus did indeed exist and would be right in doing so from a historical perspective. Whether one believes Jesus is God Incarnate or not is entirely up to a person to choose to decide, which is why I would consider it to be the least convincing argument because it is directly upon the honesty of that person to weigh the evidence.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
winningedge101
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by winningedge101 »

I think without God atheists should follow atheism to its logical conclusion, the endless circle of nihilism and purposelessness. As for your question I'm not going to list twenty arguments but the first one I found really hit the target was the argument based on morality. This really made me think about why I did things. What was the purpose of being nice? Why should I be nice? Can I objectively denounce Hitler's Holocaust? Can I objectively denounce cannibalism and pedophilia? I think the morale argument is a tried and true argument for the existence of a moral lawgiver.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Everything I hear atheist scientists come up with as far as the Universe and how it got here is harder to believe than to simply believe Genesis 1:1. It takes more faith to believe man and his speculations than to believe the bible.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.