inspired or dictated?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

inspired or dictated?

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Do you think that the writers of the bible were capable of making errors and thus being in contradiction with each other? Do you think that God spoke to each person (however you see God) and thus they were "robots" that wrote word for word what God spoke?
My answer is yes to the first and no to the second.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: inspired or dictated?

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:Do you think that the writers of the bible were capable of making errors and thus being in contradiction with each other? Do you think that God spoke to each person (however you see God) and thus they were "robots" that wrote word for word what God spoke?
Joseph Smith made so many errors in his writings and contradictions as well as archeology errors that it should cause a Mormon blush to attempt a bait and switch… approach as you pose…

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. KJV

Joseph Smith altered the book of Revelation and look what happened to him…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Well that did not answer the question at all, could you do it again please. :?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:Well that did not answer the question at all, could you do it again please. :?
Joseph Smith made so many errors in his writings and contradictions as well as archeology errors that it should cause a Mormon blush to attempt a bait and switch… approach as you pose…

That is my answer...

I know how Mormon posters operate and know the bait and switch tactic they use very well…

The readers need to know what you are doing
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

You say I am a Mormon :lol: The good news of your "assumption" is I am not. I am simply Monotheistic rather than Polytheistic. The question is do you think there are errors, contradictions that can't be explained, sources other than from God..etc.?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:You say I am a Mormon :lol: The good news of your "assumption" is I am not. I am simply Monotheistic rather than Polytheistic. The question is do you think there are errors, contradictions that can't be explained, sources other than from God..etc.?
That's good to know - you came across as a Mormon…

Monotheistic – so can we assume you are Muslim?

All cults use the same tactics in various forms and degrees as do agnostics...
-
-
-
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

1stjohn0666 wrote:Do you think that the writers of the bible were capable of making errors and thus being in contradiction with each other? Do you think that God spoke to each person (however you see God) and thus they were "robots" that wrote word for word what God spoke?
I won't speak on behalf of others, but I'd say it's accurate to say that the orthodox position is that no, the original authors of the Scriptures were not capable of making errors or being in contradiction with each other. G-d used individuals as instruments to get His Words captured in the books of the Bible. Hence all of the, "Thus said the LORD"'s and not, "I'm pretty sure this is what the LORD says"'s. So, to be clear, I believe G-d inspired the writers of the Bible, but perhaps we differ on what inspired means. Could you give your definition so we can discuss with a common understanding?
And you mention you're monotheistic. That's great, as I am too, and so are the vast majority of people here. You do realize that calling believers of the Trinity polytheists is an old dishonest name-calling technique, don't you?
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

"inspired" an enlightening from God to do a job correctly or not is how I view inspired. Now with that I also hold that when any person spoke of "the scriptures" they were referring to the OT. The NT had not been scripture yet. Most only stood as letters to whom it may concerned.
As for putting Polytheistic in my post, I was giving the opposite of how I believe "simply monotheistic rather than polytheistic" <--- not name calling or I would have flat out said so. I was labeled JW, Mormon, and now Muslim. John 17:3 and all the other texts keep me believing in "the ONLY true GOD"
Here is the fact of 1stjohn0666 I AM MONOTHEIST, NOT A DENOMINATIONAL "CHURCHBOT" That is not directed at anyone.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:"inspired" an enlightening from God to do a job correctly or not is how I view inspired. Now with that I also hold that when any person spoke of "the scriptures" they were referring to the OT. The NT had not been scripture yet. Most only stood as letters to whom it may concerned.
As for putting Polytheistic in my post, I was giving the opposite of how I believe "simply monotheistic rather than polytheistic" <--- not name calling or I would have flat out said so. I was labeled JW, Mormon, and now Muslim. John 17:3 and all the other texts keep me believing in "the ONLY true GOD"
Here is the fact of 1stjohn0666 I AM MONOTHEIST, NOT A DENOMINATIONAL "CHURCHBOT" That is not directed at anyone.

I take it you are a Christadelphian. That is someone who teaches a different kind of Jesus than what the bible teaches a false gospel. The bible tells us to beware of false brethren as you do not believe in the biblical Jesus. You need to be honest with the people here of this forum and correctly identify yourself. That way people can actually have an honest dialogue with you instead pf playing a guessing game.

CARM has much to say on Christadelphianism:

http://carm.org/christadelphianism
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

I do not belong to any religious institution, is plain enough?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:I do not belong to any religious institution, is plain enough?
You hold the Christadelphian view on all points they do, therefore, I class you as a Christadelphian with a bent toward 666 anarchy.

So how come you hold to all the tenets of Christadelphianism if you are not?

Bit of honesty would be appropriate from you instead of vagueness. Just stating you are a monotheist is too vague and can mean anything. Please use a bit of honesty here but for now, your avatar name tells us all we need to know...

1stjohn666 means 1st john (means: outhouse) and 666 is the Mark of the Beast, the Antichrist number, therefore, please do not list yourself as a Christian on your profile. As for honesty, the 666 gives you away.

A true monotheist would not be a brick wall when talking to them. True monotheist stands up for their religious affiliations. They do not deny them. Agnostics and atheist don’t cower either, they at least are honest where they stand and identify themselves as agnostics or atheist. People can respect that. But to place on your profile, you are a Christian and then deny who Jesus Christ is, well, very revealing.

For now, you have aligned yourself completely to Christadelphian doctrine as documented in the majority of your post. So if people would like to respond to you, they need to read up on the cult of Christadelphianism to understand where you are coming from.
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

:lol:
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

1stjohn0666 wrote:"inspired" an enlightening from God to do a job correctly or not is how I view inspired. Now with that I also hold that when any person spoke of "the scriptures" they were referring to the OT. The NT had not been scripture yet. Most only stood as letters to whom it may concerned.
I would agree with your definition of inspired. I'm having trouble understanding you holding that view while still believing in the errancy of the Scriptures, though. In what way are they Divinely inspired to be correct, and what kind of mistakes are they capable of having? Are the mistakes inspired also, or are they just something G-d wasn't concerned with?
Also, I would agree, verses such as 2 Timothy 3:16 are speaking of the Tanakh, or the Old Testament. But, what do you make of this passage written by Peter?
2 Peter 3:14-16
"Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless, and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction."
Most of the books of the New Testament were originally letters, but many included statements to be read by entire congregations and to be spread among the Christian communities (Colossians 4:16, 2 Thessalonians 5:27, 1 Timothy 3:14, Revelation 1:3). Also, all of the letters included teaching on doctrines, so if Paul, Peter, John, Jude, and the author of Hebrews were chosen by G-d to be apostles and teachers, then why would He then inspire them to teach anything that wasn't true?
And as far as your use of the term polytheist in your previous post, I understand now. Sorry for any misunderstandings, but, as I'm sure you're aware of, Trinitarians often receive criticism for being "polytheists," while this is a blatant falsehood.
As far as verses such as John 17:3 keeping you believing in only the "ONLY true G-d," it certainly is an interesting text, and can easily seem to conflict with the Trinity. But are you aware of the danger of taking single verses from Scripture and using them to support any specific doctrine?
Let me ask one question. How many Lords are there?
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

There are many "Lords" in the bible, many "kings" also. Artexerxes was called "king of kings" Ezra 7:12 As for Lord in the divine sense I see 2 Lords, Lord God the Father and Lord Messiah Jesus. I see one God the Father and one Messiah Jesus. The Father is not the messiah as some believe, who I disagree with.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1stjohn0666 wrote:The Father is not the messiah ...
That's a fundamental Trinitarian belief. :fyi:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.