Music. Why do we have it?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
dorkmaster
Recognized Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Music. Why do we have it?

Post by dorkmaster »

So, I have been thinking about this for awhile now, why is it that human beings can produce music? And why does it affect us so much. I am an avid musician, actually studying music in college right now, and I listen to music about 90% of the time. I have noticed that even non-musicians listen to tons of music also though. Anyway, I guess my biggest concern with this is how evolution could explain how music is so sensual to humans and why we should even have the ability to create or understand it? I have heard music described as a "gift directly from God." What do you all think? How would the ability to create or process music in the way we do be an evolutionary factor? It does not seem like it would not be important from the evolutionary standpoint. Thanks.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Music. Why do we have it?

Post by Gman »

dorkmaster wrote:So, I have been thinking about this for awhile now, why is it that human beings can produce music? And why does it affect us so much. I am an avid musician, actually studying music in college right now, and I listen to music about 90% of the time. I have noticed that even non-musicians listen to tons of music also though. Anyway, I guess my biggest concern with this is how evolution could explain how music is so sensual to humans and why we should even have the ability to create or understand it? I have heard music described as a "gift directly from God." What do you all think? How would the ability to create or process music in the way we do be an evolutionary factor? It does not seem like it would not be important from the evolutionary standpoint. Thanks.
Yes.. That is correct. Music is a very spiritual component which actually can be used to either unite us or maybe even be used as a tool to harm as well.. Regardless is it a tool and a very special one at that.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8