Scary Technology

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Scary Technology

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Found this list of the "top technology of 2011". Is it just me, or is all the neural implant stuff starting to get a little creepy. It feels like scientists are foregoing philosophical, ethical, and religious considerations and just experimenting with things without regard for any consequences.

http://io9.com/5871725/biggest-scientif ... hs-of-2011
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Scary Technology

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Can anyone say mind control.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

Definitely going to avoid that nonsense at all costs.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Found this list of the "top technology of 2011". Is it just me, or is all the neural implant stuff starting to get a little creepy.
I guess it depends on your perspective
Already demonstrated successfully in primates, the interface could soon allow humans to use next-generation prosthetic limbs (or even robotic exoskeletons) to actually feel objects in the real world.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

sandy_mcd wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:Found this list of the "top technology of 2011". Is it just me, or is all the neural implant stuff starting to get a little creepy.
Already demonstrated successfully in primates, the interface could soon allow humans to use next-generation prosthetic limbs (or even robotic exoskeletons) to actually feel objects in the real world.
That is fine if it is used ethically, but who is to say that it will remain so. They have already researched on chimps, what price did they pay?
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

sandy_mcd wrote:
Most technology is touted as 'the thing that will help save people with [insert problem here]'. But why would it stop there? I can't think of a single convincing proof from human history that assures me this won't end up hurting most people (particularly the mind-reading technology listed).

Maybe everyone just needs to play Bioshock or read a couple of books on the early modern world...
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I'm not an expert on these things, but some of those definitely make me uncomfortable. Imo, this is a place where Christian thinkers and apologists are going to need to develop in coming years.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Tina
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Tina »

Those things are scary. Terrified.....
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

narnia4 wrote:I'm not an expert on these things, but some of those definitely make me uncomfortable. Imo, this is a place where Christian thinkers and apologists are going to need to develop in coming years.
Yeah I do know how you feel. I am going to try and get a few opinions from some of the dualist Christian apologists over on William Lane Craig's reasonable faith board. But I did however inform another apologist friend of mine who does his own blog, Glenn Peoples who is out of New Zealand. People's holds to a view called "non reductive physicalism" and thus also holds to the SDA view of soul sleep but is not a SDA.

I asked him about the link above so I should be hearing from him pretty soon. I have a feeling that if this "breakthroughs" are proven true it won't hurt his view but the more popular substance dualist view, I'm not so sure. But then again the site that the origional post came from looks like a "pop" science type site and if it is than maybe alot of the stuff in that article is either not fully true or is greatly exagerated.

But anyway, if you are interested in Glenn People's ideas his podcast is called "Say hello to my little friend" if you type that into a search you should find it, that or his name Glenn Andrew Peoples. He's a very nice guy.

But anyway that's my current take on it.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

I don't know what Biblical or other religious implications this kind of stuff has, or whether it's against Christianity or whatever...but lots of technology could be seriously scary. I'm personally worried about the idea of semi-intelligent, self-replicating nanobots...
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity

When we reach the point of technological singularity I hope to God that I am no longer around.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Haha if I had to pick my two most frightening technological apocalypses are self-reproducing nanobots and super Artificial Intelligence. Both are rather frightening and likely impossible to stop once we get to that point...
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

Ivellious wrote:Haha if I had to pick my two most frightening technological apocalypses are self-reproducing nanobots and super Artificial Intelligence. Both are rather frightening and likely impossible to stop once we get to that point...
Kinda reminds me of Michael Chrichton's Prey.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

One thing I have to remind myself is what those who subscribe to dualism actually believe. We do believe that brain activity at least correlates with mind activity, we've know all along that signals are sent to the brain that allow us to see or feel certain things. So with that in mind the question becomes, how exactly do any of those hurt dualism? I don't really see any way that it does.

Now the technological singularity,that's a little far-fetched and if that happened I'd see some serious problems... but those who posit such a singularity are assuming that a number of unsolved issues CAN be solved and that we will "advance" at an exponential rate without ever slowing down or hitting a dead end.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

Well, there are obviously obstacles to being able to create true artificial life/intelligence. I don't necessarily anticipate that happening overnight. My point though, is that if and when we do create AI that can go beyond our own abilities, then it's likely too late to stop it.

Same with nanobots, but those could be used much sooner than the general public realize. My university has a lab (in conjunction with several other schools) dedicated to trying to develop tiny robots that could, given the proper materials, self-replicate. Basically, because nanobots are really difficult to manufacture because of their small size, scientists want to make robots that can assemble more of themselves so that we can just make one and then that one can produce the rest of their "team" needed to combat the illness in the body or whatever their purpose is. The frightening part of that is that if a nanobot were to malfunction, they are possibly unstoppable, especially if they have the capability to take resources around them and endlessly make more of themselves. Nanobots could also be weaponized in the wrong hands.