Gap Theory: Multiple Judgments ?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Gilligan
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Gap Theory: Multiple Judgments ?

Post by Gilligan »

Could there have been other judgments than the one in Genesis 1:2 which I assume was the most recent (End Pleistocene)?

I ask because of several events in ancient history:

Late Heavy Bombardment about four billion years ago

Snowball Earth about 700 million years ago

At least five other mass extinction events besides the End-Pleistocene (from End-Ordovician to End-Cretaceous)

Or could Lucifer have been responsible for some or all of these events?
What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid. - Romans 6:15
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Gap Theory: Multiple Judgments ?

Post by Philip »

Those on this board know that I lean toward a Progressive Creation view of the age of the universe and earth - a nearly 14 billion year old universe and a 4.5 billion year old earth. And I believe Genesis is both God-breathed and historical. But precisely HOW or HOW LONG that history took place, in my mind, is uncertain. But I do believe that, SOMEHOW, the text is historically true. But Genesis is not a science book. That said:

Many here may be surprised to learn that today's Hebrew scholars do not ascribe to possibility of the Gap Theory due to the construction of the Hebrew in Genesis 1:1-2. The rules of Hebrew Grammar don't allow for it. The Gap Theory is also known by scholars as the "Restitution Theory."

Here's a synoposis of the issue: http://michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedBible ... ap-theory/

Here, Hebrew scholar Bruce Waltke explains the issue surrounding the Restitution Theory (The Gap Theory), in great detail: http://www.michaelsheiser.com/TheNakedB ... Theory.pdf
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I accept the old earth Gap theory.

http://www.custance.org/Library/WFANDV/chap5.html
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Gilligan wrote:Could there have been other judgments than the one in Genesis 1:2 which I assume was the most recent (End Pleistocene)?

I ask because of several events in ancient history:

Late Heavy Bombardment about four billion years ago

Snowball Earth about 700 million years ago

At least five other mass extinction events besides the End-Pleistocene (from End-Ordovician to End-Cretaceous)

Or could Lucifer have been responsible for some or all of these events?
I can't speak for everybody and I know how Genesis 1 is controversial and how it divides Christian's based on interpretation but I accept the Gap theory and think there are scientific reasons to accept it.In Genesis 1:2 we read "And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep.And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

Well if we look into science they do teach that after the earth was formed and before any life billions of years ago the earth was covered in water and they say comets brought the water to the earth but they do say it was covered in water. Now if we read Genesis 1:2 again we can notice that it is not only flooded or covered in water but is also dark and this implies it is frozen too and so I think "Snow ball earth" can fit into it.

OK but also from Genesis 1:2 to Genesis 1:9-10 the earth is covered in water and God divides these waters and says "let the dry land appear" and yet this is also what science teaches that the continents rose up out of the water to form the land. So it seems Genesis and science teach the same thing or very similar but of course science is looking at it like it can happen naturally though but still it is similar.