Humility

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Humility

Post by 1over137 »

I am reading Luke and read verses I give below. My intention of this thread is for all to share what they read in the Bible on humility and say something about it: feelings it trigerred, etc.

So today I came across this:
Luke 9:46-56 (NASB)
The Test of Greatness

46 An argument [aa]started among them as to which of them might be the greatest. 47 But Jesus, knowing [ab]what they were thinking in their heart, took a child and stood him by His side, 48 and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in My name receives Me, and whoever receives Me receives Him who sent Me; for the one who is least among all of you, this is the one who is great.”

49 John answered and said, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in Your name; and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow along with us.” 50 But Jesus said to him, “Do not hinder him; for he who is not against you is [ac]for you.”

51 When the days were approaching for His [ad]ascension, He [ae]was determined to go to Jerusalem; 52 and He sent messengers on ahead of Him, and they went and entered a village of the Samaritans to [af]make arrangements for Him. 53 But they did not receive Him, because [ag]He was traveling toward Jerusalem. 54 When His disciples James and John saw this, they said, “Lord, do You want us to command fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” 55 But He turned and rebuked them, [[ah]and said, “You do not know what kind of spirit you are of; 56 for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”] And they went on to another village.
I love to read such verses. It reminds me to try to be humble. There is no one who can boast.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
vanquish29
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Humility

Post by vanquish29 »

Philippians 2:5-11

New International Version (NIV)

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,