The Earth is 6000 years old?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

The Earth is 6000 years old?

Post by YoungApolegist »

YECs have hurt many people's views of christianity, and many people have detracted from it. What do y'all have to say?
" I think it is not only out of God's wisdom but also out of his love that he leaves in mystery what he leaves in mystery. If I had more knowledge I could be heartbroken. Thus we live in hope.
And then, maybe, when standing at the Heaven's gate, I will throw myself into his arms and weep everything out. With him, we can handle that." - 1over137
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Earth is 6000 years old?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

YoungApolegist wrote:YECs have hurt many people's views of christianity, and many people have detracted from it. What do y'all have to say?
uh...how about, ''Get a life''? There are far more important things to worry about, like ''Should the Holden Ute be exported to the USA?''

I think the time is right in North America (The USA, Mexico and that Other Place) to revive the old Chevrolet El Camino.

FL :D

PS: where is melanie when we need her???
Last edited by Furstentum Liechtenstein on Thu May 15, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Let's not paint all Y.E.C's with the same brush. There is nothing wrong with holding that position, but to look down on other Christians because they have a different interpretation is wrong.
Not all Y.E.C'ers do this.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I agree. I mean I agree with Daniel, not FL. The El Camino is junk.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote: The El Camino is junk.
DIE HERETIC! DIE!

FL :guns:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
RickD wrote: The El Camino is junk.
DIE HERETIC! DIE!

FL :guns:
The recoil of those guns is probably going to knock you onto your butt before you could even hit anything. Going all guns akimbo is really impractical. Even if you were to go with pistols (though the recoil is less of an issue so much as having to divide attention between multiple targets and the difficulty of aiming accurately with both hands.).
[I know this because I sometimes read on silly things like this.]
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member

Post by YoungApolegist »

If it seems like I was trying to devalue other christians, I was not.
" I think it is not only out of God's wisdom but also out of his love that he leaves in mystery what he leaves in mystery. If I had more knowledge I could be heartbroken. Thus we live in hope.
And then, maybe, when standing at the Heaven's gate, I will throw myself into his arms and weep everything out. With him, we can handle that." - 1over137
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

YoungApolegist wrote:If it seems like I was trying to devalue other christians, I was not.

So how do you think the Y.E.C position has hurt people?
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member

Post by YoungApolegist »

I'm not trying to say is that YECs are the problem here. What I'm saying is that the literal interpretation had raised a lot of questions (even in myself) regarding the scientific and historic accuracies of the bible. Also, I can't stand it when people say that in order to be a Christian, you must be a YEC. For John 3:16 says " For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that whomever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life." Even YECs I know agree that true salvation only comes through Jesus. Perhaps I need to word it better. My problem with SOME ( not all) YECs is that they categorize the YEC worldview as salvation.
Last edited by YoungApolegist on Thu May 15, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

YoungApolegist wrote:I'm not trying to say is that YECs are the problem here. What I'm saying is that the literal interpretation had raised a lot of questions (even in myself) regarding the scientific and historic accuracies of the bible. Also, I can't stand it when people say that in order to be a Christian, you must be a YEC. For John 3:16 says " For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that whomever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Even YECs I know agree that true salvation only comes through Jesus. Perhaps I need to word it better. My problem with SOME ( not all) YECs is that they categorize the YEC worldview as salvation.

Yes I have run into a few of these Y.E.C's but in my country they are in the minority, most people are pretty respectful.

Now as to a literal interpretation being unscientific, that all depends on what you mean by literal because all interpretations believe that is literally what the text means whether it is Theistic Evolution, Old Earth Creationism, Young Earth Creationism or Framework etc...

I wouldn't worry about it so much, even science could be wrong as that all comes down to interpretation of the evidence, personally I lean towards theistic evolution but I am open to evolution being a wrong interpretation of the evidence.
YoungApolegist
Recognized Member

Post by YoungApolegist »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
YoungApolegist wrote:I'm not trying to say is that YECs are the problem here. What I'm saying is that the literal interpretation had raised a lot of questions (even in myself) regarding the scientific and historic accuracies of the bible. Also, I can't stand it when people say that in order to be a Christian, you must be a YEC. For John 3:16 says " For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son so that whomever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Even YECs I know agree that true salvation only comes through Jesus. Perhaps I need to word it better. My problem with SOME ( not all) YECs is that they categorize the YEC worldview as salvation.

Yes I have run into a few of these Y.E.C's but in my country they are in the minority, most people are pretty respectful.
Now as to a literal interpretation being unscientific, that all depends on what you mean by literal because all interpretations believe that is literally what the text means whether it is Theistic Evolution, Old Earth Creationism, Young Earth Creationism or Framework etc...

I wouldn't worry about it so much, even science could be wrong as that all comes down to interpretation of the evidence, personally I lean towards theistic evolution but I am open to evolution being a wrong interpretation of the evidence.
Sorry, I dont know how quotes work. I mean to ask , "What country do you live in?"
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

YoungApolegist wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:

Sorry, I dont know how quotes work. I mean to ask , "What country do you live in?"
I am from the great south land called Australia, we like to call ourselves Aussies. There is a growing radical Y.E.C movement here but they are mainly ignored, we have quite a mixture of belief and absence of belief in regards to creation at my church but fundamentally we all agree it was God who kicked it all off. I have only ever had a couple of bad experiences with Barry blow ins who seem to think that not believing Y.E.C interpretation somehow effects Christs work on the cross and other such crazy idiocy, luckily these Pharisee's are few and far between. Your faith should be in Christ and Christ alone, not in some interpretation of an ancient text, be secure in your trust in God and don't let anyone tell you your not good enough for God. y@};-
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

YoungApolegist wrote:YECs have hurt many people's views of Christianity, and many people have detracted from it. What do y'all have to say?
Yec, generally gets a bad name, but much of YEC crowd are very nice people. Its only a handful of yec's who combine, salvation and 6 day creation, also you can equally find the same fundies in oec too.

Don't worry it will balance out eventually. I was a yec once, and all of my family is still yec. I have had some success with my sister when I told her about my views and she was understanding and supportive. I think she is an OEC at heart but just is too set in with yec to vacate it. Anyway not that it matters. Its alright.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

YoungApolegist wrote:YECs have hurt many people's views of christianity, and many people have detracted from it. What do y'all have to say?
Your statement is full of baloney. Here, let me reword it so that it accurately reflects reality:

''Christianity has hurt many people's view of Christianity; our innate sin-nature recoils from God.''

By calling yourself a Christian you set yourself up for ridicule. Your creation position is of no relevance to unbelievers.

FL :amen:

+ + +

+ + +
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Uum no. YEC is what Christianity should be while OEC is Christianity bowing to fallible science. But that's my take. I think it's supposed to be 6 000 - 10 000 though.
I could argue that OEC has hurt Christianity.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.