Does the Supernatural Exist?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Does the Supernatural Exist?

Post by Nessa »

Do you think there is any evidence for a Supernatural Realm?
Katabole
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Does the Supernatural Exist?

Post by Katabole »

That would depend on what you consider as "evidence". Many times, what we Christians consider as evidence is portrayed by non-believers as being not suitable to be used as evidence.

My answer to your question is yes. My evidence is the existence of the Christian religion, which I have stated before, should have been a belief system that disappeared from history shortly after it began if it were not true because anyone who has seriously studied first century Christianity should know that Christians did everything wrong in order for Christianity to succeed.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

I don't think there is any hard evidence, as in quantifiable data gathered in a lab. I recall there was a guy offering a large sum of money for anybody who could under specific conditions 'prove' the supernatural. I'm sure it was probably rigged to be an almost impossible ask. I don't think the supernatural is defined or testable in such a way that it can be scrutinised under those conditions. In saying that I know that those in the field of parapsychology have some interesting findings. But nothing rock solid.
If evidence eye witness accounts can be taken onboard then there is a whole stack of evidence but it's so subjective to the individual. There have been literally hundreds of 'supernatural' events over history with multiple eye witnesses,like the resurrection of Jesus and sometimes hundreds witnessing the same event. Keeping in mind though that that also depends on your interpretation of what fits under 'supernatural'.

I think that the idea of heaven being an oasis up in the clouds somewhere is as most would agree and outdated idea. What we do know is is that there is a spiritual realm we know very little about. History has across cultures a very rich narrative of the spiritual realm, with many supernatural happenings.
It seems to me that within this realm is what we would call heaven but heaven doesn't make up the entirety of this realm. This idea comes across in scripture from the fall of the Angels and Lucifer to Satan having access to converse with God.
The nature of what exists within the spiritual realm is I believe something that we are incapable of understanding in this world. Although many people do try to assume an awful lot about a whole range of things to do with it. It is in my opinion speculation.
As is my own opinion.
It is fascinating to contemplate though, I spend too many hours lost in thought.

What I have come up with is that heaven must be on another plain of existence, a different dimension. This idea is very much in tune with modern quantum physics; multiple universes,
Alternate realities that exist all around us but we are not in tune to its frequency. Does the spirtual realm exists on just one of these plains or many?? Who knows.
But I see evidence for this in some of the most world renowned psychics they know things about deceased people that they should have no way of knowing. I'm not going to get into the nature of where this info may be coming from but it's coming from somewhere outside of our reality. The eye witness testimony of thousands of people across cultures who have experienced unworldly happenings from voodoo witchcraft, satanic conjurings, telepathy, NDE's, the UFO phenomenon, religious manifestations ect. I'm not saying that they are all evidence of the supernatural; mass hysteria, crackpots and liars would without a doubt make up a percentage but I think the body of evidence is just too high to dismiss every single case. I have looked into different phenonmen across the board and there are definitely some very interesting cases. Not to mention that I have seen an alien spacecraft up close and over a significant period of time, so I am myself one of these crackpots :ebiggrin:. That is not the only time I have experienced what I believe to be a snapshot into the supernatural.
That is why I am so fascinated by it.
It's like a radio station that can only pick up on one frequency at a time. We sometimes get a cross station and some background noise but we can only ever tune into one station at a time. I think that's how it is in this existence we live in, we are limited by the material constraints of our universe. I think these restraints are unshackled the moment we pass from this world into the next, we experience reality on a whole other plain, frequency, dimension.
I believe it's our souls true home, a truer reality than what we experience here.

Anyway enough of my ramblings :eugeek:
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I don't think there is any hard evidence, as in quantifiable data gathered in a lab. I recall there was a guy offering a large sum of money for anybody who could under specific conditions 'prove' the supernatural. I'm sure it was probably rigged to be an almost impossible ask. I don't think the supernatural is defined or testable in such a way that it can be scrutinised under those conditions. In saying that I know that those in the field of parapsychology have some interesting findings. But nothing rock solid.
If evidence eye witness accounts can be taken onboard then there is a whole stack of evidence but it's so subjective to the individual. There have been literally hundreds of 'supernatural' events over history with multiple eye witnesses,like the resurrection of Jesus and sometimes hundreds witnessing the same event. Keeping in mind though that that also depends on your interpretation of what fits under 'supernatural'.

I think that the idea of heaven being an oasis up in the clouds somewhere is as most would agree and outdated idea. What we do know is is that there is a spiritual realm we know very little about. History has across cultures a very rich narrative of the spiritual realm, with many supernatural happenings.
It seems to me that within this realm is what we would call heaven but heaven doesn't make up the entirety of this realm. This idea comes across in scripture from the fall of the Angels and Lucifer to Satan having access to converse with God.
The nature of what exists within the spiritual realm is I believe something that we are incapable of understanding in this world. Although many people do try to assume an awful lot about a whole range of things to do with it. It is in my opinion speculation.
As is my own opinion.
It is fascinating to contemplate though, I spend too many hours lost in thought.

What I have come up with is that heaven must be on another plain of existence, a different dimension. This idea is very much in tune with modern quantum physics; multiple universes,
Alternate realities that exist all around us but we are not in tune to its frequency. Does the spirtual realm exists on just one of these plains or many?? Who knows.
But I see evidence for this in some of the most world renowned psychics they know things about deceased people that they should have no way of knowing. I'm not going to get into the nature of where this info may be coming from but it's coming from somewhere outside of our reality. The eye witness testimony of thousands of people across cultures who have experienced unworldly happenings from voodoo witchcraft, satanic conjurings, telepathy, NDE's, the UFO phenomenon, religious manifestations ect. I'm not saying that they are all evidence of the supernatural; mass hysteria, crackpots and liars would without a doubt make up a percentage but I think the body of evidence is just too high to dismiss every single case. I have looked into different phenonmen across the board and there are definitely some very interesting cases. Not to mention that I have seen an alien spacecraft up close and over a significant period of time, so I am myself one of these crackpots :ebiggrin:. That is not the only time I have experienced what I believe to be a snapshot into the supernatural.
That is why I am so fascinated by it.
It's like a radio station that can only pick up on one frequency at a time. We sometimes get a cross station and some background noise but we can only ever tune into one station at a time. I think that's how it is in this existence we live in, we are limited by the material constraints of our universe. I think these restraints are unshackled the moment we pass from this world into the next, we experience reality on a whole other plain, frequency, dimension.
I believe it's our souls true home, a truer reality than what we experience here.

Anyway enough of my ramblings :eugeek:
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

There is, you just have to tweak your personal definition of proof.

I did that very thing myself when I was an atheist. Just turned a little valve in my mind, and all this pressure and stress was released, if you were to compare the mind to a steam-powered machine.

It goes back to what we say over and over ad nauseum to our secular guests: just a chance is all it takes. One tweak of that lever to the right, and you will be awash in God's love. Your fear of death will be gone, nothing really seems 'bad' anymore, since you trust in Him. And life finally seems to have meaning, rather than just a genetic mistake in a chaotic world without order.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

In some parts of the world -- demon worship / demonic activity is very real. And there are also multitudes of Angels -- some of which are Guardian angels who protect us. So - yes - the supernatural Does exist.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

No proof of supernatural. You Christians are all a bunch of kooks.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

More of your sense of humor coming out? About 'us Christians' being a bunch of kooks.

This is the 1st day of Summer? You're supposed to be Nice today.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:More of your sense of humor coming out? About 'us Christians' being a bunch of kooks.

No, this time I'm serious. All Christians are fruitcakes.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

crochet1949 wrote:More of your sense of humor coming out? About 'us Christians' being a bunch of kooks.

Actually, that starts tomorrow, and I'm conflicted.

It's the longest day of the year and earliest for when the sun goes up, but it means every day will be getting shorter from here until Christmas :(
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Hortator wrote:

It's the longest day of the year and earliest for when the sun goes up, but it means every day will be getting shorter from here until Christmas :(
And here I thought I was the only one to think the longest day of the year is also the most depressing. :esad:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Byblos wrote:
Hortator wrote:

And here I thought I was the only one to think the longest day of the year is also the most depressing. :esad:
How do you also feel about the winter solstice? Seems like the perfect day to hibernate.

But with the combination of New Years and the days getting longer, it also feels like an opportunity to come out of the gate sprinting for the new year!

That's one of the advantages to choosing Christ, I elaborated on above. There really is nothing "bad" about the natural world when you think about it, and believe it was designed for us. y>:D<
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Actually it's FaceBook that greeted me with Happy 1st day of Summer.
My calendar says that Today, Monday is summer solstice.

What's depressing for Me is when the time changes and it's Dark by 5:30.

Rick --Why are all Christians fruitcakes?
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Yes, the supernatural world IS another realm of existence.

Ephesians 6:10 - 18 or so. That there Is the physical world of flesh and blood AS well as the realm of principalities , against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, etc.

The last chapter or so of Revelation tells where satan, the false prophet and the beast will end up. There Will Be a real hell -- but it's Not meant for People. Only satan, etc. And there will be a Real heaven. Revelation calls it the New Jerusalem.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochetty46 wrote:
Rick --Why are all Christians fruitcakes?
Because I said so. y:p2 :cheeking: :jumping:

-Edward R Murrow