In the Bible...

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Celt
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

In the Bible...

Post by Celt »

What scripture(s) or Bible passages touch you, or you have stong feelings on/about. Thanks.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: In the Bible...

Post by PaulSacramento »

One of my favs has to be Paul in 1Corinthians 13:
The Excellence of Love

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.
jurek
Acquainted Member

Post by jurek »

1 John 5:13

I’m writing these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God. I’m doing it so you will know that you have eternal life.
I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life
My purpose in writing is simply this: that you who believe in God’s Son will know beyond the shadow of a doubt that you have eternal life, the reality and not the illusion.
I write this letter to you who believe in the Son of God so you will know you have eternal life.
I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life.
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

I pasted a sample of typical ways the verse is translated. Read this verse, chew and digests this verse again anytime anybody wants to deprive you of what you have in Christ, demotivate you to continue letting Christ to live through you or especially when any of the so called "christian churches" uses social engineering to make you dependent on their "only one and true interpretation of the truth" so that you stop living out your freedom in Christ by accepting the slavery to their brainwashing propaganda.

Always remember 1 John 5:13 without which you will be able to even start transformation Paul ask you to commit yourself fully and completely to: to the continual process of renewing your mind in Christ (Rom 2:12) which is an act of freedom. However, to be bold enough to make such step, you need to know that you are Christ's forever. This is the only source of such boldness. There is no other one and those who try to rule your mind know well about it - once they make you stop believing that your salvation is secure in Christ, they can do with your mind what they want, most often programming you to dependence on their propaganda. And this is not to just get your money. Even psychological books confirm that in some people the desire to have power to exercise influence on other people's mind and make them obey is stronger than sex drive and lust for material goods. Do not allow them to get hold of your mind.

John's verse will seal your freedom. Remember, once you have believed in Christ, you may now know (not count on, speculate, hope, etc.), again - you may know that you have eternal life and this is set once for all. Done.

Only knowing this you may start living, and you achieved the fullness if your life asking Christ to leave through you (Gal 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ. I don’t live any longer. Christ lives in me. My faith in the Son of God helps me to live my life in my body. He loved me. He gave himself for me.") If you do not know that you have eternal life (which is Christ in you) you are still dead in a spiritual sense. You may experience emotional doubts, this is normal, but the object of knowledge is a fact, you may not feel at some time that your emotions in a sense testify to the knowledge of eternal life, but it does not change your standing. Even though Atlantis astronauts experienced weightlessness at some times, they knew they were not done with gravitation, which would eventually bring them home. Christ is there pulling you back, don't believe those who do not want you to enjoy the treasure of this knowledge. They just want you to be back to your own efforts to get back to God because they either want to rule your mind, or have your money for their product supposed to bring you back home (whatever it could be, from their theological "teachings," emotional bribery (group belonging, etc.), and other devices to get your eyes from Christ and your mind from the knowledge that you have eternal life.

This is powerful verse, and it is not that often quoted.

Cheers
"But there's always a purpose in nonsense. Don't bother to examine a folly ”” ask yourself only what it accomplishes." (Ayn Rand)
"Don't give to dogs what belongs to God. They will only turn and attack you. Don't throw pearls down in front of pigs. They will trample all over them." (Matthew 7:6)
TGGIL
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by TGGIL »

My favorite..from KJV
James 1:2-4
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; 3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. 4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

James 1:12
Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Love to All!
TGGIL-The Greatest Gift Is Love
Stygian
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Stygian »

I felt a sort of inexplicable warmth when I first read this verse.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
GreyDeSilvisanctis
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by GreyDeSilvisanctis »

The scripture I had when I first started was Luke 2:52...
And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man. [NIV]
I never forgot that verse and from that day onward, 252 became my favorite, almost magical, number.
It's like a child saying: "I wanna grow up just like Jesus!"
Before, I was since birth labelled a Christian but never had the care in the world while I was in my early teens, growing up. This was the jump start of my faith. My mom used to tell me that when I was a boy I'd say the most ridiculous of things (at least in the perspective an unbeliever). When someone asked me where I lived, I said, "My home is in Heaven!" Where had my faith gone when I was older? Well, you get the picture.
in any case, faith like a child! Right?

~Grey :)
"ג Magna opera Domini, ד exquirenda omnibus, qui cupiunt ea." - Ps. 111:2 [NVV]

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth 'thrown in': aim at Earth and you will get neither." - C.S. Lewis
Celt
Familiar Member

Post by Celt »

Some great comments along with scriptures. One that hit home with me was Rom 1:20. I have always been a avid reader, the Bible was one of the books i picked up to read, with a bit of the intent to see how wrong it was ( being one of those if i cannot see it, it's not real) i came acroos and read this scripture, and it was like getting hit on the chin with a good left hook. '...invisible things from the creation...' (speaking of God's personality, qualities, along with in a spiritual sense) but the actual physical aspect of these scripture !! So many things in this world i did believe in that were invisible to me. Like wind, gravity, sound, etc. While i realize we can see the effects of these things, which just adds more power to this scripture, those forces are invisible. It was like getting slapped with a 'here you go hard head'
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Romans 8:1

The rest is just details as they say.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious