Quick answers about Bible

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Quick answers about Bible

Post by UsagiTsukino » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm

Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?

Philip
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 396 times
Been liked: 639 times

Post by Philip » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:08 am

Usagi: Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?
Romans 1 talks about how ancient pagans knew of but rejected the true God, and instead chose to create and worship idols instead: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV

https://biblereasons.com/false-religions/

DBowling
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 170 times

Post by DBowling » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 pm

UsagiTsukino wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:26 pm
Is there anything in the bible about writing stories about make believe religions?
To build on Phillip's response, here are a couple of additional passages that might help...

Exodus 20:3-6
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 5 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
1 John 4:1-4
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4 You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am

So even if it's a fictional story in fansaty world it should be a no? yea, I didn't feel right about it either. So I abandoned it.

Nicki
Creation Position: Undecided
Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Nicki » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am

UsagiTsukino wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:07 am
So even if it's a fictional story in fansaty world it should be a no? yea, I didn't feel right about it either. So I abandoned it.
Were you writing a story like that? That might not be a good idea since you would be involving yourself in it deeply and thinking about it a lot. Just reading something with a made-up religion shouldn't be so involving though.

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Jesus said don’t call anyone father but the father in heaven. Why other churches have being called pastors father. Why?

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 347 times

Post by PaulSacramento » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 am

UsagiTsukino wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm
Jesus said don’t call anyone father but the father in heaven. Why other churches have being called pastors father. Why?
Jesus even makes the explicit statement to "call no one your father but your Father in heaven"?
Matthew 23:9

This is a direct statement to not call any one by the TITLE Father, that has not earned it ( unlike you biological father or God or one that has acted like a "father" to you).
It was a counter against those that revel and self-important titles.

Byblos
Old School
Has liked: 100 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Byblos » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:29 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:18 am
UsagiTsukino wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:28 pm
Jesus even makes the explicit statement to "call no one your father but your Father in heaven"?
Matthew 23:9

This is a direct statement to not call any one by the TITLE Father, that has not earned it ( unlike you biological father or God or one that has acted like a "father" to you).
It was a counter against those that revel and self-important titles.
It would help to contextualize it if you had quoted 8 thru 12 ( Matthew 23:8-12 ). In fact, chapter 12 in its entirety is a lesson in hypocrisy, not about calling someone rabbi or teacher or leader, not just father.
These users liked this post by Byblos:
PaulSacramento (Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:07 am)
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.