Scientists discover the world's first known warm-blooded fis

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
somebodyelse
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Scientists discover the world's first known warm-blooded fis

Post by somebodyelse »

Would this support evolution or no since it's still a fish?

probably the source of the quote: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1046464 - added by a moderator
The opah, or moonfish, is an oval-shaped denizen of the deep that would appear to be sluggish, given its cold-water habitat and ungainly body design.

But new research by NOAA Fisheries reveals this beautifully colored creature to be “the first fully warm-blooded fish that circulates heated blood throughout its body much like mammals and birds, giving it a competitive advantage in the cold ocean depths.”

“Before this discovery I was under the impression that this was a slow-moving fish, like most other in the cold environments,” Nicholas Wegner, of NOAA Fisheries’ Southwest Science Center in San Diego, said in a news release. “But because it can warm its body, it turns out to be a very active predator that chases down agile prey like squid, and can migrate long distances.”

Then opah’s unique gill design allows for a phenomenon known as “counter-current heat exchange,” which essentially involves warm blood leaving the body core to warm cold blood returning from the respiratory surface of the gills, where oxygen is absorbed.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Scientists discover the world's first known warm-blooded

Post by bippy123 »

somebodyelse wrote:Would this support evolution or no since it's still a fish?

The opah, or moonfish, is an oval-shaped denizen of the deep that would appear to be sluggish, given its cold-water habitat and ungainly body design.

But new research by NOAA Fisheries reveals this beautifully colored creature to be “the first fully warm-blooded fish that circulates heated blood throughout its body much like mammals and birds, giving it a competitive advantage in the cold ocean depths.”

“Before this discovery I was under the impression that this was a slow-moving fish, like most other in the cold environments,” Nicholas Wegner, of NOAA Fisheries’ Southwest Science Center in San Diego, said in a news release. “But because it can warm its body, it turns out to be a very active predator that chases down agile prey like squid, and can migrate long distances.”

Then opah’s unique gill design allows for a phenomenon known as “counter-current heat exchange,” which essentially involves warm blood leaving the body core to warm cold blood returning from the respiratory surface of the gills, where oxygen is absorbed.
Microevolution maybe , but not unguided Darwinian evolution .
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

When it is walking around on dry land, give me a call.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

jlay wrote:When it is walking around on dry land, give me a call.
:pound:
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Such predictable responses
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

But of course an intelligent designer couldn't design this cause u know that ....blind Darwinian Evolution did it!!!! Is the only answer that acceptable to a certain materialist here ;)
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

There is a fish that can walk outside the snakefish head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwgjW3AIJa4
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Audie wrote:Such predictable responses
I like fish! Let me know when it shows up at my local fishmarket. :D

FL :goodpost:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

UsagiTsukino wrote:
There is a fish that can walk outside the snakefish head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwgjW3AIJa4
Usagi, seeeeee just as Audi says , this proves Darwinian evolution !!!!!

What was I thinking in ever questioning it y#-o
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

It might be used as evidence for evolution but until scientists can actually demonstrate life evolves? Instead of just showing what was known long before Darwin reproduction and variations in reproduction such as dogs,or that life can adapt?I don't see no reason to believe life evolves.What science calls micro-evolution is just variations of reproduction,not life evolving.

The gap theory IMO explains the evidence in the earth a lot better than evolution does.Instead of looking at the age of the earth,the fossils,evidence of death and extinction and looking at it from a belief that life evolves? Instead look at the same evidence but think of it as evidence of a former world, a lost world that was on this earth,this world was totally different than this world we live in now.But think of it as evidence of a former world that existed that perished and don't look at it from an evolution point of view,and I think if you do? You'll agree it is evidence of a former world that existed on this earth that perished before God created this world on the earth we live in now since Genesis 1:3-31.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Disciplical
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Disciplical »

I am interested to hear what members here think of biologos.org, who promote evolution and Christianity together and evolution doesn't disprove Christianity nor creation.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Disciplical wrote:I am interested to hear what members here think of biologos.org, who promote evolution and Christianity together and evolution doesn't disprove Christianity nor creation.
Biologos is a very good website if you want to learn about Theistic Evolution.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

The headline is a bit misleading as endothermy has long been known in a variety of fish.

Such as is of interest and value in the article is in any case lost on those whose best response is some crude jape.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:The headline is a bit misleading as endothermy has long been known in a variety of fish.

Such as is of interest and value in the article is in any case lost on those whose best response is some crude jape.
Audie,

There you go again with your derogatory terms for Japanese. :shakehead:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Disciplical wrote:I am interested to hear what members here think of biologos.org, who promote evolution and Christianity together and evolution doesn't disprove Christianity nor creation.
Well disciplical, theistic evolution and intelligentbdesign are a lot closer then most people think theybarr . It was Rick that helped me to see that . It's possible that God could have front loaded the information within life through this process , but if you look at the odds that many scientists have given for this to happen by chance you will see that it's effectively ZERO.

And ID isn't anti evolution . It's anti naturalistic/pure chance evolution , but to say it had to happen through theistic evolution throws away the excellent analogy of the design analogy of the automobile . From the 1900's till now the automobile used the same body type but with different adaptations for speed and such. If you follow the cars adaptation you will see that the more advanced models came later yet they didn't evolve . They were each intelligently designed by a mind .