Do you fear death?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Do you fear death?

Post by Mallz »

Hahahaha, I guess I'm running the race with IceMobster.
My cousin committed suicide a couple months ago. I grew up with her and we were very close. I was not sad. I was happy for her. And a bit jealous she got to Him first (I just know she's going to flaunt having more knowledge/wisdom for a certain amount of 'time' at me when I see her again :lol: )
And I'm talking about this cousin: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... in#p141095
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

Mallz wrote:Hahahaha, I guess I'm running the race with IceMobster.
My cousin committed suicide a couple months ago. I grew up with her and we were very close. I was not sad. I was happy for her. And a bit jealous she got to Him first (I just know she's going to flaunt having more knowledge/wisdom for a certain amount of 'time' at me when I see her again :lol: )
And I'm talking about this cousin: http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... in#p141095
At the risk of sounding like a hippy, life is a journey, not a race.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

life is a journey, not a race.
I was referring to Pauls race. Life is a journey, eternally ^_^
..What's wrong with hippies?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

At the risk of sounding like a hippy, life is a journey, not a race.

I was referring to Pauls race. Life is a journey, eternally ^_^

actually, i think a case for life can be made for both ... imo, both a daily event and far reaching future events based journey. the daily race you win by staying on the path, the future events ... require a path and a plan and perseverance.
the races get you to your personal finish lines... the journey is the Story in your diary of your races.

What's wrong with hippies? y:-? yeah ... :D ... what's wrong with hippies ? :lol:

Am I a fool? no my friend, my brother... love is never foolish, always kind and everywhere thinking of those to love.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

Was the reason of her suicide "the love that could not be" between you two?

Ikr? They are talking with God and, as you said, I'd rather be jealous than sad. :mrgreen:
Storyteller wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:This question is primarily for those here who consider themselves to be atheist or agnostic.

Do you fear your own death?

Do you fear the death of the ones you love?
Of course not.

Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
We mourn our loss, not theirs.
The first thing that popped into my mind after reading this is the question: isn't that selfish?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Nope, it was a lapse in sanity plus an existential crisis to a choice that can't be taken back. We weren't 'together' for various reasons, but still in each others lives.
The first thing that popped into my mind, was: What loss..? y:-/
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Ice... Maybe.

Mallz... just the physical presence of them. Being able to hold them, touch them.

I suppose grief could be said to be selfish. It's easier to leave than be left behind.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

The bravado of an atheist who is alive, young, healthy concerning their own death is astounding!

Reality is another thing altogether - there will be fear.

oh well... time will tell...

:cheers:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Mallz... just the physical presence of them. Being able to hold them, touch them.
I don't know how to explain myself here, but I'll try. Physical expressions of love are fun and lovely, as they are living expressions of the Spirit. Have you ever felt someone who wasn't there? Know what someone far off is feeling? Calling them or just traveling to them because you know you're needed? Physical touch, verbal communication, endearing expressions.. All beautiful. All expressions. The Kingdom is not about eating and drinking [joy in physical expressions of life] (although it will be there), but about righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (of whom we were created to be living intimately with..). We are connected through the Spirit by Jesus.
Ever be in a situation where the feelings of your heart overtook the feelings of your body?
She is not dead. Our paths have been split and I look forward to them coming together again when they do. I didn't lose her, I gained a sealed eternal playmate. How do you morn someone who is far off having the time of their life? Mortality is a womb and will be comparable to such for the feeling of memory compared to eternity. We have all the time past its existence...
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Mallz wrote:
I don't know how to explain myself here, but I'll try. Physical expressions of love are fun and lovely, as they are living expressions of the Spirit. Have you ever felt someone who wasn't there? Know what someone far off is feeling? Calling them or just traveling to them because you know you're needed? Physical touch, verbal communication, endearing expressions.. All beautiful. All expressions. The Kingdom is not about eating and drinking [joy in physical expressions of life] (although it will be there), but about righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (of whom we were created to be living intimately with..). We are connected through the Spirit by Jesus.
Ever be in a situation where the feelings of your heart overtook the feelings of your body?
She is not dead. Our paths have been split and I look forward to them coming together again when they do. I didn't lose her, I gained a sealed eternal playmate. How do you morn someone who is far off having the time of their life? Mortality is a womb and will be comparable to such for the feeling of memory compared to eternity. We have all the time past its existence...
You did really well explaining :ebiggrin:
Enjoyed reading it.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Agree with nessa here, Mallz. That was one of the most beautiful things I have read.

And true.

y>:D<
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

IceMobster wrote:

Ikr? They are talking with God and, as you said, I'd rather be jealous than sad. :mrgreen:
Storyteller wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
RickD wrote:This question is primarily for those here who consider themselves to be atheist or agnostic.

Do you fear your own death?

Do you fear the death of the ones you love?
Of course not.

Which is why I don't understand why people cry at funerals, especially if they are Christian. Concerning it is a high possibility (if (s)he was a Christian) the dead person is in heaven or is talking to God, I don't get it why would you be sad.
The first thing that popped into my mind after reading this is the question: isn't that selfish?

Why yes; an example of self-indulgence such as I was so excoriated for mentioning.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Audie wrote: Why yes; an example of self-indulgence such as I was so excoriated for mentioning.
How/why were you excoriated?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Googling "excoriated".
y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony