Gods not dead..hes roooooaring like a lion

This area is for friendly discussions only. Post in a more relaxed setting without fear of being attacked. No sensitive topics allowed and strictly no debating!
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Gods not dead..hes roooooaring like a lion

Post by Nessa »

What did you guys think of this movie as far as apologetics goes?

Ive heard lennox refer to parts of the movie to bring his point across

HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Gods not dead..hes roooooaring like a lion

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

I personally have a pretty negative view of the movie....

For one the philosophy professor consistently used sophomoric fallacies (such as "hawking say's their is no god, are you disagreeing with hawking"?) which was extremely annoying. Also, the entire point of a philosophy class IS to discuss things such as "is god real" and "does morality exist." No university professor would ever start out with "we're not talking about god, he's not real." It just doesn't happen; it's ridiculous. Even the movie's title is ridiculous; Nietzsche was not literally saying "God is Dead" or "God never existed" when he famously said "god is dead." It's just pandering to a insecure audience.

I guess the main thing is how it seems to cater to uneducated southern evangelical audiences that have a bastardized view of College. College is portrayed as this evil atheist indoctrination center where Christian community or free thought does not exist in any way shape or form. The movie also tended to hint that he was the only Christian in that college and the professor was seeking to squash that differing thought; quite absurd. I go to a pretty secular, liberal college. It's nothing - in any way shape or form- like this ridiculous college he attends. College is supposed to make you think and ask the hard questions. Good professors at good college's do that very well, especially in a philosophy class. That's the point. And if we're being honest the reason most people leave their faith in college isn't because an evil philosophy professor convinced them god isn't real, it's because they wanted to drink, smoke and have sex.

It would be "ok" from an apologetic stand point if it wasn't just this erotic fantasy straw-man the whole time. A professor with a Doctorate in philosophy would not be a bumbling idiot saying idiotic, illogical, fallacious crap. There was no real philosophical opposition to the pro-god arguments in the movie, just dusty straw mans that don't exist in above-elementary apologetics.

The production value and acting was quite awful may I add.

Brutally honest opinion :)
pulvis sum
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
I guess the basics were there, as far as starting a conversation about apologetics. But IMO, the movie sucked. To me, there's nothing worse than a movie with a positive message, that has horrible acting. The same goes for music. If the message of a song is good, but the song just sucks, it's not something I enjoy.

Not to mention that as a believer who holds to the assurance of salvation, the movie failed in that regard too.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

HappyFlappyTheist wrote:I personally have a pretty negative view of the movie....

For one the philosophy professor consistently used sophomoric fallacies (such as "hawking say's their is no god, are you disagreeing with hawking"?) which was extremely annoying. Also, the entire point of a philosophy class IS to discuss things such as "is god real" and "does morality exist." No university professor would ever start out with "we're not talking about god, he's not real." It just doesn't happen; it's ridiculous. Even the movie's title is ridiculous; Nietzsche was not literally saying "God is Dead" or "God never existed" when he famously said "god is dead." It's just pandering to a insecure audience.

I guess the main thing is how it seems to cater to uneducated southern evangelical audiences that have a bastardized view of College. College is portrayed as this evil atheist indoctrination center where Christian community or free thought does not exist in any way shape or form. The movie also tended to hint that he was the only Christian in that college and the professor was seeking to squash that differing thought; quite absurd. I go to a pretty secular, liberal college. It's nothing - in any way shape or form- like this ridiculous college he attends. College is supposed to make you think and ask the hard questions. Good professors at good college's do that very well, especially in a philosophy class. That's the point. And if we're being honest the reason most people leave their faith in college isn't because an evil philosophy professor convinced them god isn't real, it's because they wanted to drink, smoke and have sex.

It would be "ok" from an apologetic stand point if it wasn't just this erotic fantasy straw-man the whole time. A professor with a Doctorate in philosophy would not be a bumbling idiot saying idiotic, illogical, fallacious crap. There was no real philosophical opposition to the pro-god arguments in the movie, just dusty straw mans that don't exist in above-elementary apologetics.

The production value and acting was quite awful may I add.

Brutally honest opinion :)
Hey, im beginning to appreciate 'brutally honest opinions' so thankyou for sharing yours :-)

You do bring up some really good points

And you're right, the acting wasn't the best but the main actor was cute so who cares, right? ;) kidding of course.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:
I guess the basics were there, as far as starting a conversation about apologetics. But IMO, the movie sucked. To me, there's nothing worse than a movie with a positive message, that has horrible acting. The same goes for music. If the message of a song is good, but the song just sucks, it's not something I enjoy.

Not to mention that as a believer who holds to the assurance of salvation, the movie failed in that regard too.
You mean you didnt like that acting part at the end? When the cute actor was bending over hercules....that whole death scene was pathetic...getting run over..
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

You mean you didnt like that acting part at the end? When the cute actor was bending over hercules....that whole death scene was pathetic...getting run over..
I guess I can't blame Kevin Sorbo. He could only act the script he was given. I guess when the acting is really bad, I kinda forget about the positive message they're trying to get across.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony