Can you describe the soul.

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
TheQuestor
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Can you describe the soul.

Post by TheQuestor »

And, if you know, how do you know, what it is that you believe, about the soul?

What is it?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Can you describe the soul.

Post by Jac3510 »

I highly recommend this resource: On the Soul

edit:

It might help to read this article first. In any case, the general idea across all of those many words is that the soul is the animating principle of the body. To deny the existence of the soul is to deny that the body has an animating principle, which is just self-contradictory, for it ammounts to saying that an animated thing is not animated. Further questions pertain to the nature of the soul--what we can know about it. Those further issues are discussed the materials just linked. I would also highly recommend ST 1a.75 and 76. And if anyone wants a book length treatment on the subject that isn't too hard of a read, I cannot more highly recommend Ed Feser's Philosophy of the Mind. If you want a taste of Feser's views for free, he has some posts on the subject, the first of which you can find here.

Tolle lege!
Last edited by Jac3510 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Jac3510 wrote:I highly recommend this resource: On the Soul
Oh please, not Aristotle again. Aristotle, was a writer, he wrote his ideas, thus Aristotle is related to Stephen King. So please, are you saying that the soul is a human invention? This, I know to be false, unless the soul is not real, but fiction.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

TheQuestor wrote:
Oh please, not Aristotle again. Aristotle, was a writer, he wrote his ideas, thus Aristotle is related to Stephen King. So please, are you saying that the soul is a human invention? This, I know to be false, unless the soul is not real, but fiction.
And you clearly are a fool, which is why I have never bothered replying to any of your posts. You've demonstrated that a long time ago. For the record, I didn't post the link for your benefit. Fools don't understand basic truth. I posted it for the benefit of others who are capable of having an actual conversation.

Feel free to cue the typical responses now about personal attacks and such nonsense. You're wrong on every conceivable level, and you're too uneducated to know it. Ignorance is forgivable. Foolishness is not. And so the cliche of the four types of people: the one who knows and knows he knows, the one who knows and knows not he knows, the one who knows not and knows he knows not, and the one who knows not and knows not he knows not. You are in the last category, and I won't waste my time on the likes of you. Were you of the of the third type, I would respond to you as per Prov 26:5. Given your hubris, you merit nothing more than Prov 26:4.

We've seen your kind too many times. You won't last long here. I've got far better things to do with my time. And there, my misguided, blinded friend, is the most of my time you'll get.

To the rest of the community: please note the edit to my reply above, as I offer a few more links that are easier to get through.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Jac3510 wrote:
TheQuestor wrote:
And you clearly are a fool, which is why I have never bothered replying to any of your posts. You've demonstrated that a long time ago. For the record, I didn't post the link for your benefit. Fools don't understand basic truth. I posted it for the benefit of others who are capable of having an actual conversation.

Feel free to cue the typical responses now about personal attacks and such nonsense. You're wrong on every conceivable level, and you're too uneducated to know it. Ignorance is forgivable. Foolishness is not. And so the cliche of the four types of people: the one who knows and knows he knows, the one who knows and knows not he knows, the one who knows not and knows he knows not, and the one who knows not and knows not he knows not. You are in the last category, and I won't waste my time on the likes of you. Were you of the of the third type, I would respond to you as per Prov 26:5. Given your hubris, you merit nothing more than Prov 26:4.

We've seen your kind too many times. You won't last long here. I've got far better things to do with my time. And there, my misguided, blinded friend, is the most of my time you'll get.

To the rest of the community: please note the edit to my reply above, as I offer a few more links that are easier to get through.
So again, are you saying that Aristotle created the soul?

This question, does not say anything about what I believe, but I will say again, that Aristotle would not be known to us today, if he were not an intelligent man, who chose to write. Just as Stephen King, would not be known to us today, if he were not an intelligent man, who chose to write.

Can you tell us what Aristotle knew about neurons and the electrical charges that travel between them?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

TheQuestor wrote:
Please stop wasting people's time with posts like this. Do you really have nothing better to do?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

RickD wrote:
TheQuestor wrote:
Please stop wasting people's time with posts like this. Do you really have nothing better to do?
Why does a question bother you so much?
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

When ever Jesus expounded on the scriptures He would start with Moses and end with the most recent prophet, because Genesis has all the foundations of any doctrine in the whole Bible.

So the answer to this Q would be there.

Genesis 2:7 When God breathed into the lifeless body of Adam the breath of life, either he HAD a living soul or he BECAME a living soul. which one?

God says "...he BECAME a living soul."

A soul is a living person.

Is that a ghostly thing or a physical one?

Exodus 1:5 "...all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob..." was Jacob a ghost generator?
Souls are people - offspring. God gives physical life. Life is given by God. It is a physical thing. The souls that came from Jacob were not ghosts but human lives.

If we want to add spooks, forces, auras, ghosts, spirits, demons, lights, into the picture - ask Satan the expert.
Genesis 3:4 & 5. "You shall surely not die" but will be as gods with increased knowledge and in a higher plane of existence.
When Adam sinned did this happen or did they die?
God told the truth - "To dust shalt thou return."

Satan's biggest lie is the very first lie, recorded in God's word. Why? because this lie has been the foundation of spiritualism - the worship of demons throughout history, and it is a doctrine upheld by the majority in modern Christendom.

I'd be very uncomfortable about that. But if I am not, miracles of deception are prepared for me. II Thessalonians 2:3,4,5.
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Starhunter wrote:When ever Jesus expounded on the scriptures He would start with Moses and end with the most recent prophet, because Genesis has all the foundations of any doctrine in the whole Bible.

So the answer to this Q would be there.

Genesis 2:7 When God breathed into the lifeless body of Adam the breath of life, either he HAD a living soul or he BECAME a living soul. which one?

God says "...he BECAME a living soul."

A soul is a living person.

Is that a ghostly thing or a physical one?

Exodus 1:5 "...all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob..." was Jacob a ghost generator?
Souls are people - offspring. God gives physical life. Life is given by God. It is a physical thing. The souls that came from Jacob were not ghosts but human lives.

If we want to add spooks, forces, auras, ghosts, spirits, demons, lights, into the picture - ask Satan the expert.
Genesis 3:4 & 5. "You shall surely not die" but will be as gods with increased knowledge and in a higher plane of existence.
When Adam sinned did this happen or did they die?
God told the truth - "To dust shalt thou return."

Satan's biggest lie is the very first lie, recorded in God's word. Why? because this lie has been the foundation of spiritualism - the worship of demons throughout history, and it is a doctrine upheld by the majority in modern Christendom.

I'd be very uncomfortable about that. But if I am not, miracles of deception are prepared for me. II Thessalonians 2:3,4,5.
Ah, so if the soul is a physical thing, then it could be DNA..... Excellent
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

TheQuestor wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
TheQuestor wrote:

This question, does not say anything about what I believe, but I will say again, that Aristotle would not be known to us today, if he were not an intelligent man, who chose to write. Just as Stephen King, would not be known to us today, if he were not an intelligent man, who chose to write.

Can you tell us what Aristotle knew about neurons and the electrical charges that travel between them?
I read somewhere you said you were catholic. If indeed you are (I don't know you so I will take your word for it) then if I may suggest to you that you reconsider your stance vis a vis aristotelian/tomistic metaphysics.

Merry Christmas.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Byblos wrote:
TheQuestor wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:
TheQuestor wrote:

I read somewhere you said you were catholic. If indeed you are (I don't know you so I will take your word for it) then if I may suggest to you that you reconsider your stance vis a vis aristotelian/tomistic metaphysics.

Merry Christmas.
That can hardly be true, since the Pope now is endorsing evolutionary theory, and has said that he would baptize aliens, if they ask. Reality, is often stranger than fiction. http://science.slashdot.org/story/14/10 ... -are-right http://www.examiner.com/article/pope-en ... god-s-plan
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Evolutionary theory and aristotelian/tomistic metaphysics are not incompatible. Am I to assume then that what can hardly be true is the claim that you are catholic?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
TheQuestor
Established Member

Post by TheQuestor »

Byblos wrote:Evolutionary theory and aristotelian/tomistic metaphysics are not incompatible. Am I to assume then that what can hardly be true is the claim that you are catholic?
Are you saying, that one billion Catholics, all must believe exactly what you choose, and that those who do not exactly share your beliefs, are by your assumption, not Catholic?