Book of Job

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Book of Job

Post by MAGSolo »

Is the book of Job literal or metaphorical? In other words did Job literally go through all those things or was it just a fable to teach us about patience and long-suffering?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Book of Job

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

It's literal.

If you want to imagine it's metaphorical, you can stuff it with any meaning that suits your fancy. That could be a great advantage for you, if you have some ax to grind.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

okay thats one vote for literal. a lot of people dont seem confident enough to answer.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I don't think it's a lack of confindance, but more of a lack of knowing what your intentions are.

People don't engage when they are constantly insulted all the time.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

MAGSolo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:49 pm

okay thats one vote for literal. a lot of people dont seem confident enough to answer.
I have seen plenty of Christians who don't even know if there is a book of Job in the Bible...but to your point, yes if you are pointing towards the events described in the book as to have actually happened then my answer would be yes, it is a literal piece of work, though I would caution as to not confuse it with the poetic - metaphoric language that can be used to allude to certain things but are not actually literal. For instance Job 1:19 is a small example:

...when suddenly a mighty wind swept in from the desert and struck the four corners of the house. It collapsed on them and they are dead, and I am the only one who has escaped to tell you!"

Now one can pretty well argue that unless its a straight box, a house may have more than four corners, but it can be easily deduced that the expression here to confirm that the entire house fell, that nothing was left standing. So while the event is literal the language at times could be metaphorical. Hope this clears it up for you.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

MAGSolo wrote:Is the book of Job literal or metaphorical? In other words did Job literally go through all those things or was it just a fable to teach us about patience and long-suffering?

Literal.

Although I am sure the author as had some fun with the language.

Silvertusk,
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

It is as literal as any other parable.
There is no evidence that Job existed per say, though there is also no reason to believe he didn't.
But to focus on that, kind of goes against what the Book of Job is teaching in its Genre and in its totality.
First we need to take into account ancient story telling and how they worded things to their audience, then realize what is the POINT of the story.
The book of Job has the obvious theme: Job is cursed by Satan, with God's permission, because he is so upright and honourable- point being that he is such because he is blessed. The story goes to show that Job is righteous because of his faith in God, even when that faith is tested, hence Satan is WRONG.
God always has know this ( never bet against an omnipotent being) and knows that Job will be rewarded in the end for his faith.
Job of course questions God on why all this is happening to Him and God reminds him that it is NOT his place to question, simply to accept that God is far above his understanding and, while God can accommodate Himself to US, God does so at HIS choosing, not ours.
Of course that is the surface "moral" of the story.
Theologically it goes deeper.
Reactionary
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Reactionary »

PaulSacramento wrote:Of course that is the surface "moral" of the story.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Reactionary wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Of course that is the surface "moral" of the story.
He looks like a svelt Steven Seagal.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

I believe the book is literal as well, however, it is considered one of the books of poetry which include Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.
PaulSacramento wrote:There is no evidence that Job existed per say, though there is also no reason to believe he didn't.
Some believe he is a direct descendant of Shem, Noah's son, named Jobab; Job for short:

Gen 10:29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Katabole wrote:I believe the book is literal as well, however, it is considered one of the books of poetry which include Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes and the Song of Solomon.
PaulSacramento wrote:There is no evidence that Job existed per say, though there is also no reason to believe he didn't.
Some believe he is a direct descendant of Shem, Noah's son, named Jobab; Job for short:

Gen 10:29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.
Perhaps, we don't know and, to be honest, it doesn't matter nor take away ( or add) to the purpose of the book.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

MAGSolo wrote:Is the book of Job literal or metaphorical? In other words did Job literally go through all those things or was it just a fable to teach us about patience and long-suffering?
Let me take a guess at what Magsolo is implying – God was so very unjust and cruel for casuing Job to suffer and cause all suffering and not a good God at all or even a god at all.

Correct Mag?

Please note Job 41:34 NKJV and Job 42:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10c.

Also note Job 33:14-33…

When one gives self over to the one mentioned in Job 41:34 they come under whose rule?

Then please note what John 12:31 says...

The mediator came…

God could have made people robotic in nature as you desire, but how could that really be absolutely just to the robot?

God is just in all his ways. He provided the mediator mentioned in Job 33:23, 24, 25, 26

Do you know him, Magsolo, or the king of pride?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

PaulSacramento wrote:[Job] is as literal as any other parable.
Jas 5:11 indicates that Job was a real person. Ditto for Eze 14:14, 20. Also, people in parables do not have names; Job is named and his history is given.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:[Job] is as literal as any other parable.
Jas 5:11 indicates that Job was a real person. Ditto for Eze 14:14, 20. Also, people in parables do not have names; Job is named and his history is given.

FL
Sure, not everyone agrees with that view of course.
My point is that whether Job was a real person or not was irrelevant to why the writer of Job wrote the book.
Jesus parable of Lazarus and the rich man was a parable too and he used names.
Granted there are some views in regards to that to not being "just" a parable or even a parable at all but a statement of what was to happen to Lazarus.
Either way, whether they were real people or not doesn't lend anymore credibility to the theology of the Book of Job.
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

B. W. wrote:
Let me take a guess at what Magsolo is implying – God was so very unjust and cruel for casuing Job to suffer and cause all suffering and not a good God at all or even a god at all.

Correct Mag?

Please note Job 41:34 NKJV and Job 42:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10c.

Also note Job 33:14-33…

When one gives self over to the one mentioned in Job 41:34 they come under whose rule?

Then please note what John 12:31 says...

The mediator came…

God could have made people robotic in nature as you desire, but how could that really be absolutely just to the robot?

God is just in all his ways. He provided the mediator mentioned in Job 33:23, 24, 25, 26

Do you know him, Magsolo, or the king of pride?
-
-
-
God didnt cause Job to suffer, he allowed him to suffer to prove a point to Satan. Thats not the same thing as causing him to suffer. The argument would be was it good and just by human standards for God to allow Job to suffer to prove a point to the devil. Who is Satan that God should be concerned with proving anything to him?
Last edited by MAGSolo on Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.