The Origin of Race

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
lexy
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes

The Origin of Race

Post by lexy »

Most people assumed Adam & Eve are white as depicted in story books, movies etc. Well assuming that's is true, both A & E would have White DNA ,so subsequently their children, grandchildren and so on will be White. I am curious though where the Negroid, Mongoloid etc came from. Climate/weather have nothing to do with a person physical features, they only affect a person pigmentation. Any one has convincing answers ? :shakehead:
Thadeyus
Established Member
Christian: No

Re: The Origin of Race

Post by Thadeyus »

All such differences are local adaptations to the various climates where in such physical traits appear.

Since all different variations can quite happily be shown to produce happy, bouncing children when they intermingle.....One can see that there is only one 'Human race'.

Also, Adam and or Eve might have been of any particular ethnicity...Or, indeed, of none effectively at all...Since, but the readings, they seem to have been far more unique than anything else put forwards.

Much cheers to all.
lexy
Acquainted Member

Post by lexy »

" All such differences are local adaptations to the various climates where in such physical traits appear." . Give me specific examples how ' local adaptations to the various climates ' could cause differences in physical traits. Are you saying ,for the sake of clarification, that a group of white people living in a year long hot climate will after a few generations become Negroid or Mongoloid and vice versa could also happen ?
Thadeyus
Established Member

Post by Thadeyus »

lexy wrote:Are you saying ,for the sake of clarification, that a group of white people living in a year long hot climate will after a few generations become Negroid or Mongoloid and vice versa could also happen ?
Um...basically....assuming a stone age/hunter gatherer level of existence? Then my answer would be 'Yes'. Though it would take more than a 'few' generations. It would take lots as in potentially thousands of years.

You'll also notice the second part of me previous answer in there as well.....

Taking the idea that Adam and Eve were 'unique'? ;)

Much cheers to all.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Thadyeus is right, much cheers to him. :cheers:

Look at dogs. Your answer is there: Chihuahuas to Great Danes, Pit Bulls to trembling Yorkies...all from common ancestors. Let them all loose and in a few generations, they'll all be dingos again. Uniform dingos, all over. Not just in Australia.

FL :spin:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
lexy
Acquainted Member

Post by lexy »

" Um...basically....assuming a stone age/hunter gatherer level of existence? Then my answer would be 'Yes'. Though it would take more than a 'few' generations. It would take lots as in potentially thousands of years " Really ?
Let's assume Adam & Eve, the first couple were White , their children were also White , and the subsequent generations were also White. And for one or two thousand years, live somewhere in a country with hot tropical climate all year long and they will eventually become Negroid as your theory suggested . Or if you like you can assume that Adam & Eve were Black and for the next two thousand years their subsequent offsprings, offsprings of the offsprings and so on , so on and so on were living in a temperate climate found in western Europe or North America they will eventually become White ? If this is true how is it that the Chinese or Japanese ( of Mongoloid race ) living in China/Japan for thousand of years enjoying similar temperate climate/weather as the Western world do not turn into White people? Let me bring it closer to home. Back in USA the Native Americans have been living in America for thousand of years before the advent of the Westerners enjoying the temperate climate and till today I dont see them turning to White. They still have the same physical characteristics when my ancestors found them some 500-600 years ago.

' Also, Adam and or Eve might have been of any particular ethnicity...Or, indeed, of none effectively at all...Since, but the readings, they seem to have been far more unique than anything else put forwards." Personally I dont believe A & E ever consider themselves as belonging to any ethnic group. They have no concept of race cause different ethnicity as we know it didnt exist back then. But that's not the issue. The issue here is that whatever physical characteristic they were first created/endowed, how is it possible they ( they I mean their offsprings some thousands years down the road ) were transformed into something completely opposite like night and day differences?

" they seem to have been far more unique than anything else put forwards." And what exactly this " unique " you are talking about ? You have anything to support this at all ?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

lexy wrote:Back in USA the Native Americans have been living in America for thousand of years before the advent of the Westerners enjoying the temperate climate and till today I dont see them turning to White. They still have the same physical characteristics when my ancestors found them some 500-600 years ago.
There has to be inbreeding for a dingo to turn into a chihuahua. And, there has to be interbreeding for chihuahuas to turn back into dingos. Many aboriginals in Canada look just like me: y:D tall, white & handsome, because there have been many mixed marriages.

Why do American aboriginals still look ''ethnic''? The answer probably has more to do with social factors than anything else.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Thadeyus
Established Member

Post by Thadeyus »

lexy wrote:Let's assume Adam & Eve, the first couple were White , their children were also White , and the subsequent generations were also White. And for one or two thousand years, live somewhere in a country with hot tropical climate all year long and they will eventually become Negroid as your theory suggested . Or if you like you can assume that Adam & Eve were Black and for the next two thousand years their subsequent offspring's, offsprings of the offsprings and so on , so on and so on were living in a temperate climate found in western Europe or North America they will eventually become White ? If this is true how is it that the Chinese or Japanese ( of Mongoloid race ) living in China/Japan for thousand of years enjoying similar temperate climate/weather as the Western world do not turn into White people? Let me bring it closer to home. Back in USA the Native Americans have been living in America for thousand of years before the advent of the Westerners enjoying the temperate climate and till today I don't see them turning to White. They still have the same physical characteristics when my ancestors found them some 500-600 years ago.
You asked a question. I offered an explanation. That you seem to not notice that Asians and native Americans(And other natives all across the globe) have inherited differences due to local environments seems lost on you.
lexy wrote:' Also, Adam and or Eve might have been of any particular ethnicity...Or, indeed, of none effectively at all...Since, but the readings, they seem to have been far more unique than anything else put forwards." Personally I don't believe A & E ever consider themselves as belonging to any ethnic group. They have no concept of race cause different ethnicity as we know it didn't exist back then. But that's not the issue. The issue here is that whatever physical characteristic they were first created/endowed, how is it possible they ( they I mean their offspring some thousands years down the road ) were transformed into something completely opposite like night and day differences?
It's called 'Adaption'. It takes place of multiple hundreds of thousands of years. As to 'What' Adam and Eve might actually have been...Well that's a very good and major type of question, isn't it?
lexy wrote:" they seem to have been far more unique than anything else put forwards." And what exactly this " unique " you are talking about ? You have anything to support this at all ?
So...Adam and Eve were created, from scratch, with no forebears (I've always wondered if they had belly-buttons) by divine intervention. Sorry the explanation for being 'unique' doesn't get any better than that. Now, since they were created by the divine..In the divine image no less....what do you think said divinity made their images like?
pat34lee
Recognized Member
Sex: Male

Post by pat34lee »

Race is not about where people went after they were dispersed. The people's languages were changed at the tower of Babel. I don't think that God randomly chose people for the language they received. I think he picked people with similar genetics to go each way. Those who spoke Chinese and went east had the genes that would combine to create what we see as Chinese today. Each group had the genetics to become either short, tall, dark or light, also round or oval eyes, shape of nose and mouth, hair and eye color, etc. The environment has never changed anyone from white to black or black to white. You have to have the genes.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I would also only add to this that unless one is prepared to posit five or six instances of independent human evolution, there's nothing particularly unique to how a Christian or Darwinian would answer this. The fact is simply that the original population (however large it may have been) adapted over the millennia as people multiplied and spread out. Those adaptations resulted in what we now (wrongly) call "race."

So what everyone else said. :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:I would also only add to this that unless one is prepared to posit five or six instances of independent human evolution, there's nothing particularly unique to how a Christian or Darwinian would answer this. The fact is simply that the original population (however large it may have been) adapted over the millennia as people multiplied and spread out. Those adaptations resulted in what we now (wrongly) call "race."

"Race"? And here I thought Americans were a different species to us Aussies.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I would also only add to this that unless one is prepared to posit five or six instances of independent human evolution, there's nothing particularly unique to how a Christian or Darwinian would answer this. The fact is simply that the original population (however large it may have been) adapted over the millennia as people multiplied and spread out. Those adaptations resulted in what we now (wrongly) call "race."

That's true K. Americans are homo sapien sapiens. Aussies are cro magnons. y:(|)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

That's true K. Americans are homo sapien sapiens. Aussies are cro magnons. y:(|)
Don't you just mean homo? (apologies to any gay people offended, I don't mean to call you all American) :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Don't you just mean homo? (apologies to any gay people offended, I don't mean to call you all American) :P
Touché. :clap:
I'll admit, I didn't think you cro magnons were so quick witted!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:I'll admit, I didn't think you cro magnons were so quick witted!
They have to be. Only way they can survive since you can't attribute depth of thought to them.

*AUSSIESLAM!!!!*

:lol: :pound: :mrgreen:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.